All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Solar Powered Flight.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Mon Jun 04 2018, 05:46AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
im looking to give my friend Daniel Riley some advice on solar powered long duration flight.

His video can be seen here :

And his patreon page : Link2

The question is how to handle the impedance change from battery to solar cell. Theyre needs to be a SMPS to match the two sources right ? He is just connects the solar cells and battery cells in parallel and tries to match the voltage.

Im thinking two buck/boost converters one for each source.

Any other ideas ? Is it that simple ?
I was thinking of two of these : Link2

Ideally you'd only use the battery for short bursts for energy intensive maneuvering like take off and turning , then you'd switch over to running on the solar cells and charging the battery till dark.

so you'd have three sources of energy for flight. Battery, electric solar, thermal updraft (solar too). modulating the three would in principle allow one to fly 24+ hours i suspect.

Carbon_Rod
Mon Jun 04 2018, 09:37AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
When solar cells exceed their rated current the output rolls off to 0v.
Link2

CN3791 is a 4A MPPT LiIon charger (must be tuned for specific cells)
Link2

LT3652 is a 2A Battery Charger for Solar Power (does step-down charging of LiPol)
Link2

There are 30A 24vDC MPPT solar charge managers for LiIon, but not sure abut LiPol.
Also, solar cells must have high current Schottky protection/bypass diodes to prevent abnormal discharging/fires.

IIRC, 3 cell LiPol usually allow the maximum weight+KV efficiency for fixed wing RC craft, and should also make finding charge managers in the 12v class easier. Notably the C rating of larger/better cells allows handling surges in power demand, and with better energy density.

Plasma
Mon Jun 04 2018, 01:57PM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Hi I think a solar panel, battery powered and smps are power sources, you still have to adjust the load to half open circuit voltage of the source, change the load from just the motor to have a second load storage, preferably a couple hours storage, and design the motor to draw half ocv at 80%light,when it's really sun dividet to the second load.
What the internal resistance of the battery, you might need multiple batteries each one gets combined with the other in stages at higher power source energy
Patrick
Mon Jun 04 2018, 06:15PM
He theoretically has demonstrated full prop power with no battery contribution. So I wonder if an arduino could select solar cells to charge the battery as needed then reconnect them to the stack via transistors.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jun 05 2018, 09:36AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Pure buck or pure boost converters should be slightly more efficient than buck-boost. It would be sensible to plan the voltages so these can be used, say low voltage solar array, high voltage battery, low voltage motor (whose ESC is basically a buck converter anyway). You want to extract every last watt from the panels, so MPPT is a must.

He has two means of energy storage, batteries, and height. When there's an excess of solar insolation, does he have a good feel for which is the more efficient place to store the energy. Knowledge of wind speeds and directions may help. Obviously both mechanisms have a maximum 'capacity'. This is a storage mechanism unavailable to land vehicles, so there might not be too much discussion of it in the literature. What flight rules does the flight have to comply with for height? Obviously if there's a low ceiling for safety mixing with other air traffic, then the height capacity is minimal and the manipulation of height is pretty moot.

Similarly, when there's not enough solar, is it more efficient to lose height gliding with all power off, maintain height with an appropriate amount of battery use, or some other strategy? I don't know, I'm just asking the question.
Patrick
Tue Jun 05 2018, 06:24PM
I have FAA permission in 20 mile diameter several times a year upto 500k+ feet.

Yes we plan to go up, and thermals ar powerful, they interfere with experiments and calculations. We do plan to day time fly to 50 or 70k then wisely trade down to 2k feet by dawn. Then you can repeat. Way cheaper than closed loop hydrogen fuel cell stuff on helios like designs.

We also plan to fly over international waters off California to avoid legal issues. I been told by some aviation experts with 50+ years training air traffic controllers that this is the better idea.
Patrick
Mon Jul 02 2018, 03:48AM
will this circuit do some of the solar/battery "mixing" that we need done ?

Link2 3S-PCB-BMS-Protection-Board-25A-11-1V-li-ion- Lithium-Battery-Protection-PCB

L500

Or is this better ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-solar-LT3652-lithium-battery-charger-with-MPPT-and-protection/332187875920?hash=item4d57f0ba50:g:eGwAAOSwmCVY9w3e
2Spoons
Mon Jul 02 2018, 09:54PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Er - those two boards do completely different things, so its not clear what you are trying to achieve.
klugesmith
Tue Jul 03 2018, 12:12AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
We might learn something from history, specifically the first year (1987) of World Solar Challenge (solar cars crossing Australia).
Link2

One key player on the winning team was a college buddy of mine. Here's what I remember hearing about the electric power architecture. It had to handle hills and winds, and clear or cloudy skies, with batteries that were primitive by modern Li-ion standards.

Many details below are just like Dr Slack advised:

The motor speed control is essentially a SMPS standing between the battery bus and the traction motor.

Battery bus voltage is simply the response of the physical battery to the net power (charge or discharge) at
that moment. Battery current may be limited according to the battery charge/discharge protocol.

Another variable ratio SMPS stands between battery and PV panel. Its ratio automatically changes to keep the PV operating at its maximum power point (which depends on illumination and temperature). Actually, the PV is divided into sections with independent SMPS ratios, because aerodynamics dictates cells facing in different directions.

The only reason for a PV operating point that isn't Max Power, is when the battery is full and it would be unsafe to drive any faster.

Back to 2018: I see no benefit from using a buck/boost converter. The battery, PV cell, and motor configuration can be chosen so each converter is always boost or always buck.
Patrick
Tue Jul 03 2018, 04:48AM
klugesmith wrote ...

Back to 2018: I see no benefit from using a buck/boost converter. The battery, PV cell, and motor configuration can be chosen so each converter is always boost or always buck.
Boost is what im beginning to test. so far it looks tiny and efficient.

2Spoons wrote ...

Er - those two boards do completely different things, so its not clear what you are trying to achieve.
Yes they are different but i dont know which to use.

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: