Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Inductive or capacitive ballast for big transformer

Move Thread LAN_403
GrantX
Sun Jul 26 2015, 04:15PM Print
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to build a new ballast for my large HV power supply project. The power supply is based around a dry-type 15kVA, 4.16kV utility transformer made by GE, with 230V 50Hz imposed on the two 120V coils in series. The final design will include three lighting ballasts (6A each at 230V, for a 6A - 18A variable ballast) for low power stuff, so now I need to build a much higher power choke. The range I had in mind is roughly 16mH - 18.5mH.

I've got a nice large MOT core, with bolt holes on all four corners, which will make it very easy to reassemble with an airgap. I've also got the bare core from a 150-250VA transformer (based on its size), the laminations are interleaved with no airgap.
Starting with the MOT, I measured the winding window and I think I can (optimistically) squeeze in about 83 turns of 2.5mm^2 insulated wire. After measuring the inductance of the primary with the secondaries shorted and counting the turns it seems my 83 turn coil would end up around 19.8mH with no airgap. The core will obviously saturate without a gap, and I'm worried the airgap may end up reducing the inductance below any useful value.
I had an idea for increasing the inductance without needing a larger core, but I'm not entirely confidant that it will work. I was thinking about reducing the number of turns of 2.5mm^2 wire and squeezing on a secondary coil consisting of a few turns of thick wire. The smaller iron E core I mentioned earlier will have a few turns of thick wire wound onto it, and will be connected across the ballast's secondary coil. Essentially, turning the ballast inductor into a transformer with a gapped core.

Is this feasible for intermittent duty? The power supply will be mainly fed by a 2.5mm^2 line and 20A circuit breaker, but operation from higher-powered connections is likely in the future.
Here's a schematic showing the two ideas:
1437926651 4074 FT1630 Inductive Ballast

Here's a few pics of the MOT core and its smaller brother:
Link2
Link2
Link2

And some pics of the 135kg transformer in question:
Link2
Link2
Link2
Wolfram
Sun Jul 26 2015, 05:43PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Adding the secondary and the second inductor to the MOT is equivalent to increasing the air gap, so there's no real benefit to doing it. No free lunch to be had there.

A single MOT core contains way too little iron to reasonably ballast such a large transformer, at least if you want any significant power for a significant time. More iron is the first order of business, an old welder would be a step in the right direction.
GrantX
Sun Jul 26 2015, 06:57PM
Haha, yes. I guess I rushed through it and failed to see that error. Loading the ballast with a secondary coil and inductor will decrease the impedance seen on the primary circuit rather than increase it (just like shorting out the secondary of an MOT when using the primary as a ballast). Oops.

The other compact and affordable option is capacitive ballasting. It seems to be best to place the capacitor in series with the HV coil, rather than the primary. A string of motor run capacitors would probably be easiest. But I do worry about the chance of voltage spikes damaging the transformer's insulation, despite the relatively low voltage.
GrantX
Sun Aug 02 2015, 03:02PM
I had a chance to search through my workshop, and have come up with 2 solutions. The first one would involve removing the coils from a bunch more MOTs, rewinding them with 4mm^2 cable and placing them in series (with air-gaps in the cores of course).

However, it would be easier and cheaper to make use of some of the capacitors laying around. I have enough to make various rugged HV capacitor arrays, up to about 6uF max, with sufficient voltage and current headroom. My first choice would be lots of identical motor-run capacitors in series along with bleeder resistors, like these: Link2

First of all, I'd like some advice on the do's and dont's of capacitive ballasts and safety in particular, since this is a lot of power (the capability for 24kVA+). I'll be wearing a ton of PPE along with an experienced friend and all the relevant fusing/breakers. The motor run caps are easy to mount, so I think I'll construct some sort of blast shield out of lexan sheeting. Is this a sane option, or should I continue with the inductive ballast? My main concern is the capacitors suddenly shorting out and letting through 50+ kVA for a moment, or failure of the transformer's epoxy insulation (which seems unlikely).

Another big concern is versatility. A capacitive ballast in series with the HV coils may not be suitable for all loads, but then again it may not become an issue. Is there anything in particular that could cause damage to either the transformer or caps?
Ash Small
Sun Aug 02 2015, 04:29PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Resonant rise?.....What's the inductance of the secondary?
GrantX
Mon Aug 03 2015, 02:40PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Resonant rise?.....What's the inductance of the secondary?

Just measured the leakage inductance of the HV coil tonight. Roughly 134 mH, with the primary shorted. So I guess something in the range of 75 uF, in series with the HV coil, would resonate (~42 Ohms @ 50 Hz). I was planning on using 2-4 uF, with a bank of microwave oven caps (or the lighting ballasts) for low power and a large bank of motor-run caps for higher power.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: