Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Some progress on my MARX

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Mon Aug 14 2006, 06:40PM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Hey guys,
just so you don't think I have given up playing with high voltage alltogether, I got a few picures for you to laugh at:

Stress testing door-knobs

1155580496 75 FT0 Stress

yup, thats the output of my 100kV Cascade arcing across it. The gap is set at something like 7cm (3"), but the 30kV doorknob stood up fine. Closeup:
1155580553 75 FT0 Stress2

The results (not the voltage rating, but rather all the surface tracking across the caps) persuaded me to double up on caps in the prototype marx:

1155580653 75 FT0 Funk

This was probably a good idea, but not sufficient, since it now arcs over all over the place:

1155580631 75 FT0 Arc

Oh, btw, don't be fooled by the rather short sparks: The gaps are only set at only 2cm, but because of the smoothness of the spheres, they probably only arc over at 50kV or so.
Mon Aug 14 2006, 07:57PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
doh!

Looks like there is a reason that everyone builds marx'es with a lot of space between the stages...

Looks good otherwise tongue
McFluffin
Fri Aug 18 2006, 05:59AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
Look cool even if may need some work. Maybe you can dip it in laquer to stop the arching :) I was wondering, if you put a flouresent tube near this, does it light up like a coil would cause it to?
Wilson
Fri Aug 18 2006, 01:59PM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
i doubt whether it would, because a TC makes a sustained RF field, while this is just a single HVDC pulse discharge. Although I wonder what would happen if u hooked the outputs of the marx across a fluoro tube....
McFluffin
Sat Aug 19 2006, 07:16AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
BOOM! Thats what I'd think, but I really don't know a lot about Marx. I thought they pulsed rapidly like a TC does. Guess not. What are those brass ball things? They look nice.
I had an experience a while back where and LED exploded on me. Remembering that and then having a fairly large capacitor bank(~7kJ) I put the LED across it curoius what would happen, hit the button. It shorted out the LED and nothing happend(not even a flash). How dissapointing. So, what I am trying to say is, maybe nothing, but it would be worth a try.
williamn
Sat Aug 19 2006, 04:49PM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Have the marx dishcarge into a antenna.
Steve Ward
Sat Aug 19 2006, 05:34PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
What size are those resistors? Im running low in carbon comp stuff, so it would be nice to learn of a new source of resistors that would take HV pulses.

I recently made an inductively charged marx generator using magnetos as the inductors (even with the core removed they are 4H). This generator worked great with 15" discharges from 280kV ideal output. I then began trying my own inductors. I tried a 2.5"diameter x 3" winding of 36awg, which provides about 12mH. This seemed to work fine for 3 stages, but dang thats a lot of work winding those things. I then tried 1.2mH, but it didnt perform as well. I think i found my best spark for the 3 stage test unit using inductors (1.2mH) was 4", but with high meg resistors it hit 7", mainly limited by surface tracking across my temporary setup. But, the inductor marx banks do have the unique feature that the output is oscillating at many khz, and i *did* get small streamers to form (that is, sparks, but without ground connection). I was hoping to get it up to 100+ shots a second, but spark gap quenching is turning out to be a real pain. I guess i will return to this next summer.
SpyrosF
Sat Aug 19 2006, 07:28PM
SpyrosF Registered Member #352 Joined: Tue Mar 28 2006, 08:39AM

are you looking for emp ?
GimpyJoe
Sun Aug 20 2006, 09:17PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
williamn wrote ...

Thus killing your computers, and the computers of all your neighbors... If you want to do this, definetly make a faraday cage.
Marko
Sun Aug 20 2006, 09:24PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Considering I ran a DRSSTC meter away from open computer case and grounded to same mains 0 (no green wire) I think such and ''EMP'' is a hard way to go...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: