All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Does anyone wind their own toroid inductors/transformers?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
flyrod
Wed Jun 13 2018, 07:02PM Print
flyrod Registered Member #61905 Joined: Sun Nov 12 2017, 03:27AM
I've seen a few pictures of people winding their own toroids for GDT but is anyone winding their own power inductors? Anyone have tips? I've done a few in single layer to keep the parasitic capacitance low, but I'm looking for ways to improve the results. For buck/boost converters it seems like multiple parallel conductors would help some with skin effect, but should they be braided or twisted?

I'm sure there are limitations of what can be done with the machine wound toroids, but as a hobbyist are there techniques that can improve the results?

Patrick
Thu Jun 14 2018, 03:52AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
I wind special inductive circuits ALL the TIME ! smile and you should too! Its really hard to get power or frequency or saturation that you want, whether it be power or signal. And buying pre-made inductors and transformers is the most expensive way to get them.

The only issue ive found with making your own is the length of each unique strand. Assuming your core was made as one piece or is glued and now inseparable.

Calculate your skin effect there are calculators on google for that. but honestly smaller strands in parallel will cool better, bend better and make better packing efficiency through the window. above 150 kHz i think is where skin effect begins to be a problem in power inductors.

Not sure how far you want to go or how much advice you want but i have more info and examples if you like.

I will give you one piece of advice above all else: buy solder-able magnet wire. If not you'll regret it.

Let me show you some of my arsenal :

1528948326 2431 FT182374 Wave Check 1

1524770693 2431 FT1630 Ferrite
liberated black ferrite, added all thread to each end to mount.

1528948326 2431 FT182374 Wire
some wire

1528948326 2431 FT182374 Ground Through
belt sand them open.

1528948326 2431 FT182374 Chop
450 watt ATX PSU core

1528948583 2431 FT1630 Wound
winding jigs

1528948583 2431 FT1630 Planar Coil
3d printed bobbin wet wound with red epoxy.

1528948583 2431 FT1630 Planar1
Purchased planar cores.
flyrod
Thu Jun 14 2018, 01:44PM
Thanks for the great reply! Is that first picture the circuit that you use to test your inductors/transformers?

This is a picture of a factory wound toroid and a hand wound version that I made:

Toroids

It uses 3 parallel strands, which are easier to bend, as you mentioned. I used a drop of super glue to secure the ends against the core. The 3-strand windings also have the advantage of being able to "bunch up" on the inside diameter and spread out on the outside diameter. I don't know how well the 3 strands share the electrical load, but the hand wound replacement runs cooler than the original part.

Patrick wrote ...
The only issue ive found with making your own is the length of each unique strand. Assuming your core was made as one piece or is glued and now inseparable.

Happily, the length I calculated was pretty close to what was needed. I left the strands a bit long to be safe, but I didn't end up wasting much wire. The inner 3rd strand is only a couple inches longer than the two beneath it.

ritaismyconscience
Thu Jun 14 2018, 06:28PM
ritaismyconscience Registered Member #62937 Joined: Wed Jun 06 2018, 08:20PM
I take ferrite transformers from old power supplies and heat them up with a soldering iron to melt the glue.
johnf
Thu Jun 14 2018, 07:14PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
I remove used ferrite transformers from the pcb and submerge the pin out pins in a brine solution in a soup bowl and microwave the transformer for about a minute. Careful as the core absorbs the microwave radiation like a sponge and gets extremely hot you can then pull the core halves out as the heat softens the potting varnish
Patrick
Fri Jun 15 2018, 12:14AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
your already off to good winding skills. Next study powdered metal, ferrite, iron tape/lamination and geometry.

johnf wrote ...

I remove used ferrite transformers from the pcb and submerge the pin out pins in a brine solution in a soup bowl and microwave the transformer for about a minute. Careful as the core absorbs the microwave radiation like a sponge and gets extremely hot you can then pull the core halves out as the heat softens the potting varnish
wow, never heard this ! looks like i learned from this thread too !

flyrod wrote ...

Is that first picture the circuit that you use to test your inductors/transformers?
No thats a full featured custom SMPS, meant to put out 500 or more watts from a wall socket. its just for signal testing the ICs at the moment it does use that 250 watt atx core.

its the first module of a future power factor corrected 240 VAC 2kW smps which will be isolated and put out 20-30kV in a single step. hopefully with a fixed load it can stay near 95% eff. that means 100 watts of heat, still alot.

but thats a lot of ifs' and maybes' its already been 2 years.
Ash Small
Sat Jun 30 2018, 04:07PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I just finished winding the one on bottom right of picture last night.

I'm using 3" type 26 D toroids (the D stands for double thickness)

wire on both is 14 SWG, if I recall correctly, 1.8mm diameter, 2.5mm^2 cross section, good for 9.6 Amps, apparently (10 amp)

the one on lower left is, if I recall correctly, 1.75mH, and has 250 grammes of wire

The one on the right has 500 grammes of wire. This worked out to be exactly four layers.

Winding it was a nightmare, the first layer was very slow going, with lots of bird's nests to untangle. Part way through the second layer it became a bit more manageable. By the third layer the wire had started to work harden, this just bacame worse and worse, but at least the length of wire was more manageable.

I started winding it weeks ago, then had a break while I was doing other things, then finished it off over the past week.

I've another half a dozen or so to wind, but not in a rush to start the next one yet.

It's not as pretty as it might be, my brain had turned to jelly by the time it was finished.

They will be used for conditioning the power supply for a single ended class A amp, along with about forty 4700uF stud mount electrolytics wink

1530374868 3414 FT182374 Dscf1944

EDIT: I've not yet measured the second one, I'm aiming for around four mH but will be happy with whatever I get, I only need around 2-2.5 mH, anything else is a bonus. I'll post details of the test over on my thread regarding powe supply simulators.
flyrod
Wed Jul 11 2018, 05:26PM
So in this picture of a power supply, there are a variety of toroids:

L1600

In some cases the parallel strands are twisted together before being wound on the core. Why would you do this vs. parallel strands not twisted together?
johnf
Wed Jul 11 2018, 07:14PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
It maximises surface area for skin effect and twisting together as they in parallel reduces the interwinding capacitance so raises the self resonant frequency
hen918
Wed Jul 11 2018, 10:14PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
It also reduces the leakage inductance, as each strand has almost exactly the same average distance to the core
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: