Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A whole bunch of questions about electromagnetic acceleration for the experts

Move Thread LAN_403
Bruhathkayo
Mon Sept 17 2012, 02:20PM Print
Bruhathkayo Registered Member #6571 Joined: Mon Sept 10 2012, 10:57PM
Could a railgun be used to accelerate conductive fluids like mercury or a eutectic of lead and bismuth?

I did some reading on magnetic refrigeration,
Link2

My reasoning is that if it's possible to keep the working material as a liquid inside of the machine, it might have some desirable properties. Won't jam, and fills the entire volume of container holding the material, flow diameter could possibly be adjusted. But if it's possible for it to exit the railgun as a solid through some method (magnetic refrigeration or something else) then it would have all of the desirable properties of a solid moving through air. Is this possible? What might happen if you run an electric current through the ejected stream?

I read a little here, Link2 and it seems that the viscosity increases if running an electric current through a conductive fluid. That may improve the properties the fluid has when traveling through air.

My other question is on plasma armatures and plasma stealth. Over here, Link2 it says that a plasma sheath around an object would improve its aerodynamics. Is it possible to combine that with the idea of a plasma armature so that the entire projectile is "coated" in plasma?

My final question is could an induction coilgun be used to accelerate projectiles made of lead or tungsten?

Thanks in advance.
Ben Solon
Tue Sept 18 2012, 02:43PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
not my area of expertise, but i'll add.

why refrigerate the fluid when you could just use the fluid to push a ceramic projectile? if you found a fluid with desirable parameganetic properties, then the fluid would keep in shape due to the massive em field in its own line. plus if you has a mix of lubricant in it then the projectile would only give minimal wear on the rails.

i don't know anything about plasma physics so nothing to add there. and the last thing is the liquid properties again. if you find a perfect paramagnetic fluid then all you're problems are solved
Ash Small
Tue Sept 18 2012, 03:02PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
ben123324 wrote ...

if you find a perfect paramagnetic fluid then all you're problems are solved

would ferrofluid be of any use here?

Link2
Forty
Tue Sept 18 2012, 03:24PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I don't think ferrofluid would be any good. or any ferromagnetic material actually. I have thought about using mercury or some other liquid metal that easily coats stuff to coat the rails and act like a lubricant, rail errosion resistance, more uniform conduction path, and possibly as a plasma armature as it is vaporized. of course most hobbyists wouldn't want to be vaporizing mercury anywhere near them.

and about the cooling of the liquid projectile as it leaves, assuming that it's still even a liquid and not a plasma, I don't think you could pull enough heat out of it in such a short distance/time frame to make it solid again.

I don't know much about aerodynamics of plasma sheaths.

an induction gun can theoretically accelerate any conductive, no ferromagnetic material. although if you want to shoot something more dense (as it sounds) then something like a copper casing or moving sled would probably be better to launch those less conductive materials like lead and tungsten.
Bruhathkayo
Tue Sept 18 2012, 08:08PM
Bruhathkayo Registered Member #6571 Joined: Mon Sept 10 2012, 10:57PM
ben123324 wrote ...

not my area of expertise, but i'll add.

why refrigerate the fluid when you could just use the fluid to push a ceramic projectile? if you found a fluid with desirable parameganetic properties, then the fluid would keep in shape due to the massive em field in its own line. plus if you has a mix of lubricant in it then the projectile would only give minimal wear on the rails.

i don't know anything about plasma physics so nothing to add there. and the last thing is the liquid properties again. if you find a perfect paramagnetic fluid then all you're problems are solved

That's a good point. I've thought about suspending lead pellets or something similar in the working fluid.

Would fluids work in a helical railgun?
Gomez
Wed May 08 2013, 10:18PM
Gomez Registered Member #2328 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 03:44AM
It's called an MHD pump.
lauriethepigeon
Fri May 17 2013, 11:22AM
lauriethepigeon Registered Member #7669 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2012, 02:55PM
LIMs are widely used in industry to 'pump' molten metals, so it's doable, like others have said it would depend on the magnetic properties of the metal

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: