Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Repository of knowledge?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sat May 19 2012, 09:38AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.
With the recent discussions about censorship, and other issues such as unreliable power, etc it got me thinking.
Is it worthwhile for all us 4HV'ers to back up our collected knowledge onto something more substantial than the cloud, so that in the event of a major disaster we can at least rebuild the community?

I suggest copying all the useful files such as semiconductor datasheets, research notes, ongoing projects and suchlike onto non encrypted pendrives, then sending them to one of several geographically separate locations.
Copying over the Net is also feasible as long as file integrity can be guaranteed..

Any comments?
Sulaiman
Sat May 19 2012, 09:59AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've over 5000 semiconductor datasheets on my pc and the ability to run off-grid.

Putting all our datasheets in one cache would not help much, you need to have multiple copies buried all over the world to keep them safe - personal computing would probably punishable by lobotomy anyway.

In such a scenario protecting semiconductor datasheets would not be one of my priorities.

If you are really worried fill a few satelites with all known knowledge and send them into orbits that would make them accessible once a century/millenium etc.
Conundrum
Sat May 19 2012, 10:42AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
I was thinking more in the event of a hypothetical 1859 level solar storm wiping out the power grid, or complete failure of the world's IT infrastructure here.

Having backups of things like medical knowledge, as well as improvised power sources would be incredibly useful and could save lives.
Sort of like how amateur radio can be used as a communications channel in the event of a national emergency situation.
Neet Studio
Sat May 19 2012, 01:19PM
Neet Studio Registered Member #4037 Joined: Fri Jul 29 2011, 03:13PM
Having datasheets around won't do you any good. It is not like they are the semiconductor masks or the actual designs. Even with the actual masks etc., the machinery at the fab are controlled by embedded computers etc and probably not going to work in your scenario.

Old textbook (dead tree edition as opposed to DRM eBook) on the other hand would be much more useful to rebuild/relearn "the world". They don't disappear with EMP. They are in University libraries, book stores and book shelves.

In case of an emergency, your priorities are food, water, medicine, weapons and communications.

Note: "The World" in B-movies always seem to be in North America (or their target market) and not globally. There is a good chance that the other side of the Earth might be okay.
Ben Solon
Sat May 19 2012, 01:41PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
while building your own semi's after a situation like this(or any other time) is impossible for us, what if we need to build some sort of device after a storm. maybe a radio? any you don't even have info on that rf mosfet you have laying around? i have experienced this sometimes when the isp is down. i am completely unable to advance in a project. sometimes i print out datasheets of parts i commonly use. i think this backup idea is a good idea, but not with flashdrives in one or a few locations. we would have to rebuild the internet to even be able to get everyone access to them.
Neet Studio
Sat May 19 2012, 02:14PM
Neet Studio Registered Member #4037 Joined: Fri Jul 29 2011, 03:13PM
My first 24hr+ power outage in a high rise building taught me that water, food storage/preparation and heating are my first priorities. Any longer, I would be in an emergency center. I was cooking ramen noodles using a penny stove with isopropyl alcohol for a recent 8 hour outage. ;P

If you can calmly actually sit down and build circuits, that means you are not in much of a "Planet of the Ape" type of disaster.

I hope you do enjoy working with butane soldering iron under candle light and powering your electronics with salt or vinegar batteries...
Thomas W
Sat May 19 2012, 02:54PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
im just going to hope it doenst happen in my lifetime ^^
Ash Small
Sat May 19 2012, 07:35PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Start collecting parts for a vacuum system if you want to DIY your own electronics. Personally I'd forget MOSFET's, etc. and concentrate on valve (vacuum tube) technology.

(See recent threads on DIY vacuum tubes)

These would probably be immune to an EMP anyway.
radiotech
Sat May 19 2012, 09:10PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The grid is only somewhat dependent on the communications/telemetry infrastructure.
It is designed to keep up provided supervisory control signals are valid. After that it reverts
to various degrees of stand down status. (steam systems are tripped, penstock valves close,
and dams open spillways.

With the controls destroyed, power dispatching can still take place, by reverting to
manning substations with operators and running the generation plants locally.

Fusion, fire, water, and rivers provides most of the electricity that people who
live in cities need to survive.

Hinterland dwellers do not really need electricity to survive. By the time the urban
sector could adapt outside a Northern city, most of them would be dead anyway.
Steve Conner
Sat May 19 2012, 09:55PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Don't know about you, but my workshop has an intranet with a server that provides a version control system for code, and dispenses datasheets and other documentation.

The datasheets are on the server because, in this day and age of DatasheetArchive.com buying their way to the top of the search results and making you click through three pages of ads, it's easier to host them locally.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: