Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Questions about projectile

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Saz43
Fri Mar 02 2012, 07:26PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
The cylindrical projectile would probably have slightly better magnetic coupeling with the coil, but I think the losses that come with sharpening the last few centimeters are going to be miniscule. The sharpened tip gives you greater advantages, such as less drag and more importantly, more penetrating power. I like to build my coilguns to do as much damage as possible, and the sharp tip is necessary to get the killing power.
klugesmith
Fri Mar 02 2012, 08:29PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Here are three other ideas for making laminated projectiles to reduce eddy currents.

1. Glue together a stack of "I" laminations from a transformer core, to make bar with a square cross section. Could wrap with fiberglass for more strength.

2. If you can get a sufficiently thin sheet of steel, roll it into a very thick-walled tube. OK to leave a steel mandrel in the center (like a sardine-can key?) The spiral cross-section can't conduct circumferential eddy current, if the turns are insulated from each other. For example, use painted metal from a "tin" cookie container.

3. Use a dense bundle of straight steel wires, bonded with epoxy. Could use glass tubing or a test-tube as sacrificial mold -- make barrel to fit projectile, instead of the other way around. Vacuum methods might help to get good resin penetration.

Have you got your hands dirty yet? How about making and characterizing a coilgun with traditional solid-steel projectiles? Then you would have a reference system, against which to compare the alleged benefits of eddy-current suppression or "external iron".
Turkey9
Sat Mar 03 2012, 06:54PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Yeah I may vote for a no sharpened tip projectile, but all of mine are sharpened! smile Have you thought of using JB weld? As far as I know it's not conductive but is impregnated with steel filings so you would already be part of the way there. Plus, JB weld is some of the strongest epoxy I know of. It is actually used to fix cracks in the pistons in engines where my step dad works. You might not have a problem with chipping.
Forty
Sat Mar 03 2012, 09:31PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I already suggested J-B weld :P Their website said it was insulating, so that's good. I'll try it out myself sometime soon.
I've tried the I laminations before. If you use pieces from several transformer sizes then you can form more of a rounded shape by putting the widest sections in the middle and decreasing the width as you stack them up (might provide slightly better fill factor that way if you choose to surround the laminations with epoxy to make it round.) You could also just leave it as a square and use square holed transformer bobbin to make your coil on. A square barrel could be tricky though...
I've considered the wire segment idea before because i saw the same sort of core used in a classroom demo device. Can't think of a source material to use though.
the sheet metal spiral is a new one. I wonder if that ultraperm shielding they're always trying to sell on goldmine would work well. Just a thought. Would those super permeability materials even be good to use?
Oh and directly comparing two different projectiles using the same coil setup wouldn't be the best comparison unless you could somehow get their size and mass to be equal. I think what you'd have to do is find the optimum coil/initial position for each projectile and then compare the efficiency (using the same bank and switching.)
There's gotta be a better way than that to compare the materials though. Something with a permanent magnet maybe? or use it in the core of an electromagnet and do something with it? any ideas?

I agree that the projectile should be pointed if you intend to shoot it at anything hard. If the front is flat, then a ding or hard impact could misshape the edge and cause it to catch on the inside of the barrel.

Anyways, Pink have you tried anything yet or are you still just theorizing?
ZakWolf
Sat Mar 03 2012, 09:47PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
I wanted to give this a "shot" (sorry) and im going to use steal filings and shape lock.

Im going to put it to a section cut from the barrel for the mold, and as it cools shape some stabilizing fins on the back.

just my two cents

Pinkamena
Sun Mar 04 2012, 06:10PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Forty wrote ...

SNIP
Anyways, Pink have you tried anything yet or are you still just theorizing?

Just theorizing :)
I'll be building it the summer, and I am taking my time planning it.
Yandersen
Fri Oct 05 2012, 04:25PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Did anyone thought about or tried to make a projectile from a piece of thick-wall iron pipe, length-cutted? Something like 10mm in outer diameter, 6mm inner, 15mm in length. Just another theoretical idea, but IMHO such projectile may be accelerated with higher efficiency, have lower eddy loses and be more stabile in air. If velocity is high, screw-thread on the inner part may give it some spinning also due to the compressed air going through it. Sure, making such projectile require special equipment, but maybe anyone have it? =>
Yandersen
Wed Dec 05 2012, 02:49AM
Guys, I want to buy a machine for making projectiles out of iron rod. Any suggestions? Who has it already - where the hell did you get one?! =(
Yanom
Wed Dec 05 2012, 03:06AM
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
Yandersen wrote ...

Did anyone thought about or tried to make a projectile from a piece of thick-wall iron pipe, length-cutted? Something like 10mm in outer diameter, 6mm inner, 15mm in length. Just another theoretical idea, but IMHO such projectile may be accelerated with higher efficiency, have lower eddy loses and be more stabile in air. If velocity is high, screw-thread on the inner part may give it some spinning also due to the compressed air going through it. Sure, making such projectile require special equipment, but maybe anyone have it? =>

Thought about this. It seems that you'd want your projectile mass closer to the wall of the coil, so it could be hollow....
and shorter projectiles are better right? Is that true up to a point or would it be good to have a coin-shaped projectile shorter than it is wide?
Yandersen
Wed Dec 05 2012, 11:54AM
The hole through projectile will increase efficiency only for coils with few layers of wire. For most efficient shape (3x outer to inner diameter) it will not add any significant benefit as field inside such coils is almost constant all over the hole.
I am not completely sure about overshortening the projectile. The shorter the coil the better, yes, but overshortening projectile by making it's length close to diameter or even shorter may be not efficient even for such short coils. And the shorter the projectile the less stable it in the air.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: