Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Questions about projectile

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Wed Feb 29 2012, 07:40PM Print
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Hello!
I am currently 3 or 4 months into designing my coilgun, and I have begun putting some real thought into the projectile, and so I have some questions.

1. Is there such a thing as a "perfect" length to diameter ratio?

2. What would be the best material for casting? I have already decided a long time ago that I want to make my projectile using iron filings and some sort of material suitable for casting. Resin has crossed my mind, but that seems awfully fragile.

3. Regarding the front end of the projectile, I had thought of getting it machined from a piece of iron. That way it won't just be dead weight, but will be accelerated as well as the rest of the projectile. Problem is, I'll get eddie currents if the head is solid. So I was thinking of putting slits into it like this, and then filling them with some sort of hard, nonconductive material. What do you think of that idea?

1330544139 4237 FT0 Orto
1330544139 4237 FT0 Top

4. Lastly, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Legit_bacon
Wed Feb 29 2012, 08:17PM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM

AHAHA!!! well that would be 42 of course, unless it was about 11...
Saz43
Wed Feb 29 2012, 10:19PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Pinkamena wrote ...

Probably not. But a long, slender projectile will develop a weaker demagnetizing field, which works against the magetnizting field of the coil. Link2 (section 9)

Pinkamena wrote ...

Over 9000 quadratic furlongs per acre
Forty
Wed Feb 29 2012, 10:48PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
1,843,200 gallons per square inch fortnight

(20mph)

edit: your projectile tip looks very nice. A powdered iron projectile would be good so long as you can find a
way to keep it from shattering every time it hits something. Perhaps a thin walled shell could be cut on a lathe from
plastic (or teflon), and then that filled with your iron mixture. You'll gain some air gap but at least the rounds can be fired more than once. A longer, dart like projectile would be something cool to see, and with the denser steel tip at the front, you might gain a little stabilization from it.
Turkey9
Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:27AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Unless you're going to utilize some sort of stabilizing technique, your projectile isn't going to need a nose cone. I would also imagine that it would perform better with a purely conic shape. With a nose cone or a tapered tip, you get an air gap for the first little bit of acceleration that will hurt efficiency.

If you do go with the nose cone, but slot it, why not just make a single piece and slot the entire projectile? Sounds overly complicated to me.
Pinkamena
Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:58AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Unless you're going to utilize some sort of stabilizing technique, your projectile isn't going to need a nose cone. I would also imagine that it would perform better with a purely conic shape. With a nose cone or a tapered tip, you get an air gap for the first little bit of acceleration that will hurt efficiency.

If you do go with the nose cone, but slot it, why not just make a single piece and slot the entire projectile? Sounds overly complicated to me.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go with a conic shape then. The reason I am not making the projectile out of a single piece, is because I want to have better control of the dimensions. If I cast it myself, I can easily control the dimensions, and make many projectiles. Besides, I do not have access to machinery for working with metal.

Saz43 wrote ...

Pinkamena wrote ...

Probably not. But a long, slender projectile will develop a weaker demagnetizing field, which works against the magetnizting field of the coil. Link2 (section 9)
Interesting. I'll go with a long and slender projectile then.

Forty wrote ...

Your projectile tip looks very nice. A powdered iron projectile would be good so long as you can find a
way to keep it from shattering every time it hits something. Perhaps a thin walled shell could be cut on a lathe from
plastic (or teflon), and then that filled with your iron mixture
. You'll gain some air gap but at least the rounds can be fired more than once. A longer, dart like projectile would be something cool to see, and with the denser steel tip at the front, you might gain a little stabilization from it.

Now where to find teflon sheets... Good idea though.

But do you guys have any insight to what sort of material I should mix the iron filings into? As I said, resin would work, but it seems a little too fragile. Are there any sort of materials that when it hardens, becomes extremely durable?
Forty
Thu Mar 01 2012, 05:51PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I was thinking more of a teflon rod that you'd cut to length and then bore out a cavity from the end using a lathe or carefully with a drill. Delrin could work too.
I think the problem with the bonding material for the filings is that you want as much iron and as little filler as possible. So with such a small amount of the bonding agent dispersed all over within the slug, it doesn't have sufficient strength to hold together.

Anyone know how powdered iron toroids are made? Are they sintered or something?

Another shell idea would be to use a conductive material with a single slot along the length. you could stick that in a mold (so it doesn't open up) and then pack it with your iron epoxy mix. A material source that comes to mind (because I was just looking at them yesterday for a barrel) would be an aluminum arrow shaft. They're approx 0.3" diameter, not sure if you wanted larger than that.

something like J-B Weld might be more durable than standard epoxy.
Pinkamena
Thu Mar 01 2012, 08:22PM
Instea of using teflon, wouldn't it be better to use a composite material like carbon fiber?
And regarding iron powder toroids, I saw a person on youtube who mixed the iron with standard fiberglass resin.
Turkey9
Fri Mar 02 2012, 12:54AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
EDIT I meant to say cylindrical, not conic. My point was that you shouldn't have a tip at all on the projectile.
Pinkamena
Fri Mar 02 2012, 02:42PM
Turkey9 wrote ...

EDIT I meant to say cylindrical, not conic. My point was that you shouldn't have a tip at all on the projectile.

I think it should. Not for better aerodynamics, but because the projectile will shatter too easily if it doesn't have a solid tip that can distribute the force of impact across the entire area of the projectile. I'll make the projectile out of a fragile resin/iron powder mix, remember?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: