Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Modding Servos for Continuous Rotation.....

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Sept 12 2012, 05:36PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
... ok ill try just the two 2.2k resistors and then ill try a basic stamp and play with the PWM,then post the results here.
Patrick
Thu Sept 13 2012, 06:58PM
the problem im having now is:

when i first click the switch to run the Basic program, it starts rotating really fast (2x) then over the course of 2 seconds it slows to 1x, if i re-run the program, it wont happen again. even if i unplug the battery for 10 seconds.

If i plug the battery back in and leave it of for 5 or more minutesand then run the progam. it will be fast then slow again.

its really confounding, the way i see it, it must be the HS-55 servo circuit board. ?

EDIT: yep its the HS-55, it has a non repeatable, non-linearity, when static inputs are made. when i put a airtronics servo in parallel both servos run and only the HS-55 shows the problem.
Ok if the hardware or the coding is crap, then ill chop out the PCB from the HS-55, then put in an SMT H-bridge. since i only need direction and one speed...
Carbon_Rod
Fri Sept 14 2012, 08:33AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Note the servo control loop is trying to "match" the input reference pulse signal with a PLL.

Usually cheaper servos are less forgiving of the timing ranges, and that is why you can form a beat-frequency on the input. Try 20Hz & 50Hz around 20% on times, and slowly reduce the on-time through the entire range.... you will find the acceptable ranges vary widely among brands.

Deviating from the tolerances too much can impact the center band, as sometimes the axial variable resister is not simply a voltage divider reference in some brands....

Also, sometimes it is better to calibrate your controllers software with an oscilloscope than assume the delays are consistent with the observed ranges found by sweeping the operational ranges.

wink
Link2

IntraWinding
Fri Sept 14 2012, 12:46PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
When I looked at servos recently I found they just replace the pot with a couple of equal value resistors which add up to about what the pots end to end value is.
They generally refer to a servo modded like this as a "360° servo", which is very annoying if, like me, you're looking for a servo that actually works as a servo over 360° rather than as a speed controlled motor. I gave up trying to get a search engine to sift out what I wanted from the others...
Carbon_Rod
Wed Sept 19 2012, 03:44AM
I just remembered some cheap knock-off mini servos can use a logarithmic scale Audio turn pot.

@Patrick:
You may wish to measure the sweep on another unit to see if the resistance changes linearly or not...

Cheers,
Rod
Patrick
Wed Sept 19 2012, 03:52AM
Carbon_Rod wrote ...

I just remembered some cheap knock-off mini servos can use a logarithmic scale Audio turn pot.

@Patrick:
You may wish to measure the sweep on another unit to see if the resistance changes linearly or not...

Cheers,
Rod
i said : "crap", when i first read this, but remember carbon rod, it only happens once on power up, then never agian, its almost like a cap charging...
Conundrum
Wed Sept 19 2012, 06:07PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Wonder if anyone has attempted to use a small magnet from an optical deck assembly with a linear HE sensor?
That ought to work, and be highly repeatable.
-A
Carbon_Rod
Thu Sept 20 2012, 05:08AM
Link2

Patrick
Thu Sept 20 2012, 06:37AM
Ive seen the squiggle motors before, but how much $, and can i get one 26 inches long?
Carbon_Rod
Fri Sept 21 2012, 05:47AM
I am sure they could be sold by the furlong, but the price may be out of budget.
wink

Small Firgelli linear actuators are $9 a pair if you know what to buy:
Link2

Some people even make them (note the relative size of the resister in the background):
Link2

If precision isn't an issue, than telescoping two pieces of greased 8' box channel aluminum should be trivial.

However, hobby-shops should also sell the <1/4" (its mostly metric) hard-brass versions which could have a metal follower-nut brazed into one end of a inner hollow piston, a roller-bearing cup set in the outer sleeve for the leadscrew, and a "belt-drive" wheel assembly with quadrature interrupter patterns cut into it.
...note adding a zero/home switch is trivial if the frame is grounded wink

A note about direct-drive gears, the cheap ones are only as good as their weakest tooth.
This is why small CNC machines & lathes prefer belt drives on power output sections.

Note small linear servos are cheap:
Link2
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: