All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla motors

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ben
Thu Aug 03 2006, 02:43PM Print
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
Tesla motors

Anyone here converted their own car?
dan
Thu Aug 03 2006, 03:03PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
Damn even the engineering section is one big sales pitch. I mean it took an entire paragraph just to say it uses and induction motor. My concern is not the efficiency of the motor but that of the power electronics to convert the DC to AC. Plus at last check lithium ion batteries are still rather pricey. Gas is still cheaper when you consider the cost of electricity to charge it. So your not really saving anything and charge time would be pathetic. I mean if you’re running low on gas you can just pull into a gas station and fill up in a matter of minutes. Assuming you can just plug it into any outlet it would probably take hours to recharge.(unless it's a hybrid then the gas engine can take over) I'm all for greener technology but this is just moving the pollution from cars to fossil fuel power plants. Until we switch over completely to solar/wind/hydro/(nuke mistrust ) power then there really isn't much point to have an electric car. [/rant]
Pete
Thu Aug 03 2006, 03:22PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
Well I haven't converted my car, but I did build an electric bicycle. And I can say that I do not contribute to the use of fossil fuels. I have a great setup. It is a 600 watt electric motor that I was able to adapt to my rear tire by some nifty welded tubing, sprocket and bike chain.

But the beauty is in the charging system.

I have taken an older bicycle, made it stationary and adapted a generator to it. I run the output to an inverter to take it to 120v AC because my battery charger is a bought unit and runs AC. That in turn charges my battery pack. I pedal at home and it charges everything.

The whole things was a bit expensive though. 2 bicycles, chargers, generators, controllers and Li-ion batteries were a bit much.

But, I can pedal and get exercise at home and ride around outside on my electric bike.

Pete
Ben
Thu Aug 03 2006, 03:58PM
Ben Vigilatny
Why not just pedal around outside?? Rube goldberg exercise? cheesey

The only advantage I see is that central generation can be more efficient(perhaps enough to offset transmission and conversion losses), and the pollution from it can be more easily controlled.

I don't think electric cars will really catch on until ultracapacitors get large enough, or fuel cells get cheap enough.

Still this car does 0-60 in 4 seconds. They seem to think a gt edition would do it in 2.9 s. I just want one for that reason. Of course at $100,000, it's a bit steep.

This article says there will eventually be a $45-$50k version, which if it has the same performance, I would seriously consider.

Also that article has a pretty compelling argument for central generation in terms of efficiency and grams of CO2 released per km of travel
dan
Thu Aug 03 2006, 04:02PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
It's probably more efficient just to pedal when you ride your bike. tongue Is the motor strong enough to get you up a steep hill at a decent speed? How far can you usually get on a full charge? What’s the top speed? I always wanted to build an electric bike but they are illegal here. (Here in canada they are classified as a motor vehicle and since they don't have signals, licence plates or a way to register them as such they are illegal to drive on any public road. frown )
Alex
Thu Aug 03 2006, 05:13PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
dan wrote ...
Plus at last check lithium ion batteries are still rather pricey. Gas is still cheaper when you consider the cost of electricity to charge it. So your not really saving anything and charge time would be pathetic. I mean if you’re running low on gas you can just pull into a gas station and fill up in a matter of minutes. Assuming you can just plug it into any outlet it would probably take hours to recharge.(unless it's a hybrid then the gas engine can take over) I'm all for greener technology but this is just moving the pollution from cars to fossil fuel power plants.
The idea is that you charge it up at home and run it all day (maybe you'd plug it in at work, too). A full charge takes "as little as" 3.5 hours. so it's probably impractical to, say, try to drive from Maine to Florida over the weekend. How much you're actually saving in terms of oil usage depends on how you get your electricity. The electricity for my town comes from a hydroelectric dam.

On the topic of price... They don't give one, but here's my guess: Way more than your average schmuck can afford.

Neat car though. Where do I sign up for beta testing?
Pete
Thu Aug 03 2006, 05:29PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
It was a post in futility. An Idea in Rube Goldbergness. I actually rent a bike when I go. I don't actually own a bike.

But I thought it was a novel Idea. :)

But along the same lines, there was a predacessor to this. IT was called the T-Zero I believe. IT had about the same range. Good acceleration and speed. Li-ion system. Expensive and poorly marketed.
Ben
Thu Aug 03 2006, 05:46PM
Ben Vigilatny
Alex wrote ...

On the topic of price... They don't give one, but here's my guess: Way more than your average schmuck can afford.
From the article I linked:
wrote ...
We have 100 collector's edition cars for sale that require a $100,000 up front deposit for purchase and only a few units are left.

As for beta testing a car, they usually leave that to professionals, because a car crash is a little more profound than a BSOD.
Alex
Thu Aug 03 2006, 06:51PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Ben wrote ...

As for beta testing a car, they usually leave that to professionals, because a car crash is a little more profound than a BSOD.
Indeed.

I guess I skimmed over your post.. 100k is a bit much, but 45-50k isn't so bad for a fancy car like that, and you wouldn't be unloading your wallet at the pump anymore, so that could go towards payments.
benbradley
Thu Aug 03 2006, 07:20PM
benbradley Registered Member #312 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:50AM
Just the other day I read about this, these articles and discussions have interesting comments (of varying quality, as always).
Here are two slashdot stories on it:
Test Driving the Tesla Roadster
Link2
Electric Cars and Their Discontents
Link2
They link to this Wired story which appears more informative than the Tesla website (or at least most of the hype is removed):
Link2,71414-0.html?tw=rss.index
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: