All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question about function generator

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Wed Aug 22 2018, 10:01AM Print
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
All,
I own a Wavetek Model 191 20 MHz Function Generator, and it has served me well for many years, but now the switches and contacts have become so dirty to a point where I have to wiggle them at any new position to get the output that I want. I have to monitor the output with the scope to be sure I get what I dialled in, not good!

Therefore, I am searching for a new one, the Rigol DG1022Z being my favourite at the moment.

But I have one point of hesitation, being:

Since I will be searching for LC ressonance in not particularly well described combinations of L and C, I want to be able to sweep the frequency within at least a decade, with the twist of a knob, and I wonder if this generator will allow me to do that.

I realize it can do a programmed sweep from F(low) to F(high) in T(Time,) but I want that analogue feeling of finding the ressonance by turning the knob with my fingers.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
MRMILSTAR
Wed Aug 22 2018, 03:59PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
I can't comment on the Rigol but I bought a Siglent SDG2042X about 6 months ago that I am very satisfied with. It sweeps very nicely with the twist of a knob and has a 40 MHz BW. It is supposedly hackable through a software update to 80 MHz BW but I haven't tried that.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Aug 23 2018, 12:43AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Why not just hunt down another Wavetek 191?

I have the Wavetek 98 and I love it. I liked it so much I made sure my buddy that does audio work got one too!

They're still out there, you just have to find one in decent shape.
Finn Hammer
Thu Aug 23 2018, 06:41AM
MRMILSTAR wrote ...

I can't comment on the Rigol but I bought a Siglent SDG2042X about 6 months ago that I am very satisfied with. It sweeps very nicely with the twist of a knob and has a 40 MHz BW. It is supposedly hackable through a software update to 80 MHz BW but I haven't tried that.

MrMilstar,
Thanks for your reply, just to be sure: You confirm that the generator has a setting, where the frequency is sweepale directly by turning the major controll kob?
What about 120mHz? Link2

Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

You say it yourself: Decent shape. With US as the main hunting ground for these things, and the added cost and time to get the item in for evaluation, I have finally given in, and want a brand new instrument, with warranty etc.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Conundrum
Thu Aug 23 2018, 02:21PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
I have a FG here, its not been tested (much) but you're welcome to use it.
Am I right in saying that international shipping is quite low for typical size (eg LCD panel) boxes?
If so then it might just squeak through the height limit if I put the boards side by side and remove top cover.
Also have a few other parts if you have a use and it fits in the box without exceeding the max_weight - a few grams.
Obviously we can come to some arrangement as and when it turns up but it looks like to send it surface = 8 weeks but airmail would be faster and more expen$ive.
Would only look to charge for 60% of the post ONLY as I have had lots of stuff from 4HV folks over the years.

Also relevant, can you PM me about this scope please? I only really need to locate a known good size compatible shield and socket for the tube because its a nightmare to locate without it.
I've tack soldered it for now but this is not ideal and tube runs hot due to lack of proximal cooling.
MRMILSTAR
Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:10PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

MRMILSTAR wrote ...

MrMilstar,
Thanks for your reply, just to be sure: You confirm that the generator has a setting, where the frequency is sweepale directly by turning the major controll kob?
What about 120mHz? Link2

Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

You say it yourself: Decent shape. With US as the main hunting ground for these things, and the added cost and time to get the item in for evaluation, I have finally given in, and want a brand new instrument, with warranty etc.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Finn,

On the Siglent, you can sweep the frequency with the knob in units ranging from microhertz to megahertz. It is very easy to do. This is a key feature that I wanted which I use to do initial tuning on my tesla coils.

I haven't tried any of the hacks with the Siglent to increase its BW. Some day if I come across a need for increased BW then I will investigate the hacks.

Regarding hacks, I also have a Rigol DS1054 oscilloscope which, as purchased, has a BW of 50 MHz. I used one of the on-line hacks to increase its BW from 50 MHz to 100 MHz and to also add some additional functionality. It was very easy to do. The hack essentially upgraded it to the next highest model.

On the subject of used test equipment, I have easy access via E-Bay and other on-line stores to lots of used test equipment. Shipping is reasonable since I live in the USA. I decided to forgo used test equipment for several reasons. The primary reason is that I can't insure that the equipment has all of its functionality or even works. The second reason is that I do not know its state of calibration. If I could try the used test equipment myself before purchase to insure its functionality then I might have decided to buy used equipment. Since I can't, I decided to buy brand new equipment even though it is made in China with their dubious reputation for quality. You can't beat the price and it does have a warranty. I must say that I have been very satisfied with the Siglent signal generator and the Rigol oscilloscope although I had to send the first Rigol scope back for an exchange because of a defective control knob.

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Finn Hammer
Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:20PM
MRMILSTAR wrote ...

Finn,

On the Siglent, you can sweep the frequency with the knob in units ranging from microhertz to megahertz. It is very easy to do. This is a key feature that I wanted which I use to do initial tuning on my tesla coils.

I haven't tried any of the hacks with the Siglent to increase its BW. Some day if I come across a need for increased BW then I will investigate the hacks.

Regarding hacks, I also have a Rigol DS1054 oscilloscope which, as purchased, has a BW of 50 MHz. I used one of the on-line hacks to increase its BW from 50 MHz to 100 MHz and to also add some additional functionality. It was very easy to do. The hack essentially upgraded it to the next highest model.

On the subject of used test equipment, I have easy access via E-Bay and other on-line stores to lots of used test equipment. Shipping is reasonable since I live in the USA. I decided to forgo used test equipment for several reasons. The primary reason is that I can't insure that the equipment has all of its functionality or even works. The second reason is that I do not know its state of calibration. If I could try the used test equipment myself before purchase to insure its functionality then I might have decided to buy used equipment. Since I can't, I decided to buy brand new equipment even though it is made in China with their dubious reputation for quality. You can't beat the price and it does have a warranty. I must say that I gave been very satisfied with the Siglent signal generator and the Rigol oscilloscope although I had to send the first Rigol scope back for an exchange because of a defective control knob.

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Steve,

Thanks for your reply, I feel sure it will be a Siglent, then. We both have the same tasks: tune tesla coils.
I followed the same route with the Rigol DS1054z, and the Riglol hack worked wonderfully.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
jpsmith123
Fri Aug 24 2018, 03:10AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
I have a Rigol DG1022. I don't know if the DG1022Z has the same issue, but the first time I turned it on to test it, I noticed that the control knob seemed "erratic."

For example, when the instrument is first turned on, it defaults to 1.000 kHz (sine) @ 5 Vpp, and the "1" (kHz digit) is selected (highlighted).

Now if the control knob is rotated clockwise, the first "click" takes it from 1 to 2 kHz, the second click takes it from 2 to 3 kHz, but the third click skips over 4 and brings it to 5 kHz.

So to go from 1 kHz to 4 kHz, you have to go from 1 to 5 and then turn the knob counterclockwise one click to get back to 4 kHz. But then if you want to go to 3 kHz, for example, you're forced to go to 2 and then back up to 3. (It behaves this way in every context).

I thought there was something wrong with it so I sent it back, and the seller sent me another one, which did the same thing; so apparently "that's just the way they are."

MRMILSTAR
Fri Aug 24 2018, 03:41AM
Finn,

I investigated the firmware hack for the Siglent when I first acquired it. The hack is more involved than what was required for the Rigol oscilloscope therefore I didn't really pursue the subject any further because I had other things to do. When I run out of other projects or I need more bandwidth, I may investigate it further.

Steve White
jpsmith123
Fri Aug 24 2018, 03:54AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
I bought an SDG1032X but I returned it because I didn't like the fact that I couldn't set the DC offset voltage to "zero" volts. I felt that if the display told me the output DC offset voltage was set to 0.000 VDC, that it should actually be approximately 0.000 VDC. Instead I measured around 80 mv on one channel and perhaps 60 mv on the other.

It wasn't a show-stopper, and other than this issue, it was a nice instrument, but having used HP/Agilent, Fluke, Wavetek, etc., for many years, I was "spoiled" and didn't think it should be that way.

I'm wondering, do you know if your SDG1032X has a similar issue?

MRMILSTAR wrote ...

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: