Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help with Hacking the MS Kinect.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Fri Feb 17 2012, 02:13AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
im researching the MS Kinect device, to give my flying bot some vision. But i dont know how or if the kinect can be run via microcontroller or if it has to berun from a X86 type lame machine...? id like to get it running off a embedded microprocessor if possible.

EDIT: so far the web sources dont seem all that great, if some one knows of a good credible source please post it here.
im searching diydrones too.
So far, it looks like it has to report to a conventional computer, and im not wanting to drag one of those around the sky.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Feb 17 2012, 03:21AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
OpenNI PPA built lib (should have the Git url for local builds):
Link2
demo:
Link2
Link2

ROS module:
Link2
Built info for 1.15GHz SheevaPlug ARM board:
Link2
Note the stability issues some people have reported:
Link2

Low level driver lib with SLAM support:
Link2

People normally use a powerful computer to run this type of mapping system.
However, some simply relay the streams of information over a light-weight wireless-USB-cable-adapter or router (about 100m range). Few routers will natively support these types of USB media devices, but writing a client proxy stream server should be easy.

Note a used Dual-core mini-Netbook with a broken LCD is very inexpensive... wink

Best of luck,
Patrick
Fri Feb 17 2012, 03:41AM
Youre links are great !!!

Carbon_Rod wrote ...

People normally use a powerful computer to run this type of mapping system.
However, some simply relay the streams of information over a light-weight wireless-USB-cable-adapter or router (about 100m range). Few routers will natively support these types of USB media devices, but writing a client proxy stream server should be easy.

Note a used Dual-core mini-Netbook with a broken LCD is very inexpensive... wink

yeah but my professors think its "lame" to strap a laptop to a machine needing some computational ability... but wifi is what everyone else uses to link the drone to the desktop. id rather use my STM32F4 if possible.

Link2 small objects seen on youtube.

Link2 SLAM seen on youtube.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Feb 17 2012, 04:30AM
You are likely going to have to get something a little more powerful if a 1.15GHz chip is choking on the bandwidth. Your board is perfect for control problems, but will be unlikely to handle the data.

I have seen quite a few people get caught by the build-it-from-scratch curse.
Some students end up trying to fix driver issues, erratic hardware glitches, power failures, and non-repairable system failures.

These guys made it work, but fell for the "easy" sonar scam:
Link2
Papers:
Link2

LOL... seems like they did it the easy way too... wink
Link2
Link2
Link2

Here are the ROS packages in the videos (note link 1 uses ground estimation so in theory an IMU is secondary):
Link2

Link2

cheers,
Patrick
Fri Feb 17 2012, 06:11AM
Carbon_Rod wrote ...

You are likely going to have to get something a little more powerful if a 1.15GHz chip is choking on the bandwidth. Your board is perfect for control problems, but will be unlikely to handle the data.

I have seen quite a few people get caught by the build-it-from-scratch curse.
Some students end up trying to fix driver issues, erratic hardware glitches, power failures, and non-repairable system failures.

These guys made it work, but fell for the "easy" sonar scam:
Link2
Papers:
Link2

LOL... seems like they did it the easy way too... wink
Link2
Link2
Link2

Here are the ROS packages in the videos (note link 1 uses ground estimation so in theory an IMU is secondary):
Link2

Link2

cheers,

LOL !!! you keep calling Sonar a "SCAM" lol!!! ok its error prone, but not uselesss dam it, and i already spent my pizza money!

im not wanting to build it entirely from scratch, im willing to use existing libraries for C and C++.

(PS -> the unexpected ultrasonic " departure, resulting in fatal deceleration " did cost me $190 US for new gyros.)

klugesmith
Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:22AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Patrick wrote ...
im researching the MS Kinect device, to give my flying bot some vision.
Please tell us what you learn. Is there a developer's kit available?

Just a couple of months ago, I saw a lecture by JDSU about the vision system they developed for MS Kinect. Perhaps the first commercial application for "gesture recognition" technology.
IIRC, to track a user's hands against a cluttered background, they illuminate the scene with the Kinect's own IR laser. Distance detection is based not on light transit time, but on patterned illumination and parallax measurement. Not sure how much of the image processing depends on dedicated hardware.

At distances greater than a few meters, it might be no more useful than a plain camera.

Patrick
Sat Feb 18 2012, 05:28AM
klugesmith wrote ...

Patrick wrote ...
im researching the MS Kinect device, to give my flying bot some vision.
Please tell us what you learn. Is there a developer's kit available?

Just a couple of months ago, I saw a lecture by JDSU about the vision system they developed for MS Kinect. Perhaps the first commercial application for "gesture recognition" technology.
IIRC, to track a user's hands against a cluttered background, they illuminate the scene with the Kinect's own IR laser. Distance detection is based not on light transit time, but on patterned illumination and parallax measurement. Not sure how much of the image processing depends on dedicated hardware.

At distances greater than a few meters, it might be no more useful than a plain camera.

i have not found anything as far as an official dev thingie. but ill report everything here, and yes the laser has a dot making filter over it. so yes it projects dots and then uses line-by-line scan comparisons. i wonder how much of the processing is done on the kinect.

im still researching it, optical flow processing is really complicated and im already thinking of graduate level ideas i want to explore over the next 3-5 years.
Carbon_Rod
Sat Feb 18 2012, 11:42AM
The free MS SDK EULA basically states anything you create belongs to Microsoft:
Link2

Most people end up using open drivers, APIs, and high-level motion capture libraries:
Link2

Cheers,
Pinky's Brain
Sun Feb 19 2012, 03:00PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Patrick wrote ...
im still researching it, optical flow processing
Don't get too seduced by the mathematical elegance of PDE based optical flow ... the underlying assumptions to allow that elegance are utter BS.
Tetris
Sun Feb 19 2012, 05:05PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Someone hacked a MS Kinect, attached it to a controller which was attached to a Tesla Coil. The results were so cool, a person could move their body around, and control the sound of the coil.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: