Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil construciton: 80amp through 30aw wire?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
PlayNice
Tue Dec 11 2012, 10:31PM Print
PlayNice Registered Member #8032 Joined: Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:22AM
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I make a coil from a 30 gauge wire, about 40 turns, only about 4ft of wire. 4 ft of wire should have about .4 ohm resistance. I need to run pulses of 80amp 40v through it. Can the coil survive that much amps if I keep the coil at the rated temp, say below 120c?

Seems to me that 80 amps through 30aw wire is a lot but 40v / .4ohm seems to allow up to 100amps? Whats wrong with my calculations?

I need a coil that is 1 layer, 1cm wide, with a power supply of 40v 80a max and need to figure out the best geometry for the coil.

Thanks everyone
Barry
Wed Dec 12 2012, 12:41PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
supak1 wrote ...

What would happen if I make a coil from a 30 gauge wire, about 40 turns, only about 4ft of wire. 4 ft of wire should have about .4 ohm resistance. I need to run pulses of 80amp 40v through it. Can the coil survive that much amps if I keep the coil at the rated temp?

This is relatively large current for a very small wire. So first look at the wire's fuse limit: at high current density the wire will melt like a fuse.

This manufacturer's datasheet at www.hmwire.com says that 30 gauge wire will melt at 7.5 amps.

Barry
BigBad
Wed Dec 12 2012, 02:20PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
How long do you need it to carry the current for? It can do it, for a short time.

You can get the heat capacity for the metal of the wire, and plug in the energy, and calculate the heat rise.

Make sure you allow for the rise of resistance with temperature though. Also I think that hotspots can sometimes form, and then you can get thermal runaway, so it's a good idea to allow for some leeway.
PlayNice
Wed Dec 12 2012, 07:07PM
Fuses are exactly what I was thinking, didn't seem right that 80a would go through 30a wire.

Its not for long, coil would rise to 80a in 1 - .01ms. Problem I see is that I may need lots of HZ so. My coil will be very low inductance, goal is to make a very fast coil.

Metal is just pure copper with 200c shielding, I wish I know how to figure out the heat, is there a calculator? What do I search for?

BTW I am planing on coiling the coil with water, this experimental setup where I am going to have my coil sit in water, the actual coil rings/wire will be sitting in water for maximum surface area.
Yandersen
Wed Dec 12 2012, 09:35PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
OMG, it will handle it without a problem if it is a single spike. You are building a reluctance coilgun? The thicker the wire, the longer the current will oscillate in it. Just use 2mm copper stick if you are able to bend it.
PlayNice
Wed Dec 12 2012, 10:35PM
Yes building a reluctance coilgun. My projectile is 1cm so I want to make the length of the coil 1cm. I also want a really really fast coil, so only about 10-20uH and one layer. To get 10-20uH I need to have about 40 turns and to fit 40 turns in 1cm 1layer I need to use a 30aw wire.

Yandersen are you sure I can do quick 1ms or less pulses of 80a through 30aw wire? How many HZ could I run through such coil at 40V* 80a?

2mm wire is 12aw, I'll only get 5 turns with that, that is way too low of inductance.
Maxwell
Wed Dec 12 2012, 11:47PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
I'm with Yandersen on this one. A 1ms pulse of 80amps in 30AWG is no big deal. Although I have a feeling it'll be far less than 80 amps, and much more than 1ms.
Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 12:48AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Supak, didn't i told you about the spiral flat coils and flat projectiles for reluctance coilgun? Wanna try the most inefficient way to build the most inefficient type of coilguns (at such energies)? OK, go ahead. Maybe your projectile will move a little proving that your thing may "work"...
Your wire will sustain single pulse, not continuing series of those. Trying to plug your coil to the outlet, touching the wires for a little time, huh? It will burn. But be more aware about the soldering points - they may blow before the wire. Put drops of solder all around wires.
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 02:16AM
I didn't understand what you meant by "Just use 2mm copper stick"? Please explain. Thanks for the heads up on the soldering points, something I hadn't though about. I should be able to keep the pulse below 1ms. I'll be using IGBTs with a opto-switch for fast trigger times. Thinking about using compressed air to speed up the projectile to X speed and drop the amount of time the projectile is the the opto-switch to less then 1ms, and then the multi coils will speed it up more.
Maxwell
Thu Dec 13 2012, 02:30AM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
That's cheating ;)

Hybrid coils have been discussed before - electo-chemical, exploding wire, compressed air, spring-start, etc....

If you're looking down that road, you realistically should switch out from HV completely. The major benefit of these CG's is that they are damn close to being silent, relying purely on electro-magnetism.

Some people have done 'injector' coils which is essentially a small coil to accelerate the armature into the main coil.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: