Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need Help : Hydrogen Tank, Molar Quantity.

Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Thu May 01 2014, 05:54AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
If you look at elecric fans designed to move high volumes of air efficiently
they use as much blade area as possible

Aircraft use thin blades for a couple of reasons;
. engines are more efficient at higher rpm
. gearboxes loose power
. high speed airflow is required for high speed flight

the vertical airspeed of a 'copter is almost zero

I still think that you should try fan blades like those used in domestic free standing fans
with ducting/cowling.

This would however require a gearbox to use high efficiency (power/weight) motors.

Side note;
if the 'copter is meant to be used in hazardous areas it should itself not be a hazard,
a tri-copter or even quad-copter will probably crash if one fan fails for any reason;
a hex-copter can compensate for the loss of one fan.

So, I think that you need six or more large low speed ducted fans for this purpose.
or two really large fans, somewhat like a heavy lift helicopter
Patrick
Thu May 01 2014, 06:09AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

If you look at elecric fans designed to move high volumes of air efficiently
they use as much blade area as possible

Aircraft use thin blades for a couple of reasons;
. engines are more efficient at higher rpm
. gearboxes loose power
. high speed airflow is required for high speed flight

the vertical airspeed of a 'copter is almost zero

I still think that you should try fan blades like those used in domestic free standing fans
with ducting/cowling.

This would however require a gearbox to use high efficiency (power/weight) motors.

Side note;
if the 'copter is meant to be used in hazardous areas it should itself not be a hazard,
a tri-copter or even quad-copter will probably crash if one fan fails for any reason;
a hex-copter can compensate for the loss of one fan.

So, I think that you need six or more large low speed ducted fans for this purpose.
or two really large fans, somewhat like a heavy lift helicopter
some of the ultra light or small quads use a reduction gear from motor to prop. I think for the reasons you site.

All the props, including those for supposed multirotors, seem to be mostly fast velocity fixed wing propellers slightly modified.

I wonder if the under-cambered props of small helos, would entrain more air at a lower velocity. Adding a wide blade chord, as c Sulaiman suggests, would all drive this new prop towards the ideal for hovering purposes.
Conundrum
Thu May 01 2014, 07:28AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Yup, MFCs would probably work if the efficiencies were a bit higher.
Also why stop at methanol, simple methane would probably work at least somewhat and is easy enough to store as a liquid.
-A
Ash Small
Thu May 01 2014, 09:26AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
The questions regarding higher RPM and greater pitch are connected. Greater diameter, lower RPM and lower pitch is more efficient than smaller diameter, higher RPM and higher pitch.

We haver discussed this before, all the losses are at the interface of the fast moving, accelerated air and the 'static' air surrounding the craft.

EDIT: Also, one large prop is more efficient than six small ones. It's a 'surface area' divided by 'circumferance' thing.

Also, I don't think 'slip' is really a factor here, as it doesn't really contribute to efficiency. I can ellaborate if required. (Having said that, greater pitch is more 'lossy' than finer pitch, all other factors being equal)
Steve Conner
Thu May 01 2014, 10:14AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Don't underestimate the size and weight of the support equipment needed to make a fuel cell work. Pumps and the like.

Hydrogen has a poor energy density by volume, and compressed hydrogen has a poor energy density by weight when the weight of the pressure vessel is taken into account. The metal hydride storage tank is a recent invention that might be relevant: Link2 BMW briefly experimented with it as a fuel tank for hydrogen-powered cars.
Patrick
Thu May 01 2014, 03:16PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Don't underestimate the size and weight of the support equipment needed to make a fuel cell work. Pumps and the like.

Hydrogen has a poor energy density by volume, and compressed hydrogen has a poor energy density by weight when the weight of the pressure vessel is taken into account. The metal hydride storage tank is a recent invention that might be relevant: Link2 BMW briefly experimented with it as a fuel tank for hydrogen-powered cars.

I looked at the hydride 3.2Mpa storage of H. It came out to 90g hydride for 15g of H. Link2

As you said, tankage, valves and such add up. I wasn't surprised by re high mass low power of thy 1kw unit, but 18,000 dollars for a PEM fuel cell, was shocking. Even with platinum present, that's freaking high.

This is a 200w version note the graph, and note-the note "not for VTOL use" : Link2

But all these companies and Darryl Hannah say it's so easy, just plug them in and it'll all work.

Once the solid oxide FCs get going in 15+ years, I think these PEM FC's will be doomed, for fixed locations.

Patrick
Thu May 08 2014, 04:03AM
A mouse whispers in my ear : Aqueous sodium borohydride, for STP storage of hydrogen. And a small reactor for the evolution of H2.

1kw with all the bells and whistles, for a mere 20k$ for a single evaluation unit. And 12k$/unit for a production run.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: