Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
Next topic »   

Build an IoT DMM, hardware engineer with smattering of software seeks software engineer ...

Move Thread LAN_403
Plasma
Fri Jul 20 2018, 01:02PM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
I'm not 100% sure, if you a form and click submit, it should appear in the urls, saying that both will work the data will be in the packet, but get will be near the top and you can manually enter it in the urls, anything that pass data to another page will work.
I think you will need a auto reload code and if in the index. Html you have hard code editing 123.4 when the dimm gets a value based on the settings the client submitted, you modify the 123.4 as the html page is in a string array, and then send that to the client with the auto reload code will after X time requests the page again.
I was never any good at html and JavaScript, you might want some else to answer that question.
the_anomaly
Fri Jul 20 2018, 04:54PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Get and Post are client requests to a server so I believe do_get() and do_post() are server side functions that fill those requests.

Generally, Get is used to retrieve information from a server and Post is used to send information to the server W3Schools Get/Post. My experience has been with writing trading bots for crypto exchanges and they manage to implement their API by using only Get requests. I am not sure what is the reason for this since one must send data to their server to execute a trade. You make the Get request in such a way the server can parse the request for the data it needs to take the action you want.

I think the best way to approach this project is to view the server as a slave device and the client(s) as both the webpage and the DMM. The DMM will send its data to the server periodically. Then the webpage using Javascript or some other client side language will request updates from the server to get the latest values. I should clarify it's the browser (Chrome/Firefox) that is the client not the webpage; ie. Javascript runs on chrome and makes Get requests to updates the webpage display. Making Get request with Javascript

As you indicated, it does not need to be a web page as a client, it could just be another device sitting on the network. This device will make the get requests to the server.

Without knowing more about Post requests, I think you should have the DMM make Post requests to the server to send over its data.

I could be out in left field on a bunch of this too...
Dr. Slack
Sat Aug 04 2018, 05:10AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I think I've now got a handle on this, so probably no further help needed until I have some much more specific questions. Thanks to anyone who's tried to think down to my level and failed. I was approaching it at too low a level, trying to ride this horse in the direction it wasn't going.

After a month of having the odd poke around at google and youtube, I've realised there are lots of server tutorials around for the ESP82(66) hardware, acrobotic seems particularly thorough and at my level, that could get me going. As I can already drive Arduino, using the arduino core approach on the ESP82 looks like a good fit.

While a web server on the server is not necessarily efficient, a DMM is really slow, and all computers wait at the same speed. Getting python to make web requests to such a server would get me up and running. If I wanted I could then develop that into a human-usable web interface, or socket level server, but probably wouldn't need to do either.
Conundrum
Wed Sept 26 2018, 05:48AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi, have you considered using yellow OLED panels for the display?
The ones here are basically the same but share a common controller and electrical interface.
Dr. Slack
Wed Sept 26 2018, 09:08AM
You know conundrum, I could have sworn that my question was about getting help with the software, rather than suggestions for what sort of display to use.

I've now bought a NodeMCU 8266, and established that the ArduinoCore tools do work to flash its LEDs. However, the funny thing is, I haven't been motivated to program it as a server and talk to it, preferring other jobs around the house and garden, and other programming projects. Perhaps that's part of wanting somebody to collaborate on software, to give me some motivation to do it.
Dr. Slack
Tue Oct 09 2018, 06:26AM
Actual progress! I think I ran out of other jobs to do, and perhaps the embarrassment of seeing this NodeMCU plugged into a breadboard, leering at me every morning from across the desk, propelled me into doing something.

I've elected to start playing with UDP rather than TCP, as it suits my dinosaur-like assembler brain better. I've now got a PC talking to itself, and to another on the network in python, and handling it when they're started up in the wrong order or stop responding for some reason. UDP is more than enough for 'take a reading' - 'here's the reading' exchanges. Tomorrow, the 8266!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: