Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

another driver expieriment

Move Thread LAN_403
teravolt
Sun Oct 15 2006, 02:15AM Print
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I apoligize if I steped on someone elses thread but I'm excited about getting the board to work. I'm going to try to poast the scematic if any body has questions from the last thread. the only thing I don't like about this board is that I wanted the gate drive to be -5v to 20v but the IXDD414CI has a 1/3 2/3 treshold of vcc and in my last version of this pcb I could not get it go to -5 at the gate. If any body can help me I am looking for a simple scematic or IC that will take 5v logic and go to -5 and 15v and inverting and be fast. I would have used CMOS but it is to slow. thanks N.B.
1160878524 195 FT0 Dscn0584

1160878525 195 FT0 Mosfet Driver
Marko
Sun Oct 15 2006, 11:36AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I have little to say but O_O

Why did you use UCC's to drive just the optocouplers?

Are those boards silvered? suprised

Steve Conner
Sun Oct 15 2006, 03:24PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yea, it looks insanely complex! O_O What do all the extra bits do?
Marko
Sun Oct 15 2006, 04:32PM
'the extra bits' seem to be overcurrent protection, frequency divider (bistable) and a level shifter circuit made out of an UCC (?).

Entire thing is optoisolated and opto's are driven with UCC37324's again, I gueess that's for Uberspeed.
teravolt
Sun Oct 15 2006, 06:56PM
FIRKRAGG I use the uccs to drive the optos because of there low on and off impedance. I tried using just a pull down but the off rise time was to slow. Normally these optos are inverting so the output is high when the LED is off so a standard pull down gives a great fall time and a shity rise time. Driving the LED helps speed it up. The other portion you mention is the current set point and the LT1016. The set point trimmer is just an adjustable referance for pin3. As the current through R7 goes up so does the voltage so U7 sets U1 A,B R-S FF. U1B6 does two things. it disables the IXDD414CI . Pin 2 on the driver goes to a high-Z and the BS170 turns on discharging the gate. R11 and the gate capaitance RC provides a soft shut down in a fault condition. I found this design in the IXDD414CI applications data at IXYS and moified it. it was originaly designed for bricks. The parts I added are the oneshots and optos.

U5A does two things also, 1: sets U1B, 2: sends a 1 second pulse to the LED, T-1528 F/O port, and ISO2. Fault is 1s so I can see a fault at the LED. The actual fault hapens at the falling edge about 200ns after the event. The UCC atached to the fault is used for a low impedance driver to the Zero circuitry.

U5 is used as a pulse detector and U1 C,D makes a 10ns pulse to reset U1A. Through this circuitry a pulse burst at the input will send only one 10ns reset pulse.

If the UCC37324 and optos are removed a F/O reciever and transmiter can be used but is more expensive. I missed a little of the scematic and added the missing gate resistors. this scematic goes from 0 to 5Mhz tested and when I get a decent scope I will have more to show. hear are some pictures of my first driver using 40n60s mini brick. this pcb works simularly and is a half bridge that has 200ns pulse widths. Hopefully I will reach the 100ns target for the 40n60s

How these circuit will behave with a tesla in a full bridge I dont know. My hope is to make a DRSSTC that is 5Mhz or regular tesla tht runs at or near CW. N.B.

1160938583 195 FT17108 Dc2

1160938583 195 FT17108 Dscn0594
Marko
Fri Oct 20 2006, 08:53PM
What did you use to cover the boards? It looked like silver to me first but now it looks more like solder. Did you use some kind of flux for it?

Those boards look like factory craft...
teravolt
Sat Oct 21 2006, 04:21AM
I used the "expressPCB" program and in the program there is an option for ground plains. there budget 3.8*2.5" PCB has no green protective coating. I use the ground plain to reduce inductance in the circuit

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: