Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Where to buy new pulse rated aluminium electrolytics?

Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sun Aug 19 2012, 12:45AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I agree with the use of 'common' electrolytic capacitors,
make sure that the voltage is not reversed - (reliable diode)

In terms of capacitance/cost and esr/cost and esl/cost
an array of smaller electrolytics is better than one large electrolytic.
Commercial dc bus capacitors often consist of many 'push-fit' electrolytic capacitors
in series/parallel arrays. (opposite sides of a double-sided pcb as the bus voltages)

To be safe,
make part of your wiring using wire small enough to act as a fuse if things go wrong.
Adam
Sun Aug 19 2012, 04:39AM
Adam Registered Member #3821 Joined: Fri Apr 08 2011, 02:20AM
Comparing the ESR of lots of small caps in parallel vs a few large ones is good advice Sulaiman and will certainly be an important consideration.

Dr. ISOTOP, I am building this for someone else, so since it's not my money I'm spending I'm prepared to spend the extra if it means there is less chance of a component failing!
grythumn
Wed Sept 12 2012, 08:48PM
grythumn Registered Member #4021 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 10:09PM
Adam wrote ...

A google search brings up manufacturers' data sheets for various capacitors, epcos make them up to 2500uF @ 500v which sound great but I can't find anywhere that sells them in small (~10) quantities.

Where can I buy large (>200J) pulse rated caps?

Assuming you mean the b43415c6258a000, arrow europe has 50-odd of them in stock for about ~$50 each.

Link2

Just pick some candidate part #s, and run them through the (fairly lengthy) distributor list.

Link2,locale=en,typeId=distri,countryId=US,stateId=.htm l

-R C
Yandersen
Thu Oct 04 2012, 03:26AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
I have those:
Link2
IMO, only this type of caps are suitable for coilgun "built the right way". As those are non-polar, no diode required for protection, which also gives possibility of short pulse duration which length strictly determined by caps' capacitance and coil' inductance (so there could be NO suckback!). Low ESR of this type of caps contributes greatly as well as low parasitic inductance. Sure, film caps are larger than electrolythics for the same energy stored, and price is higher too. But I assure you, that efficiencies gained by non-polar system do cover those disadvantages. By my exp, the main problem in non-polar system is the connection between the charger and the capacitor bank. During coil's firing voltage of caps is reversed, and high current starts to flow directly through the secondary coil of the transformer, frying out output rectifiers and the trans. The ugly solution is to disconnect the charger by a switch just before firing, then fire using the other switch. Headache for the gunner, used to push one trigger (currently I'm working on automated system driving the charger and mosfet switch). And if sequence is messed up, pieces of rectifiers from charger got accelerated in random directions together with the bullet...
With the caps linked above (I used 4 of them in parallel) I have achieved efficiency of 4+% from single coil and 6.66% from 2-stage coilgun (using recuperated 34% energy left from first stage), with second stage showing efficiency of 12+%. Feel the difference from "standard" results of 1%? And I'm sure that it could be much better if I had wire thicker than 0.7mm.
So give a try to non-polar caps - they deserve it. But stack-constructed ones, just as on the link above - not the cylindrical-shaped, as those have no advantages over regular electrolythic. Stack-constructed film caps have extrimely low ESR and ESL, which is just what is needed for coilgun, and they allow reverse charging giving an easy way for energy recuperation and letting us free from using "suckback diode". Think about it.
And BTW, sorry for offtop about film caps, but I think the topic has such strict name just because noone yet really considered not electrolythic caps as those to have for coilgun, which is not fair, IMHO.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: