Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need Help With a PFC and PWM Circuit.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Nov 18 2015, 07:51AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
I'm needing help with a circuit which I cant understand.
Using the FAN4800IN IC, id like to build a wall-line powered power supply. I cant figure out why this IC only has one PWM out pin, yet their example circuits show two transistors being driven, which appear to be push-pull. I'm looking for 1,000 watts -ish so I want to use a active PFC so as not to trash the power quality on the line side.

Here is the pic:

1447833071 2431 FT0 Fan Pdf
Here is the pic of the schematic, with the red outline showing the parts I don't understand. I don't know if those T1A and T1B coils are gate drive transformers, that would make this drive circuit more like Steve Wards circuit below.

1447833071 2431 FT0 Pwm
Here are the waveforms id like to have, but a simple JK toggle gate didn't work.

1447833071 2431 FT0 Fbschematic
Heres Steve Ward's half bridge, which would work similarly in my Push-Pull application, from a driving point of view. (the 555 only puts out a single pin PWM out.

]fan4800-187878.pdf[/file] Here is the full PDF from Fairchild, FAN4800IN.

The FAN4800 does limit the PWM signal to less than 50%, which if driving two transistors would resist shoot through, and only one on at a time.
Goodchild
Wed Nov 18 2015, 06:18PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Well for starters that's not a push-pull converter that's a foreword converter. The PWM waveform you have drawn is not consistent with a foreword converters mode of operation (they don't run with interleaved PWM). Foreword converters operate in flyback mode. More or less this is a two switch flyback converter (foreword converter is just the fancy name).

NSCPowerFig2

As far as the PWM goes, T1B and T1A is a gate drive transformer for driving the high side gate of Q2.

Lastly this is not the PFC section. In their implementation that foreword convert is acting as a secondary PWM section down converting the high voltage produced by the PFC boost section (composed of Q1, L1, D1, and C4/C5).

Another thing to note is D3, C12, and the AUX winding of T2 form the parasitic power supply for the converter logic and gate drive.

Eric
Sulaiman
Wed Nov 18 2015, 07:13PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
just a side note that may or may not influence you,
repairing / fault-finding a PFC/PWM smpsu is no fun !
equipment that has independent PFC and PWM stages is
overall much more complex and expensive
but may be more versatile in a hobby environment

P.S. independent opto-isolated status and control lines are useful.
Goodchild
Wed Nov 18 2015, 09:01PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

just a side note that may or may not influence you,
repairing / fault-finding a PFC/PWM smpsu is no fun !
equipment that has independent PFC and PWM stages is
overall much more complex and expensive
but may be more versatile in a hobby environment

I agree with this completely. Modularity is a huge bonus when debugging. In addition it reduces complexity (per stage) and helps bread higher reliability as it builds some redundancy into the system.
Patrick
Wed Nov 18 2015, 09:26PM
I'm trying to avoid the forward converter and flyback mode.
ive got a special planar transformer device I need to run, but it needs to be push-pull and PFC driven.

Ive been looking at steve wards active PFC, Link2 I always meant to keep the two stages separate.

Heres the common simplified circuit I have been studying. Link2

Goodchild
Thu Nov 19 2015, 12:53PM
Don't get me wrong foreword converters are nice and simple with their low side only switches. The only down side is that it only utilizes half of the winding volume on the primary for any given switching half cycle. This has the tendency to drive the size of the magnetic up compared to other typologies that process the same amount of power.

It may not be a big deal for your application but it's worth mentioning. I would recommend a half/full bring drive if you plan on utilizing all of your transformer.
Patrick
Thu Nov 19 2015, 07:53PM
Goodchild wrote ...

It may not be a big deal for your application but it's worth mentioning. I would recommend a half/full bring drive if you plan on utilizing all of your transformer.

I'm planning to use a push-pull copper foil primary, I realize that half and full bridges are more often used at the high powers, but in this case I think the push pull starts to approach the packing efficiency of the single primary topologies.

Link2 this is the planar thread.
hen918
Thu Nov 19 2015, 10:20PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Patrick wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

I'm planning to use a push-pull copper foil primary, I realize that half and full bridges are more often used at the high powers, but in this case I think the push pull starts to approach the packing efficiency of the single primary topologies.

Link2 this is the planar thread.

I like the push-pull topology. I've designed and (almost) made a 24 to 240V 3000W inverter using 4 MOSFETs (two in parallel) push/pulling a centre tapped transformer (ETD-59 core).
Yes half of the primary isn't being used half of the time, however full-bridge you have the extra losses from the extra MOSFETs/IGBTs
Really, full bridge and push pull are electrically very similar.

Be aware, when PWMing both full-bridge and push-pull, there needs to be something in place to prevent flux walking, where a DC component created by the uneven switching could get larger and larger until it saturates the transformer core, causing catastrophic overheating and component death.
The easiest way to mitigate against this is to use current based control, in my inverter this was a problem because this requires either CTs or shunt resistors for current sensing, which would, with average primary currents up to 160A, cause unacceptable power wastage. My solution was to use a portion of the PCB track as a very low value shunt resistor and use a fast op-amp to get it to a level that the controller IC could use.
With mains voltages this won't be a problem.
Patrick
Fri Nov 20 2015, 02:32AM
yeah, I may be using the FAN4800IN ic for its PFC capability, and the UC28025 for its current mode control. (as per sulaimans point)

1447987135 2431 FT0 1409635585 2431 Ft1630 Bobbin10

1447987135 2431 FT0 1409458881 2431 Ft0 Bobbin2

This is the 3D printed secondary.
Ross Allan
Fri Nov 20 2015, 12:33PM
Ross Allan Registered Member #55411 Joined: Mon Jul 06 2015, 04:57PM
If you can acquire some GaN HEMTs (eg: TPH3205WS), a totem pole (bridgeless) topology will be more efficient as you don't have any diode drops. Switching losses will be too high with MOSFETs, may also work with IGBTs ( Link2 ).
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: