Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Royer circuit - blown MOSFET?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Colin 99
Sat Oct 07 2006, 07:17PM Print
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
Well I built a Royer flyback driver circuit this week and all seemed fine unit I connected 3 - 12volt batteries to it and a IRFP460 failed (sparks and smoke : - )) ). After re-reading the specs I saw that they are only good for 18.4 amps, so I either had a bad MOSFET or I was pulling over 20 amps from those batteries ! The MOSFET blew while I was pulling a long arc off of the flyback.

Can I use IGBT's on this circuit? I have some 30N60 IGBTs that are rated for 30amps.

Is there other variations of this circuit or has someone tried different values of parts?

thanks,

Shaun

royer circuit

1160248649 192 FT0 Flyback Driver
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Oct 07 2006, 07:53PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
<removed> (oops, I must first read the post carefully...) ill

Yes you can use IGBTs.

Things to try: higher voltage Zeners (15-18v), different primary capacitor
Didn't you have a loose connection somewhere (e.g. to the zeners)? Primary winding shorted from overheating can also cause Mosfet failure.
Marko
Sat Oct 07 2006, 08:35PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Something looks wrong if you are pulling that amount of current at 36V.

That would be 720watts for cripes sake, and no flyback could endure that for more than miliseconds.

At that voltage you should be drawing under 10amps with shorted flyback output.

IGBT's won't help you if your circuit is bad, you could be saturating the inductor, have something bad etc.

That 20amp thing doesn't sound good to me!
Colin 99
Sat Oct 07 2006, 09:19PM
Well I could try higher voltage zeners.

The Inductor is not saturating, it's an air wound inductor of 128 microhenries, calculated and measured.

The capacitor is a Cornell Dublier 0.68uF 600 volt pulse cap, so it should be good.

I was using a 0-35 volt, 0 - 6amp variable power supply when I first started playing with this circuit and once I pulled the arc over ~2 1/2 inches the power supply would current limit and I'd loose the arc. With no arc it was drawing over 1 amp.

I also have a meter / oscilloscope near the circuit and it would pick up the emf and showed a waveform somewhere between a sine wave and a triangle wave, nice and stable. The frequency was 27 Khz open circuit(no arc) and ~50 Khz with an arc. I did not take any direct measurements.

Also with 2 batteries (24 volts) it worked fine, longer arcs without current limit.
Colin 99
Sun Oct 08 2006, 02:52AM
Well I replaced the MOSFETs with IGBTs and I replaced the 13 volt zeners with 15 one, the circuit works again. The source pin on one original MOSFET was burned right off and one zener had bit the dust.

I found that 36 volts input it too much for my flyback!! It flashes over from some of the other windings. 24 volts seems ok. The circuit draws upto 10 amps, I measured it.

Question: What is the right way to determine the ground connection of a flyback transformer?
Sun Oct 08 2006, 04:41AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You just take the hv out and wave it arround the pins at the bottom. The one that it arks to like mad is the one...
Electroholic
Sun Oct 08 2006, 07:22AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
try somethign with a little less on resistance.
for irfp250 it's <85mohm and for irfp460 it's <270mohm
igbts would work great, too
Colin 99
Thu Oct 19 2006, 02:44AM
I made a jaccobs ladder using 1/2 inch brass strips(they're nice and sturdy) , I mounted everything on plex and ceramic insulators so it all looks good but I can't get the ladder to restart. I tried to use a thin wire at the base connected to one of the ladders but now it just arcs at that point and stays there.

How can I get this JL to work properly with the royer circuit ?

--- I guess I could try two thin rods insted of metal strips ----- any other suggestions.

thanks,

shaun
Thu Oct 19 2006, 05:16AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
If you are using a AC (old disk type) flyback you could build a simple voltage doubler out of a small (~1nf@30kv) cap and a diode out of the tv (or string of high speed diodes to give like 50kv).

You could also try adding a 3rd electrode in the middle (I forget what it is called) that is connected to the second rod by a high value resistor. The first electrode arks to it (because it is close enough) because of the high value resistor, but as soon as the ark forms the resistance of the ark is much less that that of the resistor, so the electrode looks like it is floating at the potential of the first electrode, but is now physically much closer to the second one, so it can ark over, and then it all starts.

Short of that all you can do it move the electrodes closer and make nice sharp bends to lower the breakdown voltage...
ragnar
Thu Oct 19 2006, 05:58AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Here's what you're looking for; I think you're referring to a "Gabriel electrode".. the jacob's ladder application of this is documented here:
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/jacobs.htm

"You will notice that there is a third electrode at the base of the vee, and this is a Gabriel electrode used to make the gap at the bottom of the vee less critical. In a normal Jacobs ladder there is no third electrode and it can sometimes be difficult to balance the shape of the vee for the best results."

"If the base is too close then the arc won't rise all the way to the top of the ladder because it's easier just to jump the gap at the bottom again. If the base is too far apart then there is the serious risk of the arc not striking at all meaning that the unit will look as if it's switched off when in fact the full voltage is across it."

"With the limitation of a 10kV transformer I found that the gap was too critical and I designed the Gabriel electrode to solve the problem. It allows the gap to be much wider than normal, but allows the ionisation of the air via two 1 Megohm resistors that make the middle electrode into a semi desireable path for the arc. When the unit is starting an arc it initially jumps over between the middle electrode and the opposing electrode which ionises the air and then pulls the current limited voltage down on the middle electrode. The arc then jumps across the remainder of the gap. It works very well."
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: