All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help with current limiting.

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Fri Dec 18 2015, 07:18PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Electra wrote ...

Don't know what you call bogus signals, If you mean want to run it open loop there's a test circuit for that in the data sheet, you have to set up the op-amp part, simple dc feedback just treat it as any ordinary op-amp ( pins 1,2,3). Turn a pot and see the pwm waveform change.

PWM works by comparing sawtooth wave (that's your ramp input pin) and a control voltage (the output from the op-anp part) using a comparator. At the start of each cycle a latch is set turning the output high, soon as the ramp exceeds the dc level of the control voltage the comparator changes state re-setting the latch, the outputs go low. So increasing the control voltage increases the duty cycle.
Ok let me build the open loop circuit.

1450466290 2431 FT174221 Cmc Schem
This is a totally new incomplete schematic. I think that red group of components (red in the example circuit, not this one) is for the peak current mode control. so I modding it for pulse by pulse.

Do you guys think I'm putting the CT result into the right IC pins ?

Electra
Fri Dec 18 2015, 10:24PM
Electra Registered Member #816 Joined: Sun Jun 03 2007, 07:29PM
Well it's not the wrong pin, but remember these things are designed to work with an inductor after the power transformer or as part of the load, so it going to work best with a wave that has a sloping top, if you hit it with a rectangular wave with a resistive load the comparator is either going to be 'on' early on in the cycle or it isn't. If it starts randomly skipping half cycles could be a bit unpredictable. There's only one way to find out..

Don't forget to connect you ramp pin to ct 6+7 it hadn't been drawn but you said it was incomplete.

edit, the page timed out or it got lost, crappy internet connection sorry if it's a double post
Patrick
Fri Dec 18 2015, 11:09PM
Link2 website on switching transistors. mental note: comeback to this later.

1449212862 2431 FT0 Uc3

1450331828 2431 FT1630 Spike

these two examples show a vertical rise, a ramp upward, then a vertical fall. So the ramp pin and comparator figure this out I think. but when you mention this inductor... is it a power inductor or a small signal inductor ?

1450482418 2431 FT1630 Cmc Schem
Further revised. including CT section.

Electra
Sun Dec 20 2015, 12:54AM
Electra Registered Member #816 Joined: Sun Jun 03 2007, 07:29PM
Yes I was referring to the power inductor at the output from the transformer, the current rises steadily as it stores the energy during the 'on' period, if its already has continuous current flowing in it you get the instant vertical rise to that point. The off period of course just circulates the current through the secondary diodes to the output, so it doesn't reflect anything back to the primary.

It's hard to speculate more at this stage, you're better off building an experimental version to get feel of how it all works.
Patrick
Sun Dec 20 2015, 03:50AM
Electra wrote ...

Yes I was referring to the power inductor at the output from the transformer...

do you mean the CT or a special added inductor or stray inductance from the transformer ?
hen918
Sun Dec 20 2015, 04:54PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Patrick wrote ...

Electra wrote ...

Yes I was referring to the power inductor at the output from the transformer...

do you mean the CT or a special added inductor or stray inductance from the transformer ?

Neither, it's part of the LC filter on the output, after the rectification, before the smoothing capacitors.
Patrick
Sun Dec 20 2015, 07:09PM
WHOA i NEVER would have figured that out ! the OUTPUT inductor ! Not in a million years. you just SAVED me bro. but now does that mean isolation is more difficult ?
Patrick
Tue Dec 22 2015, 04:18AM
Its looking like electrical isolation may not be possible in this design.

the only exception I can find is if its possible to use the power inductor, as a sensing transformer, with a single loop feeding back to the pin1/inv op-amp section.
hen918
Tue Dec 22 2015, 11:52AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
No, there doesn't need to be an electrical connection to the secondary side, Electra was just describing how the current fluctuations at the output inductor "ripple back" through the circuit and cause the current fluctuations at the input that the controller is expecting but, on a test rig, might not get.
Patrick
Tue Dec 22 2015, 07:34PM
OK so I think the ramp at Ct is compared to the ramp from the current transformer. when the transformer exceeds the ramp the PWM is terminated early.

I think...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: