hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

making hydrogen and oxygen from electrolysis

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 08 2011, 01:59AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I know that when two graphite electrodes are put in salty water oxygen and hydrogen are produced. I also remember that one could get Chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide. What determines if one gets H2 and O2, or Cl2 gets produced? Is it the concentration of the salt?
Bjørn
Thu Dec 08 2011, 07:02AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The salt is there to make the water conductive and it is a bad choice for the reasons mentioned. A much better solution is to use NaOH to make the water conductive and stainless steel electrodes.

Only yesterday we had someone in the chatroom have their cell explode on them so some care is needed unless the volume is very small.
Hon1nbo
Thu Dec 08 2011, 01:41PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Bjørn wrote ...

The salt is there to make the water conductive and it is a bad choice for the reasons mentioned. A much better solution is to use NaOH to make the water conductive and stainless steel electrodes.

Only yesterday we had someone in the chatroom have their cell explode on them so some care is needed unless the volume is very small.

I second this.

I was experimenting with MHD propulsion and used saltwater... I could smell chlorine, and I was just using a 9V battery and not even trying to really do any electrolysis. And when I did try for the purpose of making H2 and 02 I could really smell it!

You going to try to collect the gas?

-Jimmy
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 08 2011, 02:57PM
I have no desire to do this now. I did this when I was in high school. My question is academic: what determines if one gets pure H2 and O2, or a combination mixed with Chlorine?

I take it that the explosion was from the mixture of H2 and O2, Bjorn?
GluD
Thu Dec 08 2011, 03:26PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
IamSmooth wrote ...
what determines if one gets pure H2 and O2, or a combination mixed with Chlorine?

The contents of the cell determines the gasses.

If you dont want chlorine, dont put it in your cell.
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 08 2011, 03:31PM
Not quite the answer I was looking for. I understand the contents are important. Does this mean that one will *always* get H2, O2 and Cl2 if salt is used?
GluD
Thu Dec 08 2011, 04:31PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
I am by no means an expert on the subject but I would consider it reasonable to think that if there is chlorine in the cell it will be in the gas as well.

Bjørn mentioned NaOH, I think that is a good advice. Remeber to read the datasheet on this chemical if you are unfamilar with handling it.

You could also just limit the amount of NaCl used, so the amount of chlorine released is insignificant, or use a cold trap to cleanse the gas but that seems rather silly compared to just leaving the chlorine out of the equation altogether, by simply not adding it in the first place.
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 08 2011, 04:46PM
I appreciate your responses, but I am not trying to make it. I've done this already. I am inquiring about what determines the products. I thought I read somewhere that the concentration of the salt had something to do with it.

Using NaOH would solve the Chlorine issue, but that was not my question.
AndrewM
Thu Dec 08 2011, 06:41PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
I would expect that the proportion of liberated gasses is determined by a) the concentration and b) the applied voltage.

IIRC the standard potential to split the water is a bit over 1V, maybe 1.25V or so. I understand that the potential to split NaCl is quite high by chemical standards - wikipedia says 4V for molten NaCl; I don't know if it changes in solution though I would guess not.

Ergo, I believe if your applied voltage is less than 4V (or whatever the standard potential for the NaCl reaction is) then you should get little chlorine. I also suspect that people turn the voltage wayyy up on their electrolyser in order to make gas more quickly, and thats when they run into problems.

Also: I am not a chemist.
Steve Conner
Thu Dec 08 2011, 07:29PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
According to the Wikipedias (which is 100% accurate of course) no oxygen is produced by electrolysing brine. The chloride ion competes with the oxygen one, and you get hydrogen and chlorine. The reaction is:

2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

The explosions might well just be from hydrogen and air.

If you want oxygen, you have to use NaOH or KOH as your electrolyte. Imagine how much worse the explosions would be! Maybe once the reaction has run for a while with NaCl, the NaOH produced can give you oxygen.

Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: