All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Battery tab spot welder advice

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Sat Sept 08 2018, 08:15PM Print
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Hi all,

So recently I built a battery tab spot welder to weld together a large battery pack (NiMh 'D' cells) for another project. I've been trying to get a decent weld all day, but haven't managed it yet so I'm hoping I can pick someone's brain for tips on what I might be doing wrong - I thought maybe someone here might have built one themselves, or knows a bit more about welding than I do.

First, a bit about the welder I've built - it's basically a large IGBT driven by a PIC microcontroller, and a bank of 4x 7.5Ah 12V SLA batteries in parallel to provide welding current. I have two brass electrodes on 10mm^2 pieces of cable, the power-electronic side is quite robust and I have no concerns there.

The pulse timing is 50mS ON (to clean/soften the material without welding it), followed by 350mS OFF, followed by an adjustable pulse width (up to 512mS on a pot) to perform the actual weld. This is the results of my researches into similar welders including commercially available ones. This part is all working fine, and I'm currently operating at maximum pulse length of 512mS.

Now onto the problem - I've spent a good few hours today experimenting with different energy storage methods, originally I had a bank of 3x 97,000uF capacitors charged to between 12 and 25VDC but all I got was either nothing at all (when applying lots of force to the electrodes) or a shower of sparks and vaporised strip/terminals (when applying less force, and creating an imperfect contact). I quickly abandoned capacitors at that stage, and started using SLA batteries instead - with the current being limited by the ESR of the battery. This seemed a lot more promising, but despite lots of current (glowing contact area and warm cables all round after only a couple of pulses) I'm just not getting any weld at all! I haven't tried to measure the pulse current yet, but it seems unlikely to me that I still don't have enough current but I might be wrong. I've put a video at the end of this post showing my latest attempt - showing the heating of the strip with moderate force applied to the electrodes.

Theories are:
- Thermal mass of electrodes is soaking away the heat from the weld area
- Tip shape is wrong
- Pulse is too long/current too low (but energy ok) so heat is soaking away before it can create a hot enough localised area
- ..?

1536437447 103 FT0 Dscn0039

Setup showing the 4x 7.5Ah batts in parallel. Cables are 10mm^2 (or equivalent) all round

1536437447 103 FT0 Dscn0041

Battery voltage during attempted weld, fully charged at start (~13V) dropping to 7.5V under load

1536437447 103 FT0 Dscn0038

Latest attempt (calling it a night now!) with above setup and maximum pulse width:

Thanks for reading, etc.

Blackcurrant
Sat Sept 08 2018, 09:30PM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
Battery can't supply current? I have some 7Ah lead acid batteries and the initial current may be limited to 2Amp that's what it says on the side of them.
And as you see a dip in voltage that must be the case. Maybe you could take a resistance measurement before hand to see how well the electrodes are doing.
Maybe clean the metal before welding? Seem to remember seeing battery tabs with 4 small spot welds holding them on.
spring loaded electrodes then slowly increasing the power, I think this is going to take a fare amount of goes to get right.
You may also be able to solder to them using arax flux solder, you just need to clean it well after.
Patrick
Sat Sept 08 2018, 11:09PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
... either nothing at all (when applying lots of force to the electrodes) or a shower of sparks and vaporized strip/terminals ...
I think this may be a good thing. it means "control-ability" is what you need next, your system has whats needed to work, and your revised system just seems inadequate i believe, for the reasons you correctly state.

- Pulse is too long/current too low (but energy ok) so heat is soaking away before it can create a hot enough localised area
Yes i think so.

Perhaps the electrodes should produce mechanical force enough for good heat, and another pin or rod the mechanical fusing force? So three rods total. Maybe like a rod of tungsten carbide pressing down. You can round off tungsten carbide with a diamond dremel wheel. Ive done it.

Dont kill yourself, i presume here on 4HV we all know how dangerous batteries can be.
the_anomaly
Sun Sept 09 2018, 01:59AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Maybe try a sharper point to get more local resistance heating as in this video

johnf
Sun Sept 09 2018, 02:44AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Brass is not conductive enough. Use copper and up the diameter and then sharpen to about 1/8" dia for both electrodes.
Careful as the copper will allow about 5 times more current to flow than your present arrangement
hen918
Mon Sept 10 2018, 11:33AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The current is too low. I calculate about 600 A to begin with given the paralleled SLAs have about 20 mohms internal resistance each, giving 10 mohms between them when paralleled, and as the voltage drops by about half, there must be another 10 mohms in the contact. If the contact area is too big 600 A sounds like too little current. Also if the pulse time is too long, the nickel will expand as it heats and break any bond formed.
Avalanche
Thu Sept 13 2018, 07:46PM
Thanks all.

I've taken everyone's tips into account (even my own!) and changed a few things:

- All 10mm wiring replaced with 35mm^2
- Ditched the brass electrodes and made some new ones out of copper bus bar, sharpened to a decent point
- Used my van battery instead of the 4 small SLAs.

The result - I'm getting welds now, although I still think there's room for improvement. Looking for second opinions too on the result - third pic below. The rise time of the heat is a lot more noticeable - the material is glowing red just on the pre-weld pulse alone (50mS) and can form an actual weld in just 50mS (not supposed to happen with the pre-weld pulse). Interestingly, the electrode pressure seems to matter a lot as well - too much pressure and I don't get a weld at all.

The current is too low. I calculate about 600 A to begin with given the paralleled SLAs have about 20 mohms internal resistance each, giving 10 mohms between them when paralleled, and as the voltage drops by about half, there must be another 10 mohms in the contact. If the contact area is too big 600 A sounds like too little current. Also if the pulse time is too long, the nickel will expand as it heats and break any bond formed.

This is interesting, and I think your estimate was a lot more accurate than mine. I'd originally aimed for 1000A, and I'd calculated from the ESR of my batteries and the various wiring resistances that I should get about 900A. That was based on about 7.5mR of wiring, an IGBT drop of about 0.7V in saturation. I think I was over optimistic on... everything? and your estimate seems a lot more realistic.

I've also demonstrated the effect of a too-long pulse time, 50mS was enough to form a weak weld but with 300mS I didn't get a weld at all and it just fell apart. 150mS seems like the sweet spot with the current setup, but I still don't think the current is high enough (the heat is 'leaking' away and you can see evidence of this on the nickel strip).

The setup now. I had to put a chunk of wood under the IGBT to space it away from the box containing the microcontroller - the intense magnetic field of the pulse was resetting the microcontroller! This is definitely not built to any kind of EMC standards.

1536867741 103 FT182945 P 20180913 184028

New electrodes

1536867741 103 FT182945 P 20180913 184046

First weld - still think the pulse needs to be higher current and shorter.

1536867741 103 FT182945 P 20180913 184057
Conundrum
Fri Sept 14 2018, 04:28AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Useful tip. Have you tried using pyrolytic graphite or a mu-metal casing (stolen from old audio amplifier transformer) as a magnetic shield?
Avalanche
Fri Sept 14 2018, 11:50AM
Conundrum wrote ...

Useful tip. Have you tried using pyrolytic graphite or a mu-metal casing (stolen from old audio amplifier transformer) as a magnetic shield?

I haven't tried any kind of shielding at the moment, but pyrolytic graphite sounds like interesting stuff.

I'm probably going to revise the layout to keep the magnetic field away from the micro, that plus some kind of fault tolerance around the software.
Because the micro is controlling the IGBT, and it can lock up as I've already demonstrated, I need to add some kind of hardware 'catch' to switch off the gate if the micro has stopped. I'm thinking either some kind of hardware monostable with a set time slightly longer than the micro (although then it seems a shame to have the micro at all!) or another solution is to have the micro outputting a square wave (generated in software) on one of the pins that I filter to 2.5VDC then have a window comparator to always look for this 2.5V and switch off the IGBT if it isn't there (if the software locks up, the voltage will go either to 5V or 0V when the square wave stops). That was a big dump of my current thinking! The PICs do seem to be susceptible to locking up though, it's happened to me before but rarely seems to happen with other microcontrollers.
hen918
Fri Sept 14 2018, 12:11PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
If you are going to go to that length, three monostable 555 timers and a bit of logic could replace the microcontroller with greater reliability.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: