Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Toroidal Transformer Design

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ross Allan
Mon Nov 23 2015, 05:48PM Print
Ross Allan Registered Member #55411 Joined: Mon Jul 06 2015, 04:57PM
I've been working on an HV transformer design using two toroidal cores (stacked) I acquired recently.

Fqmrm16h

Winding Calculations

Design parameters

The core losses are taken from this chart.

Do the calculations seem correct? They're probably not... :( Planning to wind one of the 400Hz rows marked in green.
Wastrel
Tue Nov 24 2015, 11:26PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
Are you planning to rectify mains and drive a bridge?
Ross Allan
Wed Nov 25 2015, 12:57AM
Wastrel wrote ...

Are you planning to rectify mains and drive a bridge?
Yes, 240VAC -> Active PFC (totem-pole topology with GaN HEMTs) -> 400VDC -> full bridge -> 400V 400Hz square wave.

Could have PFC stage boost to 565VDC instead, and then full bridge -> 400VAC sine wave. Don't think it's worth it, as the reduction in core losses will probably be less than the increase in switching losses.
Wastrel
Fri Nov 27 2015, 06:10PM
I'm not good with transformer theory.

Where did you get the spreadsheet you are using for the calculations?

I'm trying to repeat the minimum turns to stay out of saturation and I'm getting lower numbers. 73 turns producing 1.1T rather than 1.6 at 50Hz. I think the 400Hz route is weird and I'm wondering if keeping the cores split would let you put enough copper on to get decent performance at 50Hz.

Btw what fraction of your winding window are you planning to use?

I also have a probably insane idea to track the 50Hz waveform and switch polarity at the peak to get you pseudo 100Hz. It's ugly, but wouldn't need big capacitors.

What is the transformer for?
Ross Allan
Fri Nov 27 2015, 08:22PM
Wastrel wrote ...

I'm not good with transformer theory.
That makes two of us :) My formal education in this area goes as far as a lecturer skimming over something along the lines of "Voltage ratio = turns ratio, don't have too few turns or it won't work".

Wastrel wrote ...

Where did you get the spreadsheet you are using for the calculations?

I made it, so it's both poorly laid out and probably incorrect.

Wastrel wrote ...

I'm trying to repeat the minimum turns to stay out of saturation and I'm getting lower numbers. 73 turns producing 1.1T rather than 1.6 at 50Hz.

(possibly dodgy calculations follow)

Erms = 4.44 * f * N * a * Bpeak.

Setting Bpeak = 1.1T, f = 50Hz, Erms = 400V and a = 0.01729m^2 after applying 95% stacking factor, solving gives N = 95 turns.

For a square wave, 4.44 is changed to 4 and N = 105.

Can you post your calculations to compare with?

Wastrel wrote ...

I think the 400Hz route is weird and I'm wondering if keeping the cores split would let you put enough copper on to get decent performance at 50Hz.

I've copied the spreadsheet and adjusted it for a single small (H = 70mm) core to 5500V and 7.5kVA capacity. Paralleling the primaries and putting the secondaries in series would then allow for equivalent capacity. Looks like overall losses will end up being higher.

As the number of layers goes up, the calculation for number of layers becomes inaccurate due to not properly accounting for the reduction in inner diameter. I'll have a go at fixing that later.

Link2

Wastrel wrote ...

Btw what fraction of your winding window are you planning to use?

Hoping to use as few layers as reasonably possible to improve heat dissipation and make it easier to wind - a 26mmx14mm cross-section bicycle wheel needs to fit through it for winding.

Wastrel wrote ...

I also have a probably insane idea to track the 50Hz waveform and switch polarity at the peak to get you pseudo 100Hz. It's ugly, but wouldn't need big capacitors.

Chopping the input waveform like that is an interesting idea, I don't know whether it will work. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Wastrel wrote ...

What is the transformer for?
Aim: To wind a transformer with similar capacity and losses as a small pole pig, except smaller/cheaper due to operating at a higher frequency.
Wastrel
Sun Nov 29 2015, 08:48PM
I could have sworn the voltage on the spreadsheet was 325Vish, has it been changed? That's the main reason my numbers are wrong.

I have the feeling that the capacitor this is going to need will be huge, and the current requirement will make it expensive.

The energy wasted is quite flat and I think it's to do with how you are calculating copper used. Fixed diameter wire, single winding. I think if you wind more copper on the core the power wasted will drop. Tape for the primary for example. This may make it optimal to use a lower frequency than 400hz and radiate much less total heat.

You know about interleaving primary and secondary windings, right? This will be harder given the secondary voltage.

I'm surprised splitting the cores isn't better, but then the main advantage would be to use more copper. I'd also consider hacksawing away some of the inner ring, which would cost you some area but open up the winding window a lot.

How did you calculate the cross sectional area of core you needed for 15kva? I know you are in the right ball park for 50Hz operation but I'm quite fuzzy on the actual maths for that. You may have much more metal than you need for 400Hz (are proportionally more hysteresis loss).

My transformer theory is weak as I said, I have done a lot of reading for a core of my own and I know enough to know I don't know what I'm talking about. Some things I think are generally true are that toroidal cores are good for low leakage of flux and can have a huge winding window compared to E cores, but that you pay a heavy price if you don't fill most of it with copper.

Something else I think is true is that for a resistive load your copper losses should be highest when the load draws full current, and the core losses should be highest when the load draws no current. This make sense to you?
hen918
Mon Nov 30 2015, 06:20PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Using your formula, and rearranging to find N, I got Erms/(f*a*Bpeak*4.44). using 4 instead of 4.44, f=400, a=0.01729, Bpeak=1.1 and Erms=400, I got 1/(4*0.01729*1.1)= 13.14475turns.
Wastrel
Mon Nov 30 2015, 07:22PM
I believe Bpeak is in gauss and the area is in square centimetres.

Edit,
Umm, after a sleep that looks completely wrong :)

I think the issue those numbers don't happen is that the higher field at 400Hz would turn the core into a space heater.
Ross Allan
Tue Dec 01 2015, 02:52PM
Wastrel wrote ...

Umm, after a sleep that looks completely wrong :)

I think the issue those numbers don't happen is that the higher field at 400Hz would turn the core into a space heater.
Yes, it'll work until the transformer melts. Link2

1.1T -> ~12W/kg -> 400W heating.

edit: I can't use graphs, corrected 22W/kg -> 12W/kg
Newton Brawn
Sat Dec 12 2015, 03:33AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Ross
First let us know:
Service factor:
1 for continuous service at full load,
0,5 for work 5 minutes in a period of 10 minutes,
0.2 for working 2 minutes in a period of 10 minutes.
(Welding machines transformers are designed for .2~.5 service factor)
Second :
Do you have intention of add a small fan to cool the core ?
Third:
Use all units as IS system.
m for meter,
kg for weight,
T for tesla,
V for volt
A for amper
Etc
Do not play with gauss, oersted, gilberts, centimeter, inch, pound, once, inch etc etc
Third:
Define yours design parameters

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: