Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Function and form....

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Oct 24 2018, 11:18PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Just soldered this up.... More to come in a 'Poject' thread soon, but my layouts appear to be improving almost to the form of art.... couple of 'errors', maybe, but getting there.....

I bet no-one can guess what it's designed to drive?..... not tested it yet, it might require a bit of tuning.....

1540423113 3414 FT0 Dscf1958
Ash Small
Sun Oct 28 2018, 11:55PM
I managed to fry the first version because I'd believed the textbooks and was trying to measure voltage instead of current..... Ohm's law isn't easy to apply to the output of this circuit...... The Mk 2 version is complete overkill, and I exceeded the output requirements as soon as I started tweaking.... Adding extra parallel resistors to the source..... I need to do a bit more tweaking to learn the true nature of this creature, but it has so far exceeded all expectations, and I feel I've barely begun yet..... More to follow.....
1540770949 3414 FT183122 Dscf1976
Ash Small
Sat Nov 03 2018, 02:34AM
Latest incarnation, the Mk 3.... It's getting there.... Explanation to follow shortly.....

1541212473 3414 FT183122 Dscf1982

EDIT: I needed to add a parallel resistor to the source..... wink
Ash Small
Wed Nov 07 2018, 07:15PM
So this is the current circuit.....

1541618130 3414 FT183122 Driver Circuit

There are still a few mods I want to try..... I think I can improve efficiency, but it performs splendidly 'as is'..... wink
Shrad
Mon Nov 12 2018, 10:55AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I bet those would make some nice voltage followers which sound as good as one could expect... what is the range of gate capacitance?
Sulaiman
Mon Nov 12 2018, 11:28AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Is it a bi-phasic jfet terminator ?

I do not know the application but it is clearly not for a true sinewave output,
and the component values seem 'odd' for 1 kHz operation,
what is it for ?

It looks to me that you have wired j105's in parallel,
If your fets get inexplicably hot it may be due to parasitic oscillations,
probably at such high frequency that all your 'scope will 'show' is a thick fuzzy trace instead of a nice thin line,
if so then ferrite beads on jfet leads will help.

Generally, using UHF transistors in low frequency circuits can cause parasitic oscillations
- if the designer is not familiar with r.f. design.
The common symptoms are
. unexpectedly high current draw or component heating
. at certain levels in waveforms the 'scope trace looks 'fuzzy'
. 'scoping at different points gives inconsistent waveforms due to the 'scope lead aiding or loading a self-oscillating circuit.

No obvious sign of parasitic oscillation in the 'photo above but something worth keeping an eye open for.
Shrad
Tue Nov 13 2018, 07:23AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I failed at looking some pictures and did not see jfet part number, so assumed it was one of those power JFET

maybe you want to try cascode operation? there is a nice example at Link2
Plasma
Tue Nov 13 2018, 09:23AM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
If you want ac voltage emitter ,a capacitor in series on the top right leg,to remove the DC bias
Ash Small
Wed Nov 14 2018, 12:02AM
Shrad wrote ...

I bet those would make some nice voltage followers which sound as good as one could expect... what is the range of gate capacitance?

35-160pF

Interesting article you've linked to. While these are only rated for 25Vdg, I'm running them from a 38V supply, as at least 15V is across the drain resistor, so the device 'sees' less than 25V.

(EDIT: I've just realised what you mean by voltage follower.... Yes, it seems to be an 'ideal' voltage follower wink )

Sulaiman wrote ...

Is it a bi-phasic jfet terminator ?

I do not know the application but it is clearly not for a true sinewave output,
and the component values seem 'odd' for 1 kHz operation,
what is it for ?

It looks to me that you have wired j105's in parallel,
If your fets get inexplicably hot it may be due to parasitic oscillations,
probably at such high frequency that all your 'scope will 'show' is a thick fuzzy trace instead of a nice thin line,
if so then ferrite beads on jfet leads will help.

Generally, using UHF transistors in low frequency circuits can cause parasitic oscillations
- if the designer is not familiar with r.f. design.
The common symptoms are
. unexpectedly high current draw or component heating
. at certain levels in waveforms the 'scope trace looks 'fuzzy'
. 'scoping at different points gives inconsistent waveforms due to the 'scope lead aiding or loading a self-oscillating circuit.

No obvious sign of parasitic oscillation in the 'photo above but something worth keeping an eye open for.

It'gives a perfect sinewave output, Suliaman.

They seem to work in parallel exactly the same as individually. No 'fuzzy' trace, just perfect sine wave.

It's actually for driving a spring reverb tank with input impedence of 8 Ohms. As you're aware this is the impedence at 1kHz, at ten kHz impedence is 80 Ohms. It requires at least 28mA, with the series resistor of 246 Ohm, at 10kHz, total impedence is 326 Ohms, and it is driving 36mA @ 1kHz and 30mA @ 10kHz, with a perfect sine wave.

These are nothing like the JFET's from 50 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then.... wink

(EDIT: regarding your point re. parasitic oscillations when using fast switches..... Would that be when using solid state voltage controllers?..... I wanted to avoid them because I could foresee that kind of problem, I'm only using copper and iron for voltage regulation with this circuit. 'Old Skool' technology.....

Plasma wrote ...

If you want ac voltage emitter ,a capacitor in series on the top right leg,to remove the DC bias

the capacitor on the bottom leg blocks any DC. The resistor on the top leg is to reduce the difference in current at 1kHz and 10kHz by giving a total impedence at 1kHz of 254 Ohms and a total at 10kFz of 326 Ohms.

connecting the output in this way isolates the output. It also provides a very low impedence output.

This is the latest incarnation, I'm driving it with a more conventional JFET topology stage which gives a gain of 25 because this circuit needs to be driven with a signal of 8V P-P. I still need to add some filtering to the gain stage, though.
1542153730 3414 FT183122 Dscf2002
Plasma
Wed Nov 14 2018, 12:59AM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
I see, would the voltage and current be in phase, voltage leg would get less affected by a capacitor, thand the lower leg current leg,
Does this sound right?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: