Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

trouble with volcanic smoke bomb

Move Thread LAN_403
Ruskie
Tue May 08 2018, 01:15PM Print
Ruskie Registered Member #9290 Joined: Sat Jan 05 2013, 03:42PM
I recently made a mostly plaster small volcano with the intention of using either ammonium dichromate or a simple smoke bomb (made up of KNO3, sugar, and baking soda) for the "eruption". At the top of the volcano, I left a 2" hole and I then fitted a crater screen over the hole and coated the screen with this. However, first tests with the smoke bomb did not go very well. The bomb itself performed wonderfully, but I wasn't happy with the small holes it made in the top of the volcano. It seems like the bomb burns hot enough to melt the aluminum foil I had it enclosed within and then still enough heat to start damaging the furnace cement. Is there anything I can line the crater with to stop any further damage from the heating? I also want to be able to do the eruptions with the ammonium dichromate when it arrives. Thanks.
Sulaiman
Tue May 08 2018, 03:55PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
A layer of sand or perlite at the bottom ?

It sounds like you will be using a lot of rather toxic, carcenogenic and expensive ammonium dichromate,
(I believe that all hexavalent chromium compounds are toxic)
more importantly,
you are going to make a HUGE volume of chromium(III)oxide
- do you have a plan to deal with storage or disposal ?
Ruskie
Tue May 08 2018, 04:42PM
wrote ...

A layer of sand or perlite at the bottom ?

I don't think there's enough room for that unless I can somehow remove the chimney cement that has already hardened. It would have to be something I can layer right on top of the cement. I'm not sure this will be a problem with the (NH4)2Cr2O7 because, IIRC, the kit volcano I had as a child burned this right in the plaster made crater. I could be wrong, of course, but it sure wasn't sufficient with the smoke bomb.

wrote ...
It sounds like you will be using a lot of rather toxic, carcenogenic and expensive ammonium dichromate,
(I believe that all hexavalent chromium compounds are toxic)
more importantly,
you are going to make a HUGE volume of chromium(III)oxide
- do you have a plan to deal with storage or disposal ?

No large amounts, 30 g total. Enough for 2-3 small demonstrations. I wouldn't use it at all if I could find a heat resistant base for the other smoke bomb formula.

Sulaiman
Tue May 08 2018, 05:01PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
OK, when I read a 2" hole at the top I imagined that it would get larger inside,
like a hollow volcano shape ;)

As a child I liked nitrate or chlorate with moist sawdust
- loads of thick white smoke with a not too hot reaction.

P.S. adding a whole or a part of one of these may be fun Link2
Ruskie
Wed May 09 2018, 02:25AM
wrote ...

OK, when I read a 2" hole at the top I imagined that it would get larger inside,
like a hollow volcano shape ;)

That's how it was until I added a screen over the hole in a concave shape, then covered it all with the furnace cement.

wrote ...
As a child I liked nitrate or chlorate with moist sawdust
- loads of thick white smoke with a not too hot reaction.

I may give that a try. Any recommendations for the saltpeter/ sawdust mix ratio?

I did have a bit better luck earlier today with another standard smoke bomb placed into the crater. This time, there didn't seem to be any cement flaking or breaking away, so perhaps I needed to let it cure longer. The only difficulty I ended up with was the slag from the burn was sticking to the cement and I had to use a screwdriver to break it away.

wrote ...
P.S. adding a whole or a part of one of these may be fun Link2

I may just give those a try sometime. It would certainly be a lot cheaper than trying to make my own colored ones. That's how I was going to start out (making colored smoke bombs), but I quickly realized that the dyes were going to be difficult to obtain and expensive. I initially found plans online that said to melt crayons of color choice into the mix, but the smoke was still white so I knew that wouldn't work. I'll stick with white as it shows the demo good enough anyhow and maybe pick up a cheap smoke cake or two down the road from your link.
Ruskie
Thu May 10 2018, 03:33AM
Just a quick update. I found a solution for a container capable of allowing the smoke bombs to burn and not melting-- that container happened to be a simple stainless steel scoop. It sort of sticks out above the crater, but I don't really care about that. I'm not sure which stainless alloy of course, but even the minimal alloy seems to have a melting point of 1325 C, more than adequate for the smoke device. Since I have also burned ground up sparklers too, I find it will also take those hotter temperatures without any trouble. Problem solved.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: