Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Molex connector crimps.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Thomas W
Tue Oct 28 2014, 10:19PM Print
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
A while back brought a load of these:
Link2

and a load of these:
Link2

For some reason no matter what i do, the pins won't stay in the plastic shell, its likey they won't go far enough in. and im not sure what ones i should be using with them ,even though they look like the right ones. Can anyone help me with this please?
Thanks,
Thomas

P.S. any good crimping tools that don't cost an arm an a leg.... £300... SERIOUSLY?
Dr. Slack
Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:25PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
They look like they're the matching parts, the 'use with's match, and yes, the correct crimp tools do cost an arm and a leg. However, what I've found with a similar terminal system, and may be your problem with this set, is that if you don't use the right crimp tool, the metal leaves that don't get crunched down the right amount get in the way of the little retention barbs that secure the terminals in the mouldings. That doesn't mean you have to buy the right crimp tool, but it does mean that you have to look at the mechanics very carefully, and figure out what should be where, and what you have to do to make it so. In my case, I found that the crimp leaves could be left in their 'as supplied' position, as long as I didn't use excess solder to attach the wire to where it would normally crimp. With a different system, YMMV.
Thomas W
Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:33PM
Hmm, i given it a go, bending them in different ways. However it seems like the pin doesn't go in correctly, like the back tab that holds it in gets bent and does not return. It also looks like the pin won't go as deep into the connector as it should, like it gets stuck. Even if i cut the tabs off it still happens.
Dr. Slack
Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:50PM
Yeah, sounds like evidence of not using the right crimp tool. These bent metal systems, it's a wonder they work at all, they truly are a wonder of value engineering. The bending and moulding tolerances mean that a single thou can be the difference between them working and not. The right crimp tool usually has a rachet thing that means they can't be released until the full compression cycle has happened, meaning that the terminal can't be removed until it meets its finished size tolerance. Persist with trying to figure out what is stopping it working. Section a housing with a scalpel so you can see the insides as the terminal goes in. It may help if you can get an already crimped terminal to see what it should look like, and where it catches.
Thomas W
Wed Oct 29 2014, 12:29AM
Think i might just go with a different connector. these things are crap. I actually like IDE connectors more. or just buy pre-made wires.

Its stupid how bad these kind of connectors are really.
2Spoons
Wed Oct 29 2014, 01:01AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Actually they work really well if you use the proper crimp tool and the correct wire gauge

A properly made crimp should outperform a solder joint. It is gas tight, and has an integral strain relief (crimp on insulation).

Yes the tools are horribly expensive - because the dies are precision engineered to create the right force and shape for a specific crimp pin, and because they don't sell many.

Sometimes i've fixed retention problems by bending the little catch tab out a little further.
Thomas W
Wed Oct 29 2014, 01:14AM
Thing is, i have been bending and reforming the metal on the connector. no matter what i do... it doesn't seem to fit :|

I think 6-10 pin IDE connectors are much better. quite cheap too
Dr. Slack
Wed Oct 29 2014, 08:52AM
Thomas W wrote ...

Think i might just go with a different connector. these things are crap. I actually like IDE connectors more. or just buy pre-made wires.

Its stupid how bad these kind of connectors are really.

Think very carefully what you are saying. These 'crap' connectors sell billions of units, and they have been value engineered to be made for pennies, but are able to be assembled by unskilled people with a very high success rate, when using the specified tools.

Bear in mind the crimp tool may not just be making the wire crimp portion, but may also be deforming the rest of the terminal into the final shape required for the housing. What you have bought may be raw material to be finished into terminals by the crimp tool.

The connectors aren't stupid. It's stupid how you try to use stuff the way it wasn't intended, and then lash out at the stuff, rather than having the humility to look for and learn the lesson from the experience.

If you have a favourite connector, that you get on with, then I think using that is a good plan.
Sulaiman
Wed Oct 29 2014, 10:20AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I can confirm that when used with the correct crimping tool, Molex KK series are ok
(I prefer round pin connectors myself)
you may be flattening the part that crimps the conductors
when flat it will block the pin from entering the housing.

Without the correct crimping tool you will need to solder the wire
. using pliers squeeze the tabs around the conductors, first from both sides then 'wrap' the tabs over the conductors, do not close the part for the insulation
. Solder the wire in place
. when cooler squeeze the back part around the insulation
should be ok.
mbd
Wed Oct 29 2014, 01:05PM
mbd Registered Member #43278 Joined: Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:18AM
Having introduced myself to the 'art' of pinball maintenance in the last couple of years, I have managed to acquire some small skills in crimping various connectors.

I would like to echo the various comments above - a properly crimped KK connector is a fine thing.

My question is: what crimper are you using? Can you please post a photo? If you are using an ultra-cheap crimper, I don't think you have a chance of getting the crimp done correctly. (I know I never could.)

BTW you should be able to get an adequate crimper for less than USD50.

MBD

PS The general consensus among the pinball crowd is that IDC connectors are to be avoided. But then again, the pinball crowd is after longevity and reliability and maybe your application is not nearly so demanding.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: