Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Apple Ipad virus crashing/disabling my network?

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Nov 30 2013, 10:52AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Hate to say it but this might be the drive.
What sort is it, I have a few spares here.
Will ensure I test the drive(s) first, before sending to make sure you don't get another dud.

Re. dodgy drive, early CDROMs invariably wouldn't read even a CDRW unless they were writers to begin with.
Something about the optical path being optimised for read speed rather than writing, could also be poor power regulation of the laser.

-A

It's a Compaq laptop. Always been 'dodgy'. Won't even read DVD's half the time. I 'forked out' for a decent Phillips unit ~10 years ago for my desktop. It reads anything. I just have to figure out how to boot the laptop from a USB stick.
Wastrel
Sat Nov 30 2013, 01:27PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
It sounds to me like this is a USB compatibility problem between your wifi dongle and your IPad. I would be inclined to remove both sets of drivers and the product ID codes from the windows registry and then reinstall the dongle to see if it works. Scrubbing a driver can be a pain, once installed windows will automatically re-install drivers if it can.

I've had some odd stuff in the past, devices that would fail to function if my scanner was turned on, devices that would function once on a particular port and then only work on a new port until removed from the registry. My opinion of USB is that it is still not a mature technology. What the world needed was powered ethernet and what it was given was a half duplex half assed copy.
Ash Small
Sat Nov 30 2013, 01:50PM
Wastrel wrote ...

It sounds to me like this is a USB compatibility problem between your wifi dongle and your IPad. .

The Ipad worked fine for four months on the network. I'm pretty certain the virus got into the network via the Ipad, though.

I've still not finished erradicating the viruses from everything as I keep getting distracted with other jobs etc., but I'll update as I make progress. I just have lots of wires around the place again sad
Ash Small
Fri Dec 06 2013, 06:20PM
Well, the 3G dongle stopped working on the PC, and I couldn't re-load the drivers. It seemed like 'another program' was controlling the dongle.

I've replaced the hard drives with some that I wiped, and did a 'zero fill' on, all re-formatted and everything (I still have the old hard drives 'intact').

I've re-installed windows 98, then up-graded to XP service pack 3 (I just couldn't bring myself to spend £80 on Windows 7). (The whole lot went down half way through the 98 install, because 98 only supports 1Gb of RAM. Took me a while to figure that one out confused )

I've re-installed the 3G dongle drivers and now have internet connectivity on the PC again.

I've not yet re-installed the 'network drivers' as I want to install some more anti-virus stuff first, in case anything else on the network is still infected, or in case that Ipad re-infects the network next time it's here.

Any suggestions, apart from AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials?

EDIT: Also, it looks like the latest set of 'definitions', or whatever they're called, from security essentials has cleaned the adware that infected the laptop at the same time.
Conundrum
Sun Dec 08 2013, 11:13AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Contact Apple, maybe its a rogue update?

EDIT: Link2
Also there are known serious flaws in older routers, it seems they failed to include overrun protection on the early implementations of 802-11 N and this caused issues if newer phones and tablet PCs are used.
Carbon_Rod
Mon Dec 09 2013, 12:51AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Try Linux Mint (Ubuntu without the savvy slime) and a kvm virtual machine (define a uuid and nic's mac).
You'd be surprised how rarely you use the virtual machines, as apps like Solidworks are now Windows 7+ only.

XP & 98 are no longer secure, as Worms can reinfect the kernel from the transport layer before the updates complete.

kvm is fun, as you can forward USB devices to help migrate to open drivers, and more importantly the session can be archived since it can run off a disk image file. A dedicated core (usually one on a i7 quad chip) runs XP 32bit stuff just fine for most applications, and the OS/DRM is bound to the VM uuid/nic.

kvm also supports headless direct vnc connections:
Link2

EOL is EOL, lets now complain about MSDOS...
wink
Ash Small
Mon Dec 09 2013, 11:35AM
I'm going to try the network again under XP, but I'm seriously thibking of switching to Linux before August, when support for XP ends.

Either that or Windows 7, but I'll probably give either Zorin or Mint a go first.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: