Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

nanotube doped epoxy for composite structures.

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:39PM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Does any one here know if companies like zyvex with their special nano epoxy, used in the F35, is really worth it?

I've been reading everything I can, (but I've seen Nasa / others spending tax payers dollars,.) Spend 100k US$ instead of 10k, all to gain just 3%.

Supposedly, they claim lighter, stiffer, stronger, but I don't know how they're qualifying all these claims. I don't know what value the T-Peel is.

Link2

Link2 here, the 3M product looks close in shear strength.

Link2

Ash Small
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:54PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
How do the prices compare? That will tell you if the extra performance is woth the extra cost.
Patrick
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:56PM
Ash Small wrote ...

How do the prices compare6? That will tell you if the extra performance is woth the extra cost.
To this end, I'm waiting for a reply to email...
AndrewM
Thu Apr 10 2014, 01:57PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
T-peel is the performance on an ASTM D1876 test. It applies to adhesives not to structural resins.

What you're not considering is the mass of the system - you may only gain 3% in shear strength (which is measured per unit area), but if the CNTs reduce the density of the resin by 50% then you can make a structure more than twice as strong per unit mass.
Patrick
Thu Apr 10 2014, 04:47PM
AndrewM wrote ...

T-peel is the performance on an ASTM D1876 test. It applies to adhesives not to structural resins.

What you're not considering is the mass of the system - you may only gain 3% in shear strength (which is measured per unit area), but if the CNTs reduce the density of the resin by 50% then you can make a structure more than twice as strong per unit mass.
excellent, hence me asking those of you who point these matters out!

im wondering if they mean this epovex to be used to join panels already cured, thus the T-peel measure...
AndrewM
Fri Apr 11 2014, 01:25PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
Patrick wrote ...

im wondering if they mean this epovex to be used to join panels already cured, thus the T-peel measure...

Yeah they're pretty clearly marketing that goop as a repair adhesive.

Repair and maintenance applications are an ideal segment for Zyvex to demonstrate the power of nanomaterial engineered products. With a bonding strength stronger than welding, Epovex® Adhesive allows our customers to rapidly repair and maintain their products with the confidence that the latest in materials technology is hard at work.

There really isn't anything innovative about throwing CNTs into epoxy - everyone does this, its hard to make a name brand product out of something that industry already mixes up on their own by the ton. A better epoxy (for example with greater adhesion) would be an innovation (as they seem to have achieved), but also fairly irrelevant in a structural sense.
Patrick
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:27PM
Supposedly, CNTs are phobic to just about everything, polar or non. So, it seems these companies all come up with clever corona -like modding to increase wettability, similar to the low surface energy plastics.

I'm going to continue investigating the CNT epoxy, but I'm going to stick with conventional epoxies due to familiarity and favorable viscosity.

Look here:

-Max 1618 A/B epoxy, tensile shear strength = 2300 psi , viscosity = 250 cps
-635 thin with 4:1 hardener = 9 to 10,000 psi, viscosity = 600cps
-Max bond = tensile shear 3800 psi, viscosity = 5600cps
-epovex ?

It's mostly stiffness I need in my drone airframes, so I'm not sure if that's entirely a fiber/geometry controlled effect or if a high tensile measured epoxy will help.
so if evopex reduces density/mass (by at least 30%), then I could add more fiber cloth, yet keep the same mass overall. That would be a plus, as AndrewM has lead me to conclude...

1397246205 2431 FT1630 Duct6

1397246205 2431 FT1630 Duct2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: