Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Optical trigger Tuning

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Mon Feb 04 2013, 04:57AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
DerAlbi wrote ...

If you discharge your Caps, you basically short circuit them. So you take your drawing and wipeout the Caps and replace it with a "wire".
Can you imagine where the current flows? Can any of your Charger-Sources deliver more than 1A if the Caps are shorted? If yes.... well.... wink

You have successfully "disconnected" the caps from each other, so one will not recharge the other. However you have not disconnected the charger circuit. E.g. is you have the Mains connected to the Bridgerectifier.... well... ouch^^
This would take a SCR, Mosfet, Transistor or IGBT at the common ground-connection at the caps. I would recommend the SCR - you switch your charger on, fire the SCR and it shuts off automatically after the caps are charged...

There is no mains involved i will draw up a better schematic i was in a hurry
ZakWolf
Mon Feb 04 2013, 05:54AM
This is a little more detailed. Everything used to work but then i started to burn up my diodes that were separating the banks, I have draw up a pcb and I am going to continue making this thing unless anyone sees a problem in that schematic.

I will post everything when its done in the projects section, it should turn out very nice
1359957235 3114 FT149394 005
Yandersen
Mon Feb 04 2013, 06:19AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
OK, mistakes are found. As there are no diodes antiparallel to coils, then your caps are get repolarized temporarily during the shot. When voltage inverts, unlimited current goes through the diode of the repolarized cap, bridge and secondary of the transformer. The weakiest part is probably the diode burned.
The second mistake is a voltage control. You measure the voltage before the diodes separating caps from the charger - so basicly, it is just a peak value of the charging pulse, not the stationary voltage over the caps - when charging pulse is over, voltage control will read the wrong value (below the actual cap's voltage). The correct way is to control the voltage over one of the caps. I do it with the following chain:
{zener-zener-zener...}-resistor1K- optocoupler_diode-protection_diode
and connect it to one of the caps. The transistor output of the optocoupler is open when voltage on the caps is at the desired level. Zeners precisely define the voltage value. Protection diode prevents current flow in the repolarized cap's state.
ZakWolf
Mon Feb 04 2013, 03:09PM
Yandersen wrote ...

OK, mistakes are found. As there are no diodes antiparallel to coils, then your caps are get repolarized temporarily during the shot. When voltage inverts, unlimited current goes through the diode of the repolarized cap, bridge and secondary of the transformer. The weakiest part is probably the diode burned.
The second mistake is a voltage control. You measure the voltage before the diodes separating caps from the charger - so basicly, it is just a peak value of the charging pulse, not the stationary voltage over the caps - when charging pulse is over, voltage control will read the wrong value (below the actual cap's voltage). The correct way is to control the voltage over one of the caps. I do it with the following chain:
{zener-zener-zener...}-resistor1K- optocoupler_diode-protection_diode
and connect it to one of the caps. The transistor output of the optocoupler is open when voltage on the caps is at the desired level. Zeners precisely define the voltage value. Protection diode prevents current flow in the repolarized cap's state.

Thanks Yandersen could you help me once again by drawing a simple schematic, i have a hard time turning words into a design/picture. So you have 3 zeners in series connected to a 1k resistor going to one cap and the voltage regulator?
Yandersen
Mon Feb 04 2013, 05:33PM
Here is the output of the charger I use in my recoup design:
1359999201 6944 FT149394 Charger Output

The circle separates parts located on the charger board. Charger must be stopped immidiately before the shot, MOSFET' gate grounded, and only after that shot should be performed. After the shot there must be no negative voltage left in any of the caps. If this is ensured, than open MOSFET, then start the charger.
It is assumed that HV+ is the positive exit of your diode bridge, Common GND is the negative one.
Yandersen
Mon Feb 04 2013, 05:45PM
As an example of voltage ctrl part usage, here is the simplified schematic of my flyback charger (no output mosfet ctrl circuit shown):

The DZ1 is actually 4 zeners in series (200V+200V+200V+180V) giving me around 780V level.
ZakWolf
Mon Feb 04 2013, 06:25PM
Yandersen wrote ...

As an example of voltage ctrl part usage, here is the simplified schematic of my flyback charger (no output mosfet ctrl circuit shown):

The DZ1 is actually 4 zeners in series (200V+200V+200V+180V) giving me around 780V level.

First off thanks for the feedback; I must say though I am confused. So i should disconnect my charging circuit form the cap bank even though its protected by the uf4007's going to each cap... It was working perfect but then there was a weird short and some sparks, everything still functioned but the diodes kept dying one after the other after each shot... O.o
Yandersen
Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:25AM
Do you actually read my feedback?.. During the shot cap get REPOLARIZED - voltage inverted. Follow the current path and please, understand WHY it blows your diodes. When cap got repolarized (which is bad for cap!) unlimited current flows through the secondary of your transformer, bridge and the diode separating that cap from the others. So before the shot, charger must be switched off, then disconnected, and only after that shot can be safely performed. Jeezz...

Let's make it simple. Put a powerfull diodes antiparallel to your coils and forget about all those problems. At least your caps will live longer.
ZakWolf
Tue Feb 05 2013, 04:04AM
Yandersen wrote ...

Do you actually read my feedback?.. During the shot cap get REPOLARIZED - voltage inverted. Follow the current path and please, understand WHY it blows your diodes. When cap got repolarized (which is bad for cap!) unlimited current flows through the secondary of your transformer, bridge and the diode separating that cap from the others. So before the shot, charger must be switched off, then disconnected, and only after that shot can be safely performed. Jeezz...

Let's make it simple. Put a powerfull diodes antiparallel to your coils and forget about all those problems. At least your caps will live longer.
If im upsetting you by asking questions on a form made for advanced and introductory questions feel free not to respond to any of them, i still appreciate the feed back once again, i hope you check out the finalized version...
Yandersen
Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:01PM
Let's concentrate on topic instead of feelings as we are not the girls. :)
As your caps are polar, they don't like repolarization - life time shortens, parameters quickly degrade. Antiparallel diode protects caps from that process, but slightly degrades the performance of the shot - unused energy slows down the projectile instead of dissolving electrodes of your cap. I'm against monkey-designs, you know, but I even more unhappy if I see kamikaze design of cap-killers.
So after all, just put powerfull diodes antiparallel to your caps unless you are going to try non-polar ones.
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: