All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

FET not turning fully on with AC on drain

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
the_anomaly
Wed Jun 27 2018, 06:08PM Print
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Hello all,

I built a simple circuit to drive a nichrome wire heating element. Unfortunately, the FET is overheating withing a few minutes of power being applied. When I scope the drain, I find it several volts above ground with an AC waveform on it. The gate signal looks good to me. I control the FET with PWM but for the moment I am driving it with 100% on time. Power is supplied from a variac into a 1000VA isolation transformer to the circuit. Currently running around 20-30VAC. I have used colors in coordination to the scope screen shot to show where I am probing; blue is the gate, green is the drain, purple is the high side.

Schematic:

Scope2

Scope waveforms:

DSC 0002

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I added a snubber to the FET between the drain and source terminals, 2nF cap in series with 20ohm resistor. This is not shown on the schematic.

Blackcurrant
Wed Jun 27 2018, 09:26PM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
D1 ?
or a short load

also
Link2
Link2
the_anomaly
Thu Jun 28 2018, 12:47PM
I think I figured it out. Heating coils resistance 7.1 ohms, FET is 1-2ohms as it heats up which accounts for the voltage I am seeing across it.
Sulaiman
Thu Jun 28 2018, 12:50PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Is it necessary to use d.c. for the heater/control ?
It would be much easier and much more efficient to use mains plus a triac
(often fired by an opto-triac)
if you need rapid control.

If burst fire operation (on/off/on over several seconds to minutes) is acceptable
(it usually is due to thermal inertia)
then just an ssr should suffice Link2
the_anomaly
Tue Jul 03 2018, 02:26PM
I think I solved the overheating problem. I switched to R6030KNZ1C9 for the power FET which has about a 1/10th the RDS on as the STW12NK80Z I was using.

Is it necessary to use d.c. for the heater/control ?
It would be much easier and much more efficient to use mains plus a triac
(often fired by an opto-triac)
if you need rapid control.

It's not necessary but I chose DC as this is what I am most familiar with. My full system is computer software that runs a PID loop to control the temperature with a microprocessor running the circuit. The computer asks the micro for current temperature, runs the PID loop, then adjusts the microprocessors PWM output. With basic tuning I get good accuracy and response time with almost no over/undershoot of desired temperature.

I have a new problem, ringing. I've been trying to use snubbers with limited success. Here is what the ringing looks like with a typical snubber:

DSC 0008

The green trace is the FET drain, the blue is the FET gate.

So far I have tried RC snubbers composed of 1200pF, 680pF, and 330pF in all combinations with 47ohm, 20ohm, and 4.7ohm resistors. They all vary in performance but not by much; the best I get is a few volts off the drain ringing and a small reduction in the gate ringing.

Question, is the ringing on the gate the main source of the problem? I have been focused on reducing the ringing on the load, I am wondering if I should be trying to clean up the gate signal instead.

hen918
Tue Jul 03 2018, 02:51PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Yes, the gate signal is the first one that needs to be cleaned up (ringing that huge could destroy the oxide layer in the FET, and will be causing the ringing on the drain), once that looks nice, if you still have problems, then you turn your attention to the drain. I would recommend adding / increasing the gate resistor, this should solve your problem.
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 03 2018, 05:16PM
I too would look at the gate drive,
I think that I'd try R4 as in the original diagram but 100R to 10R.

Choose your pwm frequencies wisely and filter the load wiring against radiating emi.

Unless you must start with a d.c. supply,
I think that you are making your system unnecessarily complex, expensive and difficult.

Consider the humble but excellent REX-C100 ssr controller as a reference design. Link2
the_anomaly
Tue Jul 03 2018, 06:26PM
I would recommend adding / increasing the gate resistor, this should solve your problem.

I have seen a lot of people recommend small resistances like 4.7-10 ohms and I had been under the impression we want a very small resistance so lots of current can flow. Now I see that's not entirely true. I found this application note from Fairchild: Driving and Layout Design for Fast Switching
Super-Junction MOSFETs
. On page 5 they discuss using a ferrite bead in series with the gate resistor. I took out both gate resistors and put a ferrite bead in their place. I did not leave myself enough space under the heatsink to do much soldering otherwise I would have put the bead in series with a gate resistor... The new waveform looks much better although still needs improvement:

DSC 00010

I'll pull the heatsink off and up the gate resistance with and without the ferrite bead and hopefully post the conclusion soon.

Unless you must start with a d.c. supply,
I think that you are making your system unnecessarily complex, expensive and difficult.

True, but there is more to the project than I have talked about. I plan to control pressures, fan speeds, in addition to the temperature ect. so for that purpose I do need computer/micro control. I'm doing everything incrementally so for this small project it is overkill but it is needed in the long run.

Plasma
Tue Jul 03 2018, 08:28PM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Hi, your right your underdapene the signal, the were meaning higher resistance, a inductor is charging up a capacitor, so use high resistance, as the capacitor is the domanitor high resistance is best.
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 03 2018, 08:44PM
I suspect that along the way you will discover that for each power source / load there is an 'optimal' solution,
and there is no 'universal' drive/controller other than possibly at the signal level,
but for
 a one-off hobby project it does not matter - the weirder the better, it's all learning,
and hopefully fun,
but it is unlikely to be a shareable/collaborative approach.

Lots of my own hobby circuits are 'odd' - because I can. shades
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: