All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

FET not turning fully on with AC on drain

Move Thread LAN_403
2Spoons
Tue Jul 03 2018, 09:24PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
In these situations its also worth checking that all the signal you are seeing is 'real'. Connect the probe ground clip to the tip to form a loop and see how much signal is being radiated directly into the probe.
flyrod
Thu Jul 05 2018, 05:53PM
flyrod Registered Member #61905 Joined: Sun Nov 12 2017, 03:27AM
the_anomaly wrote ...
I took out both gate resistors and put a ferrite bead in their place.

Thanks for that link to the AN. Do you have your scope hooked up like they suggest in that AN?

Also, with the bead: How do you have it hooked up? I've noticed a difference in a bead with a single straight wire through it, and the same bead with a loop. i.e. take a short length of magnet wire, pass it through the bead, then loop it over and pass it through again. This will increase the inductance and will tend to block somewhat lower frequencies. Some beads have 2 holes and you can pass the wire once through each hole (in a U shape) and this can fit in places with less clearance in some cases.
the_anomaly
Mon Jul 09 2018, 08:33PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
In these situations its also worth checking that all the signal you are seeing is 'real'. Connect the probe ground clip to the tip to form a loop and see how much signal is being radiated directly into the probe.

Thanks for that link to the AN. Do you have your scope hooked up like they suggest in that AN?

I do not but my gut feeling was I had a lot of work to do before the probe would be the dominant factor. Also physically it would be very difficult for me to do so with my current PCB design. Still, I've kept the probe and ground clip routed as efficiently as possible and if I could not get better signals after trying these suggestions that was my next step.

Here is my concluding waveform:

Finalwave

I am much happier with this. After a bunch of trials, the final values I chose are a 33ohm resistor in series with a ferrite bead PN: BK2125LM252 (which seemed to be the most lossy one offered by Taiyo Yuden). You will notice a bit of a discontinuity in the gate wave form (blue); there is a small spike / plateau at about the middle on both the rising and falling edges. I can completely eliminate this by using a smaller resistance such as 18ohms but then the over/undershoot increases a few volts. Truthfully I would like to try a 27ohm resistor but I don't have one on hand.

Using a ferrite bead alone produced the fastest turn on/off speed but also had the greatest amount of ringing. I tried several ferrite beads out and the most lossy one performed the best. I think there are more bead options that could work even better but for the moment I limited myself to just surface mount components. Interestingly, using two ferrite beads in series only offered marginal improvements to using just one.

My conclusion is a ferrite bead can help reduce ringing and allow one to use a lower gate resistance for faster turn on / turn off when hard switching.

hen918
Tue Jul 10 2018, 12:16AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The small plateau seen midway on your gate waveform is called the miller plateau and the length of it represents the time the MOSFET actually spends switching (it's caused by the voltage on the drain rising / falling, effecting the voltage difference on the parasitic capacitance that the gate driver has to charge and discharge). You would like that miller plateau as small as possible without too much ringing. A spike of a few volts isn't too bad as long as it dies off.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: