ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Protecting power supply from back EMF

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
StaticBuildup
Mon Dec 25 2017, 11:56PM Print
StaticBuildup Registered Member #61695 Joined: Sun Jul 16 2017, 11:22PM
I want to use a bench power supply to power projects like induction coils and flyback drivers, but there is a problem with back EMF. Induction coils are particularly bad, the arcing on the interrupter contacts shows how much inductive kick there must be. Most bench power supplies won't power them. I use some diodes in series with the coil, which reduces the problem, but does anyone know of a better way?
2Spoons
Wed Dec 27 2017, 12:08AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
An L-C T filter will help. Make sure you use a capacitor with a low impedance.
Patrick
Wed Dec 27 2017, 12:45AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
well first i advise you to use a cheap PS like an ATX computer supply for this that way if you kill it no biggie.

second use zeners and or TVS diodes. across the outputs, and the 2spoons idea too.
StaticBuildup
Fri Dec 29 2017, 12:20AM
Thank you 2Spoons and Patrick for the replies. I looked up the L-C T filter and couldn't find an explanation of how it would be used to stop back EMF. Is there a formula for working out the values of L and C?

I tried the diode across the output and it greatly reduces the output of the coil, I think this is because the energy is dissipated through the diode instead of the secondary.
Patrick
Fri Dec 29 2017, 05:49AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
oh yeah i should have thought of that. the TVS or zener would short out the reverse high voltage from a current interupted inductor based HV output. let me think.
2Spoons
Fri Dec 29 2017, 11:17PM
The rationale for using a T filter is based on the fact that the back EMF is generally a fast pulse : in other words it contains a lot of high frequency energy. So the series L in the T acts to block the pulse (high impedance at high freq) and the C in the T acts to shunt what gets through the L. So the input of the power supply sees a greatly reduced spike as a result. Its not perfect, and never can be. As for values : generally as big as possible - with the caveat that large inductors have more interwinding capacitance which renders them ineffective at high frequencies, so too with large capacitors having a higher ESL- again rendering them less effective at high frequencies. Since I doubt you have a scope fast enough to catch the EMF pulse accurately, everything comes down to guesswork.
WizardG
Wed Jan 03 2018, 03:02AM
WizardG Registered Member #43481 Joined: Tue Mar 11 2014, 06:15PM
There should be very little arcing at the interruptor contacts if the condenser is the correct value. Try a larger value capacitor.
StaticBuildup
Fri Jan 05 2018, 12:09AM
Thank you for the replies.
Is there a special ratio for the L and C values or will any reasonable values do? I tried using an online calculator but I had to enter a cutoff frequency so I did 1kHz. I guess the capacitor has to be non-polarised because the voltage is reversed during back EMF. This limits the capacitance value as the ceramic capacitors are usually low values.

I will also try a larger value capacitor for the coils. One coil has the original Visconol capacitor from the 1950's. I measured the capacitance with a multimeter and it seems OK, but maybe it is not functioning properly during use. The output of the coil is poor and there is a continuous blue spark at the interruptor contacts. There is sometimes more spark action at the interruptor than the output. I have tried adding another capacitor in parallel, but that didn't improve it, maybe because the original is shorting. I will try to disconnect it and put a new one.
hen918
Fri Jan 05 2018, 11:42AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The voltage shouldn't go negative. When Back EMF occurs the EMF is positive, the same as the the voltage from the PSU (just higher), it's current that flows the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with using polarised electrolytics. I would go for a capacitance of a mF or so, and quite a low inductance. maybe 47uH. This gives a cutoff frequency of 1/(2*pi*srt(0.001*0.000047)) = 734 Hz, which is nice and low.

One thing to be aware of is that switched mode power supplies have control systems that are influenced by reactive components on the output. The designer knows how much capacitance to put on the output from the maximum ripple specification, and then designs the feedback system to take the capacitance into account. Adding reactive components like capacitors and inductors to the output changes how the power supply behaves and could result in instability (unwanted changes in output voltage, including periodic fluctuations and spikes).

In a well designed power supply, the above should not be a problem, as the designer should have given a large margin between the normal operating state and the unstable state, enough so you would need to put some very strange loads on it to cause anything bad to happen.
2Spoons
Fri Jan 05 2018, 09:10PM
hen918 wrote ...

One thing to be aware of is that switched mode power supplies have control systems that are influenced by reactive components on the output.

The usual fix for any instability is to add a damping resistor - in your case a few ohms in series with the PSU output would do. Same applies for driving reactive loads with op-amps.
Actually, adding a damping resistor to the T network is probably a good idea anyway - a few ohms in series with either L or C, or a k or so in parallel with either L or C. This provides a means of dissipating the energy in the EMF pulse, and stops the T network ringing. Again, you are going to have to experiment to find optimal values - this is where a scope comes in real handy.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: