All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thermoelectric generators

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sat Jul 07 2018, 01:15PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
This is my TEC test rig (not in use) using CPU heatsink/fan for outsides
and 40mm water block inside for hot/cold or heated/cooled water
1530969134 162 FT182521 Techeatsinksfans

A car radiator is more efficient than a domestic radiator,
but it uses a lot of power for the fan.
A domestic radiator is much larger for a given power and temperature,
but no fan is required.
The power output of your system is (ideally) proportional to temperature difference,
so the cold side needs to be as cold as practicable.
Your TEG should at least be able to power its own fans and pumps :)

Based on my very limited experience, I guess that an average size (used/free) domestic radiator would be a good start for your 1 kW system,
and could be improved by a couple of low power fans.

Overall, I'd start with whichever was easiest to obtain as there is always something not considered that often requires a re-build tongue
(or two, or .... I'll finish it after I retire cheesey
I'm sure that you will discover all of the above and more once you actually start experimenting with your test setup.
hen918
Sun Jul 08 2018, 07:56PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The issue with using TEG is their low efficiency; over 10% is pretty much impossible without using fancy materials and manufacturing techniques.
Plasma
Sun Jul 08 2018, 11:03PM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Yeah the efficiency is low but they still have good points, no moving parts, operating at low temperature, and modular, can slowly keep increasing the output.
still wondering how the parrellel set up is going to work with, but instead of one meter, will have 450mm and ten, sealed in a insultor.
Plasma
Fri Jul 20 2018, 09:21PM
I've drawn a picture of what I type of want to do. I'm hoping the water will self limit the temperature to 100degrees, will that happen? Thinking of using passive cooling from CPU heatsink, without the fan will it work if the temperature is 100 degrees about what temperature do you think the cold side be.
Thanks
1532121695 61406 FT182521 Fun
2Spoons
Sat Jul 21 2018, 03:26AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
CPU heatsinks will work badly without forced air flow - the fins are too close for effective natural convection. You need a fin spacing of at least 10mm for good natural convection flow.

Using water as a heat transfer medium will definitely limit the hot side to 100C.

You say one benefit is "no moving parts" - isn't the pump a moving part?

I'm guessing your overall efficiency from wood to electricity is going to be under 1%.

The other thing you really should use with each module is a MPPT controller - that will extract maximum power from each TEG and convert to whatever your desired output voltage is. That will also allow you to parallel as many modules as you want - the MPPT controllers will do the load matching for you.
Plasma
Sat Jul 21 2018, 01:36PM
Thanks 2spoons
sorry for the confusion but in the picture it's a single ended box section, was going to relie on convection. Would still like to use air cooling as would need to cool water like that anyway.
1%is a bit crap 50watts a kg of wood isn't that great.
I've ordered another 10,so have 20 at the moment, but slowly build them up.
at 20 degrees they have 4ohms internal resistance, makes 0.5volt 0.125amp.

Can you connect two or more mppt in parallel with out effecting the controllers?
2Spoons
Sat Jul 21 2018, 07:58PM
Some of the MPPT controller chips are designed with load sharing in mind. ST used to have ones that could operate either parallel or series. Cant find it now, but have a look around.

1% is a guess - but getting electricity from low-grade heat sources has always been difficult. Look at coal fire power generation - they go to a lot of effort to burn the coal completely (its powdered and blown into the furnace) and they use multi-stage steam turbines operating at over 500C. And they manage to get ~35% efficiency.

TEGs are better for situations where you have a lot of low grade heat available - eg geothermal steam or waste heat from some industrial process. Or if you want to power a space probe for decades from a chunk of plutonium.

Burning wood just isn't an efficient process - quite a bit of heat simply disappears up the chimney. And getting complete combustion is also not the easiest thing.
Conundrum
Mon Jul 23 2018, 05:12AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Thanks, very useful.
Wonder if I can recycle waste heat from my SDR to reduce its poiwer consumption for mobile use?
Have some micro peltiers on order (0.7V 3W)
Plasma
Fri Jul 27 2018, 02:31AM
I've found these heatsink and fan, was thinking about putting ten in series, would the fan do much with these heatsink

Link2

Link2
2Spoons
Sat Jul 28 2018, 08:45PM
No idea. There's no datasheet I can find for that heatsink that states its thermal resistance under forced airflow.

I think you need to sit down with a calculator and design this thing properly.

• Determine your heat source temperature (100C wasn't it?) and your cold sink temperature (ambient air? 20C?)

• Determine what the heat flow through 1 TEG will be, what power you want out of it, and from that the delta T across it.

• Now you know the heat flow and the TEG cold side temp you can work out what the thermal resistance of the heatsink needs to be.

• Decide what kind of heatsink system you need, based on those numbers

• Now you can go shopping for parts

All this should have been done before you spent any money on hardware, including TEGs.
Engineering is 10% inspiration , 90% maths.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: