Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Trying to measure spark gaps mA current?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ken Williams
Wed Jun 05 2013, 04:33AM Print
Ken Williams Registered Member #8247 Joined: Thu Nov 22 2012, 03:14AM
Hello, I have a spark gap in the attached image. I would like to measure the current for it. I guess the voltage is probably 10-30KV and the frequency might be 120Hz. I expect the current to be in the low mA's such as 4 mA.

My question is can I use one of these precision clamp on meters to measure this current? For example something like this:
Link2

They say they have a resolution in the uA's. Can I just clamp that over one of the leads to get a current reading or does the high voltage stop my idea cold?

Thanks for any help.

1370406784 8247 FT0 Spark
The Lightning Stalker
Wed Jun 05 2013, 07:56AM
The Lightning Stalker Registered Member #4230 Joined: Sat Nov 26 2011, 05:50AM
Yes, that should work well at those frequencies.
Avalanche
Wed Jun 05 2013, 11:57AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I don't think you'll see anything with a standard clamp meter. Even though the repetition frequency of the spark is low at 120Hz, the risetime of the spark will be very high and the duration of it will be very low, so you'll need something with bandwidth into the Mhz range to get an accurate measurement.

A Rogowski coil with integrator is what you need to view high bandwidth current waveforms on a scope - but they are not cheap to buy. However I'd say they are definitely something which you could home brew. Here's a idea of what's available, we have one at work that goes upto 17Mhz and it cost about £700 I think Link2

The biggest problem with a home brew setup would be getting the accuracy/scaling right, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try!

Got me thinking now...Another idea would be to put a low value shunt resistor in series with the spark gap, and then use precision op-amp circuits to capture the peak, average or even RMS values of the voltage across the shunt. Then convert these readings into currents.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jun 05 2013, 01:47PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yes, for a spark gap current, you really will need a high bandwidth current probe. The spark rise / fall times and durations are just too fast / short to be seen with a standard clamp-on current probe.

Also, if you are discharging a lot of capacitance in the spark gap, then you'd need a pretty large clamp on probe. Even the small and expensive high bandwidth Tektronic current probes would likely be damaged with the high peak currents you would see with a capactiator discharge application.
Patrick
Wed Jun 05 2013, 04:45PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
since the current is the same everywhere in a series circuit, you would obvioulsey measure the current on the low side with a resistor then you could use a instrumentation amplifier with high bandwidth and optical or capacitive isolation to reject noise and false coupled measurements. you could build a half way decent device for 40 to 70 US$. magnetic steel just wont work fast enough.
Ken Williams
Wed Jun 05 2013, 06:34PM
I know I can do the shunt resistor thing but I'm lost with that half the time. I was hoping a precision clamp meter might still do it. I've attached a few screenshots of how and what ends up going into the high voltage transformer. About 1000V @ 100Hz ends up going into it. The transformer is suppose to be a 120Kv transformer but thats when a full 2000V is going into it. So its probably more like 35Kv if I had to guess.

The two scope screenshots essentially show the same thing, this is a measurement across the .33uF cap or Gas Discharge Tube that shows this. Based on the screenshots does anyone think a more simple solution for measuring the current either going into or out of the high voltage transformer can be accomplished with a clamp on meter still?

Thank for any continued help.

1370457236 8247 FT154638 Scope1

1370457236 8247 FT154638 Scope2

1370457236 8247 FT154638 Circuit
Ken Williams
Wed Jun 05 2013, 06:45PM
The Lightning Stalker wrote ...

Yes, that should work well at those frequencies.

What about at those voltages? That clamp on meter seems to be limited to 600V, does anyone know if that limit applies when measuring current too? I would not even be able to measure the current going into the high voltage transformer, never mind what comes out.
Steve Conner
Wed Jun 05 2013, 09:56PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
What is your goal? There are a bazillion different ways of measuring current. RMS, average, rectified average and so on. The choice of transducer depends on what you're measuring. Tell us about what you are trying to do.
Ken Williams
Wed Jun 05 2013, 10:33PM
The electricity going into the high voltage transformer is stepped up from ~1000V @ ?mA to probably 35Kv @ ?mA. I need to know the ?. I simply need accuracy which is difficult when working with high voltages. So I would like to measure the 1000V sawtooth pattern's (as shown in the above screenshot) current going into the transformer, and the current coming out after it is stepped down (because the voltage is stepped up).

I'm an amateur which is why I'm lost half the time. If there is anything else you'd like to know please ask. I just have difficultly measuring current at these voltage levels hence my interest in the precision clamp meters for measuring leakage. I thought it might work for something like this and was looking for confirmation.
klugesmith
Thu Jun 06 2013, 12:46AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
It sounds like you want to measure the DC (average) current in the spark gap circuit.

[edit] Welcome to 4hv, Ken. Now I see your schematic.
Nice circuit you got there. Has a lot in common with spark gap Tesla coils.
You can figure the average current in T2 primary by multiplying the charge swing on C3 (in coulombs) by the charge/discharge frequency. Since there's DC current in T2 primary winding, we can't rule out DC current in its secondary winding. [\edit]

Measuring average current is easier than trying to get high bandwidth pictures of spark currents, which are very brief , very high, and could be oscillatory.

The clamp-on meter you cited doesn't read DC current. It will attempt to give the RMS value of the AC component (within some frequency range) of spiky spark current. Is that what you want? Let's hope it's internally protected against current spikes orders of magnitude higher than the measurement range.

Putting an ordinary multimeter in series with the circuit is likely to fry the meter,
as I can attest. smile A filter could fix that if you know what you are doing.

Can your spark gap work with one electrode grounded?
If so, then I would ground it through a current sensing resistor (10 or 100 ohms?) in parallel with a capacitor, such that R * C > 100 ms. Then measure DC voltage across the R. If voltage spikes are still present on that node, due to the capacitor's ESR and ESL, you could add a second filter stage using higher R values (to both ends of the new capacitor?) and, perhaps, lower C values.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: