All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

question about designing a pulsejet

Move Thread LAN_403
Plasma
Fri Aug 17 2018, 07:27PM Print
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Hi, I've been spending abit of time design a pulsejet, I've spent some time on some jet engine foroum to learn some stuff,but I think this site would be better for some questions

If you have a combustion chamber full with fuel air mixture, if you have multiple spark gaps spaced over the chamber, if fired at the same time to make it all ignite quicker, will it form more pressure than just one spark gap burning slower,is it based on the increase in temperature of the fuel air mixture, or is there some part that is linked to the speed of ignition.

Thanks
Ash Small
Fri Aug 17 2018, 11:23PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I'm not a pulsejet expert and it's a while since I read up on them, but ultimately, it's the rate of expansion that produces the force, this 'may' be increased with multiple ignition points.

Multiple sources should provide more reliable ignition, but this may be an 'imaginary' problem.

While it's not relevant to pulse jets, I've always thought it might prove interesting to utilise a turbo in a jet engine, the turbo supplying pressurised air to the jet wink
the_anomaly
Sat Aug 18 2018, 12:41AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
I've seen this done on a few automotive engines. Looks like airplanes use this tech as well Dual Ignition

The wiki article does not contain a lot of information. The main goal looks like efficiency (complete burn instead of a partial burn) and safety in the case of aircraft. I had a friend in college who had to make an emergency landing because an ignition coil failed on the airplane he was flying. Math prof. said it was the best excuse he has heard for being late.

SAE has a lot of information (usually for purchase) on using multiple spark plugs for combustion ignition German spark-ignited compression-ignition research paralleling Mazda’s SPCCI
Plasma
Sun Aug 19 2018, 03:00AM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
The anomaly, I haven't looked up the links yet, I do know petrol engines are fuel rich at 5% about it detonates,but with pulsejet would that be a good thing to,IF it does increase the pressure more than fuel joules.

Ash thinking the same thing draw up this picture

Near the gas inlet is 50 3mm holes at 90/90mm box section to act as flash back arrestors and extinguish the flame.
1534647637 61406 FT182812 Img 20180819 145154
Patrick
Sun Aug 19 2018, 07:43PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
weve used "chinese valve pulse jets" for RC. there really finnicky, take forever to accelerate and if you turn they loose thrust and you lose airspeed, you then start over, you can also burn your tail off too. we've done that. generally we consider them worthless. but there was an example on the science channel that showed a 200 mph working Rc jet. so it can be done.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: