Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What has happened to 4HV

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
hen918
Tue Jun 11 2019, 07:44PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I think a kickstarter for a new website with imported database would be a good idea. The website bit is easy, the importing all the old data, not so much
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jun 13 2019, 07:04AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Long story short.

We tried in the admin team to work on this, it is no trivial task to convert 3 old legacy databases into a new system. Eventually this died out for various reasons

Two years ago we were some users from 4hv that started a new forum, HighVoltageForum.net Link2 , to have a updated modern forum software to keep sharing our projects, discussion etc. on.

I have kept myself from trying to hijack 4hv users, because I never wanted to do that against Chris, the admin of 4hv, and this is also why I first mention this 2 years after our launch.
DerAlbi
Thu Jun 13 2019, 08:54AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Thank you for your efforts. It is hard to argue that you would take Chris something away - there seems to be no effort towards holding the community here.
There seems to be enough feedback that there is something drastically wrong with the forum, yet it seems like a one way communication - even if some of that is read, it would be nice to hear actual feedback or a plan for the future.

Maybe we are just standing around a dead body poking it with sticks to see if it still lives.
hen918
Thu Jun 13 2019, 11:52PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The thing is, there is a website, it's hosted, it has a domain, and it runs (kind of), it just needs that little extra, like an old CNC that has 0.2mm of backlash, but you have all the programs you need on the 1.44MB floppy in the still functioning drive in the control box. Someone needs to come along and fit some new ballscrews. A couple of days work, 9-5.

The host, domain, and the database all seem OK, it's a shame to abandon a good forum because of some stupid front end bugs.
Patrick
Wed Jun 19 2019, 07:10PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
lets not kick around the admins too much. hopefully we can get a professional temp programmer paid 9-5 to straighten the forum out with a go-fund-me ? unless its data specific stuff....

I am getting ready to drop a major project i think we will all benefit from, i think ill do it via PDF to compensate for the crippled forum.
Patrick
Thu Jun 20 2019, 05:39PM
Am I correct in presuming "php" is the code and tongue of the devil ?
Thu Jun 20 2019, 06:40PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I largely 'outgrew' high voltage, and by extension 4hv, when I moved to grad school and have all but stopped posting on 4hv as a result. I had been lurking once in a while, but the impossible captcha and frequent logouts made lurking less convenient. Now that the captcha is less bad I have started lurking a bit more but still don't post much since I have stopped working on hv projects.

It would be a shame to see the forum die because of bit rot causing the software itself to stop functioning, but I suppose that is how online forums work. Maybe it is time to move this forum to not-as-old.4hv.org with its previous 2 predecessors and start anew? In my opinion the most important part of the migration process is that the old posts remain archived somehow (looking at you, non-functioning old.4hv.org and older.4hv.org) since there is such a wealth of interesting information on them. For example I have a few coils where the only documentation I have for them was hosted on the old forums. After the forum backups went down I was able to get them off of the wayback machine for my own records, but they are basically gone to the ages at this point.
Patrick
Thu Jun 20 2019, 11:54PM
no matter what we must preserve 4hv.org in at least an archived state. Its just to precious to lose !
MRMILSTAR
Fri Jun 21 2019, 01:08PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
I have started using "highvoltageforum.net" as an adjunct forum to "4hv.org". I post to both as needed but if I need to post pictures or video then "highvoltagefprum.net" is currently the only viable alternative.
Ash Small
Mon Jun 24 2019, 05:15AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
This forum means a lot to me.... I've met some interesting people, both online and 'in the real world'.... I'd certainly contribute to a Go Fund Me to get it fully operational, or at least archived with photo's.... It's not just the HV stuff, it's the attitude to general electronics and everything else as well.....
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: