Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil construciton: 80amp through 30aw wire?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 02:52AM
PlayNice Registered Member #8032 Joined: Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:22AM
Yea I could do that too, use one higher inductance coil then use low inductance coils on all the rest. I was thinking compressed air because modifying a bb gun will be easy and it will give the general shape for the whole gun.
Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 04:40AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
IGBT for reluctance coilgun?!?!
The push-force projectile experiences is proportional to the square of the current and speed of it's rize (which is proportional to the frequency of oscillations). Reluctance coilguns are purely LC oscillators, which are easily build on non-polar caps and bi-directional thyristors. For a little current IGBT can handle and a single pulse you will not be able to push a projectile out of the coil. But we will see, good luck. ;)
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 05:00AM
IGBT can handle 60amps and 160amps if pulses. If not IGBT then what would you use for switching? I don't have to use IGBTs I just though it was a good idea because they can produce a nice square wave. I'd love to hear your input
Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 05:34AM
"...easily build on non-polar caps and bi-directional thyristors." - who did just said that right above your post, huh?.. :)
klugesmith
Thu Dec 13 2012, 05:36AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
supak1 wrote ...

Yea I could do that too, use one higher inductance coil then use low inductance coils on all the rest. I was thinking compressed air because modifying a bb gun will be easy and it will give the general shape for the whole gun.
Uh, as maxwell said, why not use the air gun by itself and skip the coil?
IMHO, a pneumatic injector for a coilgun is like using a blowtorch to light a match, except perhaps for seriously big and expensive CG's.

80 amps in your 0.4 ohms of 30AWG wire represents a power of 2560 watts, not counting thermal increase in R. If you limit the pulse duration to 1 ms, that's 2.56 joules of heat to the coil. My unreviewed calculation says the wire temperature rise would be between 10 and 15 degrees C.

So at 10% efficiency, you would add only 1/4 J of energy to the projectile.

For reference, the UK allows unlicenced air guns up to muzzle energy of 12 ft-lbf (16 J).
What's the energy of your BB gun? Is it one of those Airsoft toys?
If you have compressed air, please consider:
A projectile area of 1 cm^2, at only 120 psig (8.2 bar), receives 83 newtons of force.
In 1 meter that could impart 83 joules of kinetic energy.

[edit]
Maxwell wrote ...
If you're looking down that road, you realistically should switch out from HV completely.
The major benefit of these CG's is that they are damn close to being silent ...,
Same goes for air guns designed for chamber pressure to match atmospheric pressure when projectile leaves the muzzle. Tuning for efficiency = tuning for quietness, as in my old CO2 mortar that used a pneumatically exploded soda bottle as propellant charge. Impressively quiet as it lofted a 16.5 lb concrete piston for more than 5 seconds. By scale & stopwatch, muzzle energy was > 2000 J.
Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 05:39AM
To make bi-dir thyristor conducting, wind two coils around a little ferrite ring transformer: one coil connects between the thyristor's cathode and gate, and on a second coil oscillating wave goes. While vibrating, thyristor will be constantly triggered (in a conductive state).
Turkey9
Thu Dec 13 2012, 07:07AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
IGBTs can be used very effectively if you don't want to use the LC time constant to determine the pulse length.

I would strongly advise against using such thin wire. You won't notice a difference in using a single layer as compared to two or three. Thicker wire will make the entire coilgun much more durable. You don't want to spend a lot of time building something only to have it break after a couple shots.
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 07:34AM
But whats the point of having the thyristor triggered by the oscillation? Shouldn't my opto-switch be triggering my thyristor so I can have the timing right and not have suck-back?
Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 11:40AM
There is no suckback in a reluctance coilgun - it pushes the projectile away from the coil, wherever it is, but with distance increased force is weakening.
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 08:20PM
The one that pushed the projectile is induction coilgun, I though reluctance coilgun pulls the projectile like this:

Link2
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: