All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ferric Chloride

Move Thread LAN_403
Njubster
Wed Dec 26 2012, 10:31AM Print
Njubster Registered Member #6857 Joined: Sat Sept 22 2012, 08:25AM
I have few questions regarding it's usage, lifetime, toxicity and disposal. I am not interested in chemistry part, only the practical part, so I hope this thread is still on the right place.

So, I read somewhere that when copper is dissolved in FeCl3, when the etching process is completed what remains is FeCl2 + CuCl2 + some more FeCl3. Does FeCl2 works like FeCl3? Will it etch my boards? I used my solution multiple times, how long will it work?

I used gloves when working with it. Is that enough? Are there any toxic vapors? How toxic is it exactly? Will it burn my skin or something? Just curious about this part.

I have a plastic box full of it on my balcony, and now it's colored like copper after several uses. I noticed it does not work as fast as it used to work, and I'd like to get rid of it somehow without damaging the plums, nature or anything. What's the safest way to do that? I live in a building in a crowded town.

PS: Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance
Josh Campbell
Wed Dec 26 2012, 08:35PM
Josh Campbell Registered Member #5258 Joined: Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:15PM
As far as safety goes use glove and avoid prolonged skin contact or breathing vapors and you'll be ok. It is not a carcinogen, the most damage FeCl3 can do is a mild skin burn or raising iron levels in your blood if you had prolonged regular contact with it. Drinking it, especially after it has copper salts in it would be a bad idea.

Unused FeCl3 can be pored down the drain (once diluted) since the ferric has no serious environmental impact. However once it has been used to etch copper, the cupric chloride (copper salts) are extremely poisonous to fish and other aquatic life even in very small amounts. Used FeCl3 must be taken to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

FeCl3 lasts a long time, but as it becomes saturated it's effectiveness drops. You can simply add more FeCl3 to the used solution to keep it from becoming saturated if your tank is large enough. There are some reclamation ideas out there (some involving electrolysis which causes the copper to accumulate on the cathode) although I never considered them cost/time effective and have never used them.

I heat mine before use and use a ventilation fan to outdoors since the vapors are rather noxious (breath hot FeCl3 vapors once and you'll never do it again).

Material Safety Data Sheet - Ferric Chloride

There is also the H2O2/HCl option which is quite simple and low cost. I prefer FeCl3 though.
Njubster
Fri Jan 04 2013, 10:00PM
Njubster Registered Member #6857 Joined: Sat Sept 22 2012, 08:25AM
Thanks for your reply. Now I'm relieved, I was afraid I gave cancer to everyone in my house or something :D

But I wasn't able to find any info of such a facility in my town, and "cleaner's" website (don't know the word) has no information about disposing such things.

Could I just spill it in some hole in the ground and bury it?
Ash Small
Sat Jan 05 2013, 02:36PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Njubster wrote ...

Could I just spill it in some hole in the ground and bury it?

I'd try electrolysis first to remove the copper salts, then dilute it, and pour it down the sink.

Just 'dumping it' will poison the ground, and may seep into the water table.

You should be able to find information on electrolysis fairly easily.
ConKbot of Doom
Sat Jan 05 2013, 07:00PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Baking soda can make it foam up, neutralize, you can add water, let it settle, pour off the liquid down the drain, and the left over sludge contains the copper salts, which you can let dry out and store for disposal later. A 5 gallon bucket should be able to hold your dried out residue for quite a while, so you can make trips to a hazmat disposal place every decade or so :p

Disposing of it in the trash would be better then dumping it, as a landfill should have the water situation better controlled, but still not ideal.
Avalanche
Sat Jan 05 2013, 09:34PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've often noticed that if you leave used ferric chloride to settle, the 'brown stuff' will sink to the bottom, and the 'water' on top is green (i.e. copper) coloured. As I have almost no clue when it comes to chemistry, is the 'brown stuff' ferric chloride, and should I use it to mix up a new batch of ferric chloride?

As for disposing of the used stuff, just pour it down the sink, or chuck it outside - whatever makes you feel better. It's not even a drop in the ocean, and it will become dissolved anyway whatever you do smile There's nothing to worry about!
Bored Chemist
Sun Jan 06 2013, 01:54PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Avalanche wrote ...

is the 'brown stuff' ferric chloride, and should I use it to mix up a new batch of ferric chloride?

No.
It's mainly ferric hydroxide, and it wouldn't work.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: