Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Slowing Down Projectile?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
lauriethepigeon
Wed Jan 23 2013, 02:08PM Print
lauriethepigeon Registered Member #7669 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2012, 02:55PM
I am building my test rig for a 3 stage coilgun, with theoretical speeds of 5-30m/s with 1-5g armatures.

Since this is for an academic project, I have to keep it safe, and ideally I wouldn't let the armature leave the tube if I could help it. I have integrated optical speed measurement which is attached around the clear tube, but at the end of the tube I need to slow / stop the armature in a controlled manner.

Has anybody investigated methods of slowing / capturing their projectiles? I was going to just shoot into a block of expanded polystyrene or something for now, but there must be a better way of doing it? I will be doing hundreds of test shots with different parameters, so emphasis is on being able to easily recover the armature after the shot (having to dig it out of a block of oasis foam with a pair of pliers every time would soon become tedious)

I did look at pellet traps used for air gun shooting but there is too much potential for it to ricochet out.

I also considered something like a round electrical junction box, where the tube shoots straight into the junction box and the armature rattles around inside and stops, then I can open the lid and take it out.

Perhaps eddy current braking could be used somehow?

DerAlbi
Wed Jan 23 2013, 02:26PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
You are talking about 2.25 (lets say 3) Joules of energy here :-/ Just put hard plastic bottle over the barrel ending and catch it. With 2.25 joule there is no real danger to anyone... not even to the bottle.

Maybe you could fill the bottom of the bottle with something hard... like glue?
lauriethepigeon
Wed Jan 23 2013, 02:42PM
Yes, there will be 37J in the capacitors, assume 1-2% efficiency, that's 0.4-0.7J KE which is even less.

A bottle is the sort of thing I am going for, but I would like it a bit neater, maybe I will buy a project box with a hinged lid or something, perhaps I could put it on an incline so the armature will roll down to the bottom and drop out of a slot?
Maxwell
Wed Jan 23 2013, 04:22PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
I'm with DerAlbi. 1J of KE is like flicking a pencil with your finger. It moves a little but even if the sharp end hits your hand, it's not going to hurt.

Cut up an old t-shirt and make a soft pillow for the armature to impact with.
ZakWolf
Wed Jan 23 2013, 06:01PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
magnets on the end of the barrel to slow and stop the projectle ? my two cents
Yandersen
Thu Jan 24 2013, 04:12AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
I used my dad's old trousers to stop 10J projectile flying at 54m/s. Looks like the only thing those trousers ever missed to stop is my dad's farts...
lauriethepigeon
Thu Jan 24 2013, 09:56AM
Maxwell wrote ...

I'm with DerAlbi. 1J of KE is like flicking a pencil with your finger. It moves a little but even if the sharp end hits your hand, it's not going to hurt.

Cut up an old t-shirt and make a soft pillow for the armature to impact with.

I shot my hand with a 0.07J KE CG (pointed end), and it did hurt. Didn't break the skin, but it left a little dent.
Maxwell
Thu Jan 24 2013, 03:48PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
0.07J!?!??!

With no ill intent - I don't believe you're accurately measuring the velocity or mass of your armature.

Please re-run some simple kinematic equations.

Dropping a 10g pen from 1m would result in >0.07J KE...Unless you sharpen the end to a needle point - it does not hurt.
MrFlatox
Thu Jan 24 2013, 04:56PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
Fire a 1J airsoft gun in your hand, it hurts.
Dr. Slack
Thu Jan 24 2013, 05:53PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Attach a length of oversized, not too flexible plastic pipe to the end of your barrel. Or maybe if plastic proves to be too soft, some copper tube. The internal diameter must be comfortably larger than the projectile diameter, but much smaller than its length.

The projectile will glance off the inside repeatedly, slowing down as it rattles its way along. If the launcher is on a table, then I have a feeling that a few feet of pipe would be more than enough to tame it, and just long enough to take it down to the floor where it would drop into a metal cup with a satisfying clunk. You need to have the brake tube turning downwards, as if the projectile runs out of energy half-way down, you want it to fall the rest of the way
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: