Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Modding Servos for Continuous Rotation.....

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Sept 05 2012, 08:26PM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
When modding the usuall servos that have mechanical stops and seperate potetiometers, is there a deliberate position to leave the pot in?

should it be cenetered? it seems like fixing the pot in one position, and sending PWM signals should not just control continous CW and CCW rotation, but the speed of rotation as well.

any hints, i plan to try it tonight but i dont want to CA glue the pot till im totally sure.

Steve Conner
Wed Sept 05 2012, 10:06PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Seems to me like the servo would just spin endlessly if the pot was disconnected. I guess it depends if the internal control loop is P or PI.
Patrick
Wed Sept 05 2012, 10:54PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Seems to me like the servo would just spin endlessly if the pot was disconnected. I guess it depends if the internal control loop is P or PI.
I dont mean disconnecting the pot, you dont do that for fear of what you mention. you turn the pot up or down then fix it in place permenttely, i think. Then you can send less than or more than the center 1500uS pulse for speed and direction... i just dont know where to turn the pot and leave it.
Thu Sept 06 2012, 01:08AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You usually want to set it in the center, so that sending a command for 'center' results in no rotation, and longer/shorter pulse widths give cw/ccw rotation. I am not exactly sure what you mean with the speed part, with all of the servos I have played with (pot centered) the speed has been proportional to the input pulse length.
Patrick
Thu Sept 06 2012, 02:50AM
... wrote ...

You usually want to set it in the center, so that sending a command for 'center' results in no rotation, and longer/shorter pulse widths give cw/ccw rotation. I am not exactly sure what you mean with the speed part, with all of the servos I have played with (pot centered) the speed has been proportional to the input pulse length.
yes, yes yes !!! thats what i thought, keep it centered, then send the center command (1500uS) for stop.

but does it have to be perfect or can the pot be off a little, then compensate by nudging the 1500uS pulse up or down a tiny bit for zero rotation?
Sulaiman
Thu Sept 06 2012, 12:18PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I believe that the speed of rc servos is determined by the supply voltage and the motor type,
i.e. the controller just switches the + and - supples to the motor.

There is almost always an offset in practice, that's why rc controllers have an offset adjuster.
You can have any offset you wish, then compensate at the controller end.
Patrick
Thu Sept 06 2012, 04:30PM
ill have to try it then tonight.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Sept 07 2012, 08:10AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Measure the larger axial variable resister value, and replace with two identical matched 1% resisters or a good 20-turn variable resister brick. Cut off the internals of the variable resister and the stop-tab to allow continuous rotation. Thus, one can have a more mechanically reliable and predictable control calibration using this method.

You may also wish to wrap the servo body in grounded copper Foil tape as some brands may be sensitive to RF noise affecting positions.

Every hobby servo may still require timing calibration even with precise mcu timing, but note sending no signal usually stops rotation. This is due to the back-EMF from the motor being used in the control loop of the servo.

Cheers,
Rod

Patrick
Sat Sept 08 2012, 03:31AM
ive removed the pot labeled 5k, yet it reads 4.8k end to end, so the nearest standard value is...im thinking of using 2.2k in series, otherwise ill have to add 200 ohms more in each branch.
Sun Sept 09 2012, 04:14PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
A pair of 2.2k should work fine, although frankly just leaving the old pot in place works fine too as long as you can find a spot to put it. Like you said, you can null out any small error by adjusting the pulse width slightly, hobby servos usually aren't super precise devices to start with.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: