All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Preparation of dry hydrogen?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Tue Mar 27 2018, 05:45AM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
A helium-filled mylar balloon purchased last December remained buoyant in air for months.
Now I want to re-fill it with hydrogen, and see how long the balloon can hold that gas.
The amount needed is 10 or 15 liters. On the order of 1/2 mole.

In my high school years, we filled latex balloons with hydrogen by putting aluminum foil in a solution of lye. Usually in a large glass Coke bottle, with a 10 cent deposit, because PET bottles for fizzy beverages hadn't been invented.

Now I'm asking on a forum, before generally searching the Internet, about whether anyone prefers a different reaction. People have been filling balloons with hydrogen since 1783.

I also want to try drying the hydrogen, which starts out hot and humid. Maybe bubble it through ice water before some kind of dessicant column. Suggestions are welcome!
Sulaiman
Tue Mar 27 2018, 11:03AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I would just use what is available;
Hydrogen;
. Aluminium cooking foil + drain cleaner sodium hydroxide
. Lantern Battery zinc or iron wool + brick/concrete cleaner muriatic/hydrochloric acid
. electrolysis of water using carbon rods (painfully slow)

Scrubbing;
. pass gas through a tube loosely packed with dehumidifier calcium chloride or oven-dried cotton wool
. bubble through (drain unblocker) conc. sulphuric acid (hazardous)

I'd try BOC or welding suppliers for bottled gas as other methods will be quite slow.
the_anomaly
Tue Mar 27 2018, 12:10PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
I built a fuel cell in high school and the chemistry teacher suggested zinc + citric acid with a bit of copper sulfate as a catalyst. Worked great for me and was far safer than the HCL + aluminium I had been trying. I don't have any ratios but the reaction speed is adjustable; I had a steady stream of bubbles from a half filled test tube.

Justin
Tue Mar 27 2018, 06:48PM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
Couldn't you just use electrolysis of water as a source of hydrogen?
Sulaiman
Tue Mar 27 2018, 08:25PM
Usually because 2H+ + 2e- = H2
so to produce 0.5 mol H2, 1 mol e- is required = 96485 A.s Link2
96485 A.s = 26.8 amp.hour

Hence my (painfully slow) comment above
Conundrum
Fri Mar 30 2018, 08:31AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
yes, a fuel cell would also work.
Interestingly you can now get these quite cheaply and they have other applications.
Sulaiman
Fri Mar 30 2018, 11:57AM
Conundrum wrote ...

yes, a fuel cell would also work.
Interestingly you can now get these quite cheaply and they have other applications.

but you will still need at least 26.8 A.h cry
(more actually as the gas will be slightly compressed, and electrolysis is rarely 100% efficient)

If you want to collect oxygen and/or hydrogen separately then I advise the use of a membrane in the cell as back-pressure on one port can force electrolyte out of the other.

I have not tried, but if you do go the electrolysis way, you could consider a HHO generator,
(all of the hydrogen and oxygen collected together)
lighter than air and MUCH more violent explosion if ignited.
CAUTION: in theory, u.v. light (sunlight) can initiate the reaction, so take care.
2Spoons
Sat Mar 31 2018, 09:22PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
I wouldn't call electrolysis 'painfully' slow. I built a 4 cell electrolyser using stainless steel plates, with gas separation, and with 20A running through it the hydrogen flow was enough to sustain a flame on the end of a 20mm tube. Took 3-4 minutes to fill a plastic shopping bag (about 15l I guess) with mixed H2/O2. The bang when we ignited that was ... impressive.

Personally I'd use the Al + NaOH method to fill a balloon. There are plenty of drying agents you can use - silica gel, NaOH prills, CaO, hell probably even a bucket of dry rice would work well enough for this experiment.
klugesmith
Mon Apr 09 2018, 09:08AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Thanks, 2Spoons. On the Internet we can find work by other amateurs who got serious about electrolytic H2. I like this one -- the anode and cathode plates are separated by wet felt to keep the gases from mixing. H2 is collected in a bellows at atmospheric pressure. When that's full, a refrigeration compressor pumps the H2 into a storage tank. Link2

Industrial hydrogen is almost all made from methane and other hydrocarbons. Mostly for non-fuel applications, since it's harder to store & contains less energy than its fossil fuel precursors.

Today I made about 7 liters of hydrogen, in a practice run, from zinc and acid.
1523262917 2099 FT181858 Dscn0259
Without much daylight time left, I deferred the chemical calculations. Broke 88 g of die-cast scrap into chunks that would fit into a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle. Made a hole in the cap for tight fit of a Tygon hose. Added 8 fl. oz. (240 ml) of diluted hydrochloric acid previously used for pickling steel. After displacing all the water from a quart-size canning jar, I started filling a much larger jar. Picture above was taken after about 8 minutes, as the bubbling slowed down.

I ended the experiment at 24 minutes, after the bubbling had almost stopped. I guess from depletion of the acid.
1523264223 2099 FT181858 Dscn0261

1523264223 2099 FT181858 Dscn0262

1523264223 2099 FT181858 Dscn0263
Later, weighed the unconsumed zinc.
1523264619 2099 FT181858 Dscn0265

Next run might be balloon-filling time. Need to contrive a dessicant column. Also figure in advance the amount of metal and acid, and beware of frothing or overheating since the acid volume and/or concentration need to be increased substantially.
Sulaiman
Tue May 08 2018, 04:50PM
klugesmith - you are a bad influence !

... due to your evil influence, I now have four 36" latex balloons and 500g drain cleaner - and I've started stockpiling aluminium cans.

I estimate that my 36" diameter balloons will need about 400 litres of hydrogen each,
I estimate about 25 aluminium cans (c14g each) and a 500g tub of drain cleaner sodium hydroxide to be sure of a little excess hydrogen.

I've not decided how to dry and neutralise (sodium hydroxide droplets) the hydrogen yet,
probably just a wad of cotton wool in a tube.

I hope to levitate 60m of stainless steel wire to act as a temporary antenna.
(UK limit for a tethered balloon)

I intend to start when I have enough cans and these arrive Link2
as I do not want to use my nice glassware for hot sodium hydroxide.

P.S. The only carbonated drink that I buy is Ginger Beer and the plastic coating on the inside and outside of these aluminium cans is very good at resisting sodium hydroxide solution... work in progress.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: