Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Protecting power supply from back EMF

Move Thread LAN_403
E.TexasTesla
Sat Jan 06 2018, 04:10AM
E.TexasTesla Registered Member #4362 Joined: Sat Jan 21 2012, 03:44AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but early 50's induction coils were powered by batteries.
Just use a battery.
StaticBuildup
Sun Jan 07 2018, 12:22AM
StaticBuildup Registered Member #61695 Joined: Sun Jul 16 2017, 11:22PM
I will try the T filter with those values and damping resistor and see what happens. Does the resistor have to be more than 1/4W as it might carry about 1 or 2A?

I will probably be using a linear power supply. I do sometimes use batteries, but some of those coils use more current than normal alkaline batteries can supply, about 2A. I don't have larger batteries than that.
2Spoons
Sun Jan 07 2018, 07:39PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
At 2A a 1 ohm series resistor will be dissipating 4W if its in the DC path. Put it in series with the capacitor and it only has to handle AC current, which should be much lower. My gut feel is a 10ohm 1W in series with the C.
StaticBuildup
Fri Jan 12 2018, 11:56PM
Thank you for the replies.

I looked for 47uH inductors and noticed there are different types, such as power inductors and choke coils, and different W and A ratings. I guess that the rating would have to be for the maximum current it would be used with? I would probably be using up to 3A.

And does the capacitor voltage rating have to take into account the voltage of the back EMF?
profdc9
Sat Jan 13 2018, 03:44AM
profdc9 Registered Member #58522 Joined: Tue Mar 15 2016, 08:33PM
Inductors that tend to work at low frequencies use laminated steel cores. These are typically good to < 10 kHz.
Inductors that work at higher frequencies tend to use ferrite or iron powder cores. Up to 1 MHz, typically MnZn ferrites are used, which are the typical ferrite materials used in switched-mode power supply transformers. Above 1 MHz, NiZn ferrites are used. Powdered iron cores of various mixes are also used as well as kHz and MHz range frequencies.

You can look at the self-resonance frequency (SRF) of the inductor if you have a datasheet. The self-resonance occurs because there is a capacitance between the turns of the inductor that are effectively in parallel with the inductance, so you get a parallel LC circuit, and near or above this frequency, the inductor doesn't behave like an inductance, and it will pass high frequencies because the capacitance dominates. The SRF should be at least twice the high frequency of use.

Like there are capacitor types that tend to be used for different frequency bands (for example electrolytic for low frequencies, ceramic or film capacitors for higher frequencies), you may have to use inductors for different frequency bands if you want to block a wide range of frequencies, especially going from kHz to low MHz. A high inductance lowers the SRF, so if you want to block many decades of bandwidth, you may need to have several filters in cascade for different frequency bands. You should probably figure out what the bandwidth of the pulse you expect to block is.

And the capacitor will have to be rated for the peak voltage (or well above it) that it will endure. You could consider using a zener, TVS diode, or MOV if you think that the voltage spikes are going to be significantly above the working voltage and so can be absorbed by these devices.
StaticBuildup
Tue Jan 16 2018, 12:05AM
Thank you for the explanation. Would inductors like these be OK? I couldn't find the SRF but they seem to be for EMF suppression.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPT047A3-Inductor-wire-47uH-3A-10m-THT-FERROCORE/173093512464?epid=577390885&hash=item284d2d6510:g:XZcAAOSwbWZaWLMo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DTPU047A3-Inductor-wire-L47uH-3A-48m-THT-L-I-0A75uH/162847997813?hash=item25ea7f3f75:g:Vs8AAOSwKwVaWLP4

I don't know what the peak voltage of the back EMF is, would it be measurable with an oscilloscope? I guess it couldn't be very high because it hasn't ever zapped me when I adjust the interrupter contacts, even when it is arcing.

If I used a MOV, where would it be in the circuit? In parallel with the load, or somewhere else?
2Spoons
Tue Jan 16 2018, 08:29PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Don't use a MOV - they wear out. They're a bit like fuses in that every time they fire they get damaged (how much depends on the impulse energy of course). They're really only meant as protection from major events, such as lightening surges.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: