All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Which 3D printer do you have? (if you have one)

Move Thread LAN_403
Slava
Sat Oct 21 2017, 10:58PM Print
Slava Registered Member #518 Joined: Tue Feb 13 2007, 05:20AM
I have a Monoprice Select Mini V2 ... $220 (I love it but you need to mod and fix it up sometimes)

I want to eventually get a FlashForge Finder
Carbon_Rod
Sun Oct 22 2017, 03:43AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
I have built several custom aluminum Prusa i3 FDM kits for heated 60'C build chambers (Nylon/ABS needs fume extraction too). The $300 kits all had a few key issues during the build, and ultimately end up a custom Rep-Rap RAMPs design variant everytime. Yet if you are experienced, for about $40 in after-market parts they can run for years provided they are oiled before use, and constructed using thread-lock/silicone-RTV glues. Most people are disillusioned by the technology given one must still treat these like a regular CNC machine, and not like an office paper printer.

The official Prusa i3 MKII/III is about $800, but includes many auto-calibration features and Windows printer support.
If you can ever find stock, it removes many of the subtle issues people will encounter.

My biggest complaint about the hobby is the amount of utterly incorrect information people post online, or those shilling terrible options to people just starting out. Like many others, I have seen the plastic parts in cheaper kits fail after 10 months of operation. Sure, you initially saved $100, but end up having to constantly repair/toss/recycle the unreliable machines.

Keep in mind our use case for FDM parts is for mechanical usability, and I tended to customize everything from the driver configuration to the hot end.
2Spoons
Sun Oct 22 2017, 04:47AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
I rolled my own delta - using aluminium 2020 extrusion, linear bearings and various bits from all over aliexpress. Driven by a Smoothieboard, with steppers from ebay, and extruders and hotend from DTA labs. Printing now, but still being worked on - to do list includes dual extrusion for support material, and a raspberry pi as a server
Justin
Sun Oct 22 2017, 05:21AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
I built a Hadron ORD Bot back when the kits first came out, didn't use it much and sold it. Then last year or so I bought a couple of Makerbot Minis for basically nothing. After fixing the front panel and extruder they've worked okay, I wouldn't recommend them though.

Now I'm building another one with basically leftovers from other projects for the increased build volume.
hen918
Tue Oct 24 2017, 08:27AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
A Solidoodle 2.
Solidoodle went out of business, so it now has a smoothieboard as a controller (very good), and an all new extruder assembly / hot-end when the old one fell apart. I had experimented with an air cooled 500 degree C hot-end, but when the heating element died, I gave up and switched back to the old one.
It is a very robust 3D printer with a solid steel frame made of riveted angle.
Patrick
Wed Oct 25 2017, 12:20AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Flash Forge wooden one. USD 800. (I think the metal ones were $1400 at the time)

Love it!

As Carbon said dont think its like a printer or fax machine. you gotta put skill and effort into it. Its a knock-off of the $2,000 rep-raps, i bought the wooden one because it was cheaper than the metal one and didnt need or expect 0.0000001 inch accuracy.

My machine has a SD card slot and can run totally on its own, even modding settings on its front panel. it also has that funny USB printer end and can be run in real time on a computer. having both options is nice, if your computer has funny things in the background interrupting the USB, then switch over to the SD-card.

I will give you three points of advice.

-First, Use "Simplify3D" it does everything, DXF to Printing. whole deal. its $140 free upgrades profound productivity.

-Second, Simplfy3D or other software can help you compensate for minor unavoidable defects. A expensive machine run poorly isnt better than a mid-cost machine run well.

-Third, buy one of these, a dial indicators and print a 45 degree base for it:

1508890811 2431 FT180729 Plunger
This one was $20. I have a $400 one from 1970, you dont need that. this way you can get each corner of the table at the same elevation for the first few passes. too deep and the nozzle drags on the table, too high and you just smear and not stick all over.

I buy from Taulman and Octave. Use good filament.
IamSmooth
Fri Nov 03 2017, 12:27AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Maker Gear

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: