Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My first 'lytic powered launcher video (video updated at bottom)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Fri Jul 14 2006, 04:23AM Print
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Well, I took my mostly completed prototype launcher with me on my 1 week vacation to visit my folks. Since they have some property I wanted to finish the launcher quick and do some testing. Using a standard outlet (120V), variac, 120V/240V step down transformer, and diode doubler I was able to charge just under 800V on my bank pretty quick. Cant go over 800V with the clamping diodes I have (so thats about 1/2 the max energy capability).

The coils I through together quick and had 2 sizes. Unfortunately neither lasted long. The larger coil broke the form it was in and deformed. The small one was epoxied to polycarbonate, but the shot featured in the video was its last. The very small 2.5" disk I had was to light to launch very high (wind resistance would litteraly limit it to 15 feet high or so). So I decided to give it some weight with a small block of wood and crank the voltage to max (I had already worked up to just about max anyhow). Fearing the worst, I decided to capture it on video since I didnt get any other launches that day on video yet. Upon launch the coil shorted through the disk and blew away about 1/3 of the windings and scorched the disk. There was still plenty of vertical power though, as it split the block of wood in half on the way up and went fairly high.

So now I need to build a good coil and projectile for future testing. I was also unable to get the chrono to work in the vertical position, but will try it more later. Its been several years since I have done any HV/EMP projects, this is the first one since, and its fun to be back at it again! If only I had more time....

Here is the movie
Its mpeg4, 640x480 15MB (will be trying some better programs for .wmv format later).

Update:
Ignore that link above. Here are some newer video clips in wmv format:
Link2 Self-destructive shot with hard drive disk
Link2 Thicker disk chrono'd 210fps
Link2 Launching vertically over trees
FastMHz
Sat Jul 15 2006, 05:22PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Now that's cool....it sounded just like mine do too! (YGPM)
Quantum Singularity
Sun Jul 16 2006, 06:18PM
Thanks Fast, but I dont think that big bang sound was suppose to happen. angry My earlier shots made a bit of a thud along with a metalic ring. Of course at over 3kJ I am sure there is some more noise wink In order for me to get much more that 1.5kJ I need to get some higher V rated diodes (mine are rated at 800V) and a bit higher V supply. But I think I have a lot fo experimenting to do at the current energy level so what I got is good for now. I could even re-arrange my caps into to banks with more capacitance rated at 500V. Plenty of options.

If anyone is interested here is a somewhat simplified schematic of the launcher:
http://tristan.homelinux.net/ringlauncher/launcher1.gif
You could probably consider this a KISS design, its very minimal on parts.
FastMHz
Mon Jul 17 2006, 05:16PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Even ones where the coil survives make a loud bang during launch...all of mine certainly do..I think they make a bang sound because of the sound pressure wave coming off the projectile. 1.5kj is close to where I started before doubling my bank and certainly is enough energy to do some serious launching. The first short, fat ringrocket I launched was a 1.7kj launch and it really went.

I look forward to your future launches! Matter of fact, it's about time I start making some more rockets of my own, you've got me re-inspired...now to find the spare time cry
Quantum Singularity
Tue Jul 18 2006, 12:11AM
BTW, if anyone has had any problems viewing my video or it looks just plain poor let me know. For some reason when I just viewed it at work with XP it looked terrible. Not sure why it would look so different on a different pc unless there was a codec problem... which there might be seing how realplayer is saying its divx encoded yet I do not select the divx option while making the clip. For the price I payed for the plextor external video converter you think it would have better software.

I also appologize that it will taka minute to download since I am currently capped at 650kbps upload, although I plan on upping that to 1Mbps upload, its only $2 more a month but I just havent remembered to call lately. Still not blazing fast but 1Mbps upload is pretty fast for a residential broadband IMO.

Update: got the 1M upload finally amazed
Tue Jul 18 2006, 12:29AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The video looks pretty crappy here in nero or windows media player... It is mostly the effects that did it in, the compression works a lot better with only a little bit of movement, so adding in the effects just kills quality.

But more importantly, how in the world are you getting 1Mb/s up speed on a home line? I get like .2Mb/s cry If I try hard enough it is just enough to get a half decent video stream going (256kb/s wmv looks decent), man what I would do for a full megabit mistrust
Tom540
Tue Jul 18 2006, 02:53AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
1Mb upload is pretty fast. I think im getting maybe half that here. Verizon has a service called FIOS. It's fiber optic cheap and very fast but they only offer it in certain areas. here is not one of them.
Quantum Singularity
Tue Jul 18 2006, 05:49AM
That really sucks you guys are seing the same crappy playback I am seing here at work (I might have to pull the video because it really looks terrible). Its actually a quite good 640x480 30fps movie clip. Must be an issue with the codecs, like perhaps other machines are trying to use the wrong one to decode it? I need to find a good wmv encoder... is there any out there other than downloading from microsoft.com that dont require an authenticy check?

For internet I use WOW Internet and Cable Link2 and I get the ultra package, 6Mbps down / 1Mbps up (well like I said its 650k right now but I will be upping to the 1M soon). Its the fastes home broadband I have personally come across and its solid... last problem I had was over a year ago where I had to powercycle it twice in one week. I did all the wiring myself and using the good stuff really can make a difference too.
Avalanche
Tue Jul 18 2006, 08:17AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
It's fine on my machine, the actual video quality is very good confused

My machione is using the Divx5 codec. Maybe it doesn't play well in xvid?
Dr. Shark
Wed Jul 19 2006, 10:16AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Any chance you could post some stills from the video, Quantum Singularity? My work computer does not like me watching videos...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: