Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

size difference of N2 vs O2

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Fri Jun 14 2013, 03:05PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
It is often mistakenly assumed that "molecular size" correlates directly with "molecular weight". O2 does have a greater
molecular weight (32) than N2 (28), but O2 is actually smaller in size. Thus, O2 fits through the relatively tight passage
ways between polymer chains in the rubber more easily than does N2. The difference is size between O2 and N2 is
very small, only about 0.3 times 10 to the -10th meters (0.00000000003 meters).

The above text is something I recently read. I am preparing to make a PSA. Why is the O2 molecule smaller than the N2 molecule if its atomic weight is bigger? Is it that the electron shell is still not filled, so we don't have a larger shell surrounding the atom? Does having two more protons cause a slightly tighter attraction with the electrons?
Fraggle
Fri Jun 14 2013, 06:02PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Chemistry not my area but remember there`s not really a `shell` there, that`s just a way to visualise the eigenstates of the electrons. The `size` of an atom is the extent of its interactions with other atoms and can`t really be derived by using weight alone as it is down to electromagnetic interactions between instantaneously fluctuating dipoles and stuff.

Reading: Van der Waal`s interaction, Van der Waal volume, Van der Waal equation of state and covalent bond length (if you don`t like spherical cows).
IamSmooth
Fri Jun 14 2013, 08:26PM
Fraggle wrote ...

it is down to electromagnetic interactions between instantaneously fluctuating dipoles and stuff.

I understand that part. I was hoping there was a more concrete explaination as to what is phyically happening, unless this is not truly known.
Fraggle
Sat Jun 15 2013, 02:06AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
I`m afraid I can`t answer that properly, I don`t understand it fully. Sorry.
Dr. Slack
Sat Jun 15 2013, 10:07AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
'Size' is a concept that's only really meaningful at large scales, just like trying to figure out what the 'pressure' or 'temperature' of a gas is when you focus down on individual molecules. When you try to nail down what size means, for instance when the coupling between adjacent electron orbitals switches from attractive to repulsive, then you are deep into quantum mechanics. You must start asking questions like 'if I put the particles into this configuration, how do they behave?' If you choose to model that behaviour as a pore size and a molecule size, then the parameters you use in that model must be informed by what the particles actually are observed to do. That a substrate could appear to have smaller pores for a molecule with one set of orbitals than another is perhaps no great surprise.
Mari
Sun Jul 21 2013, 04:39PM
Mari Registered Member #19991 Joined: Sat May 25 2013, 11:21PM
It's because there is more protons in oxygen(8) than in nitrogen(7). This larger positive charge of the oxygen attracts the electron cloud and makes it smaller than the nitrogen. Sodium has even more protons but it's larger because of the shielding effect of a complete sub shell + 1 electron.
radiotech
Mon Jul 22 2013, 07:50AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Not chemistry, but I have worked in a facility that separated nitrogen from air to make
an oxygen pure enough for a bio reactor cleaning water. Te size of the molecule through
the membrane (blown with large fans) separates the gases

Essentially two huge motors, controls, instrumentation, computer.

The process is called Praxair :

Link2
Ash Small
Mon Jul 22 2013, 10:30AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
radiotech wrote ...

Not chemistry, but I have worked in a facility that separated nitrogen from air to make
an oxygen pure enough for a bio reactor cleaning water. Te size of the molecule through
the membrane (blown with large fans) separates the gases

Essentially two huge motors, controls, instrumentation, computer.

The process is called Praxair :

Link2

Zeolites can also be used for this purpose: Link2
IamSmooth
Tue Jul 23 2013, 10:04PM
I'm building a large-scale PSA nitrogen generator. I'll post pictures and text when it is done.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: