All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rewinding MOT

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Thu Oct 26 2017, 06:15PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
the_anomaly wrote ...
... I've measured the secondary output as 257.5 VAC at 2.01A when connected to the kiln... somethings not right here. Perhaps I should include the inductance and calculate the complex impedance since the kanthal is coiled like an inductor and has significant length.
I bet you will find the inductance of the heater coil to be totally negligible in a 60 Hz circuit.

The measured inductance of a transformer winding, all alone (on the closed core), isn't particularly relevant here -- if the transformer were ideal then that inductance would be infinite. If you are equipped to measure such inductances, it would be educational to see the change after inserting a thin spacer (e.g. a sheet of paper, or even aluminum foil) between the core's E-block and I-block. Then maybe if you make the mating surfaces more flat & smooth than they came from the factory, and omit the spacer, you can assemble the core to be better than when it was new. Like hot rodders and karters making engines work better than new. smile

Our breath is bated, until you resolve the huge discrepancy between heater resistance measurement and heater volt/amp measurement.

If the latter are correct, then your project power requirement is much less than I'd imagined. Not even close to the max from a 120 volt wall outlet. The cleanest solution would be to get a heavier-gauge, lower-resistance Kanthal coil, better suited to 120 volts over the length that's used in your kiln. Or (duh!) cut your Kanthal coil in half, and connect the sections in parallel. Then if you need 150 V instead of 120 V, rewind your MOT to be a 30 volt transformer & connect it as a booster. We can guide you to an easy solution where the transformer will hardly get warm, running all day. Or cut the heating sections shorter, to get the same current (but less heating power) at 120 V.

If you cut the heating coil into three sections, all in parallel, then the working voltage would be less than 120 V. Now controllable with solid-state dimmers, or various passive ballast devices in series.

Or consider Radiotech's solution -- 240 V with series diode.
That reduces RMS voltage by a factor of sqrt(2), to 170 V RMS, and draws a DC current which is abusive to the power-pole transformer. Remedy: run the two halves of your heater on separate diodes, conducting in opposite phases of the power cycle. Multimeters whose AC modes aren't "true RMS" can give very misleading readings in circuits like that. In fact, so will typical True RMS meters, unless you measure V or I in both DC and AC modes, and then combine the results. You could back off from 170 V by adding ballast resistance in series, or using a buck transformer, or an appropriate solid-state dimmer.

If you end up using a boost or buck transformer, and want adjustable power without tying up your variac, construct the transformer secondary with multiple voltage taps.

Before turning your attention to heating things with the kiln, make sure the electric power connections are less ephemeral than alligator clips. As hinted in the schematic I posted above, there are subtle hazards. For example, what if boost/buck primary is not connected, while its low-voltage secondary remains in a series circuit with the power line and the load?
the_anomaly
Fri Oct 27 2017, 03:53PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Connect a diode in series with it, and run the system at 240 volts.

You will get ~ 1000 watts of heat.

Despite measuring 26.7ohms of DC resistance, it's not drawing 1000W of power at 240 Vac. Hence the kanthal is not getting nearly hot enough.

No, it's not saturating at half an amp, it's saturating at an input voltage of 100v

Understood!

I believe I have solved my issue! My variac has a no load output adjustable from 0-148 Vac. With a couple amp load, the top end voltage drops to 140 V. I've been running the MOT at 140V in boost configuration to reach the ~260 V I wanted. Both primary and secondary get super hot in minutes. So this solution does not work.

As it currently is, with no load on the secondary, the primary gets very hot anyway. I measured it to 130 C after a few minutes and it still seems to be climbing. Thinking about the 100V where its saturating, it makes sense that the primary would get hot the current draw with no load on the secondary increases exponentially with voltage. I dropped the input voltage from 140 to 120 and the temperature of the primary drops to 90 C which I think is acceptable. This is how the transformer was designed to operate, at 120 Vac, and I've been pushing it well past this point. But now the output voltage is not nearly high enough...

After some further research and thinking, I decided to run two (120V) MOTs in series from 240 Vac mains. Each transformer got 30 turns of multi-strand 18 AWG (silicone insulation) wire for its secondary. I connected both secondaries in series and then configured the whole system as a boost transformer as shown:

20series

Secondaries remain cool, primaries hold steady at 90 C, and I get 295 Vac output under load!!! This is perfect! Kanthal is getting much hotter and glowing much brighter. I'm going to add a fan to help the MOTs stay cool and will definetely change to crimp connections before I do any more work. Thanks all for the suggestions and discussion!

radiotech
Sat Oct 28 2017, 12:57AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM

An accurate measure of power involving resistance can be had with a thermal ammeter.
These can be found cheaply. The other thing necessary is the actual resistance at
the temperature involved.

Since these values chase their tails, the only other thing is a THERMAL CONVERTER.

Which may be found in the Hobbs of Hell. cheesey

30 mV = 1 k W

1509152219 2463 FT180737 Thermal Converter I

1509152219 2463 FT180737 Thermal Converter Calibration Board

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: