ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lighting strings of T5 lamps with a NST

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Sun Nov 26 2017, 09:25PM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
The overhead fluorescent lamps where I work are being replaced with LED units that fit the same sockets and same ballasts. I could get more than 100 used T5's, standard 1163 mm length including pins.

That inspired some ideas for lighted holiday decorations. I took a 15 kV NST to the temporary pile of retired lamps, and had no trouble lighting a jury-rigged string of 8 lamps. Except for short, loosely-twisted wires repeatedly falling off of pins. Now working on a kluge to facilitate making a lot more temporary connections. Must be fast & easy to connect each lamp, and fast/easy/inexpensive to make the connector units. Pictures to follow.

Does anyone think a string of 20 lamps won't start? Peak output voltage of the NST should be more than 20 kV. No matter how it's divided up, at least one lamp will get more than 1000 volts, which I think will light even with cold cathodes.

For continuous operation, with few on/off cycles, what will happen to the cathodes if the arc current is much less than standard operation?

Any guesses as to the magnitude and frequency of arc current when a standard T5 ballast is used? I'm hoping to measure that on the bench tomorrow (Monday).
Patrick
Sun Nov 26 2017, 10:51PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
will the short circuit current hold the lamp on after the initial HV strike ? the nst may drop its voltage to prevent higher current.
radiotech
Tue Nov 28 2017, 07:47AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
I would avoid taking home old mercury bearing lamps until I
knew where and if they could be disposed of.

The lamps may light, but the NST is rated on how many feet of
neon tubing it can light.

And in the snow you don't want a string of them to part and arc.

I once (45 years ago) built a monster light display, consisting of
40 watt instant start fluorescent lamps connected in series. They were
driven by high power audio amps through transformers.

It lighted the valence of my firm's audio exhibition and was needed to last 2 weeks.

To get the color organ to really be impressive, it needed to hammer the bulbs.

It ate the lamps randomly. One of our crew was stationed behind the plastic panels,
with cartons (of 12) red,. green and blue tubes.

Twas a fiasco. And the service division had to distribute (hide) the cost
of all those odd lamps. But there were compliments on the display.

Don't set fire, or electrocute birds!

klugesmith
Wed Dec 13 2017, 08:32AM
klugesmith wrote ...
Now working on a kluge to facilitate making a lot more temporary connections. Must be fast & easy to connect each lamp, and fast/easy/inexpensive to make the connector units.
Finally got that one done. Fixture holds up to 20 lamps in a horizontal plane. Lamps are simply set in place, with the pins at each end resting on an insulating strip that supports half of the lamp's weight. Lateral positions are controlled by a vertical spacer pin between each pair of lamps. Bits of aluminum sticky tape, fixed on top of the insulator, form the connections on each end.
1513152702 2099 FT180911 Dscn0950

On the first attempt, with only six lamps, there was an unwanted arc between metal sleeves, leaving two lamps dark. Would I need to make new connector strips with wider gaps? A simple experiment was to skip alternate sections at each end, leaving huge gaps. That led to discovery that one tube was bad & wouldn't light at all. After replacing that one, the string of six lit up just fine. So I cut more tape, applied the other 12 or so shorting strips, and lit 20 lamps on the first try. Altogether, about 23 lineal meters of luminosity -- at about 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).
1513153894 2099 FT180911 Dscn0944

For later: measure the operating voltage and current. But not before outdoor Christmas lighting experiments. Big fluorescent stars, or icicles hanging from the eaves? As Radiotech warned: must not electrocute birds or start a fire. Good use for NST's _with_ Secondary Ground Fault Protection. smile

radiotech
Fri Dec 15 2017, 07:00AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Some data from an old book on neon signs.
1513321185 2463 FT180911 Neon Signs  Miller Fink  First Ed 1935 Lindsay Reprint

1513321185 2463 FT180911 Neon Signs Transformer Usage Fink Miller
klugesmith
Fri Dec 22 2017, 08:26AM
Thanks for sharing the practical neon tables, Radiotech.

I had some time to play this evening, and made a "medium size" star with primitive support & connections.

1513929034 2099 FT180911 Dscn9994

That after too much time on the computer, figuring out how flat one could make a pentagram out of rigid straight bars. The symmetrically overlapping strokes in popular images are, I think, the worst option for flatness.
1513929329 2099 FT180911 Pentagram1

There are three other topologically unique crossing orders. The one which looked most promising, while playing with soda straws, is thicker than 2x the tube diameter (duh!), but less than 3x.

Until computing segment length ratios, and seeing 1.618 everywhere, I'd forgotten about the close association between pentagrams and the Golden Ratio. Then when I tried to approximate the lengths with small integers, the progressively better "close fits" were all numbers in the Fibonacci series (as Dr Slack well knows). 8/5 is good, 13/8 is better, and 21/13 better yet.

Tonight's tube ends are mechanically connected with rubber doohickeys cut from a bicycle-tire inner tube. Electrically, thin stranded wire is held onto lamp pins with bits of clear PVC tubing.
1513930651 2099 FT180911 Dscn9995
Patric
Fri Dec 22 2017, 09:30AM
Patric Registered Member #2899 Joined: Wed Jun 02 2010, 06:31PM
I have put a Slayer Exciter under the table... smile

1513935030 2899 FT180911 Lampen

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: