Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV coupling caps: Got 'em!

Move Thread LAN_403
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Sept 04 2006, 04:35AM Print
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Well, they're here, but we're scratching our heads a bit. A fellow Seattle coiler and I picked these up from a local power company earlier in the week and got our first look at the internals today. They're not at all like what we expected! Still, they might be useful for something.

Here's a picture of one of them sitting next to my pole pig. Yes, it's the monstrous insulator-housed thing on the left that totally dwarfs the pig:
Cap

The actual numbers on the thing (the numbers in my prior post were third-, maybe fourth-hand) are .027uF at 115kV AC.

We popped the ends off my friend's cap and slid the guts out. The guts are a bunch of stacked plate caps stacked on top of each other:
Guts

Yes, that is some kitty litter on the cap. The salvage guys like to throw it all over stuff they drain the oil from.

Not sure how many individual caps there actually are, since we haven't spent much time studying the wiring. Question is: Will they be any good for anything but their intended purpose? There's certainly enough of a voltage rating there for a TC (especially since the rating is in kV *AC*), but how about current? In service, these things would have to be able to tolerate a few near-short circuits every now and then due to surge arrestor operation, but...

Shortly after picking these up from the salvage yard, I got a call from the crew chief begging us to take the remaining four of these. He offered me all four for a total of $100! That's $25 each! amazed I really wish I had room for them. My friend is trying to figure out some way to buy them (some place to put them, actually), if for no other reason than they look really cool and are bound to be useful for something. Guess we'll find out! The remaining four haven't been de-oiled yet. If we buy the remaining oiled ones, we may just have to throw one straight into a coil and run it until it croaks (or for some really long period of time...whichever is shorter smile)

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
ragnar
Mon Sept 04 2006, 06:02AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Awesome news, Aaron! Grab 'em whilst you can, I say!

Can't wait to see how well they [mis?]behave when you get some volts onto them... either way, free caps and oily/insulator housings are good caps and insulator/housings! =-D
Electroholic
Mon Sept 04 2006, 10:15AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
aLink2 no lil doorknobs?

plates... N2 TEA?
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:43PM
If the caps work, we'll be transplanting them into much lighter PVC tubes. I'm going to reuse the ceramic body for an oil-immersed secondary. Yes, yes, I'm sure it's relatively pointless, but seems "cool" smile Say "no" to racing sparks (the HARD way), hehehe...
FaLLoUT
Wed Sept 06 2006, 07:28AM
FaLLoUT Registered Member #241 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:13PM
get them all and sell them to me for 50 each :) Where is this place???
Bored Chemist
Wed Sept 06 2006, 05:43PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Give some serious thought to buying them and, if you really can't find space, putting them on Ebay.
For the sort of profit I think you could make I would put them in my bed and sleep on the floor for a week or soif I didn't have any other options. (Of course, I'm not really that stupid- the caps would go on the floor- but I'm sure you see my point.)
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Sept 06 2006, 08:35PM
We (actually my friend) purchased the remaining four. Four more were attached to potential transformers, but they didn't want us taking them apart. Would have been cool to get one of those, but they were simply too big. The nice thing about the ones attached to the PTs is that they have the tap point for the voltage divider. Oh well...

I doubt if anybody could be bothered to ship one of these beasts! They are as heavy as they look! While they were declared working at the time of sale, they were formally retired from service, so it's not like anybody is going to be paying big $$ for these and trying to use them for their intended purpose again.

The place is City Light in Seattle, our beloved local utility and source of many HV goodies.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: