All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Molten Potassium Chlorate

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sophie Amelia
Fri Nov 18 2011, 06:40AM Print
Sophie Amelia Registered Member #4201 Joined: Wed Nov 09 2011, 07:42AM
Hey all, I understand that Potassium Chlorate's melting point is 356 °C and if i were to heat up potassium chlorate using a bunsen burner, how long does it take for it to turn into its molten state?

Also, once in molten state, what material can withstand its heat?

Ash Small
Fri Nov 18 2011, 07:52AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
We probably need more information to help you here, but I'll try.

Metals and ceramics will withstand those temperatures easilt, for example, stainless steel.

I assume molten potassium chlorate will react with some of the alloying elements in stainless steel, but I don't know for sure, so a ceramic, or ceramic coated stainless steel, or ceramic coated metal container may be more suitable. (I've melted aluminium alloy in enamelled cooking pots before, melting point 600-800°C).

As for how long it would take to melt, you'd be much better off building some sort of furnace of kiln, eg using fire bricks or something to contain the heat. I regularly use the bricks from inside old storage heaters, with fireclay, for this purpose.

You can buy ceramic crucibles, etc. for this purpose. you may even have some lying around. What kind of quantities are you planning to melt?
Sophie Amelia
Fri Nov 18 2011, 08:20AM
Ash Small wrote ...

We probably need more information to help you here, but I'll try.

Metals and ceramics will withstand those temperatures easilt, for example, stainless steel.

I assume molten potassium chlorate will react with some of the alloying elements in stainless steel, but I don't know for sure, so a ceramic, or ceramic coated stainless steel, or ceramic coated metal container may be more suitable. (I've melted aluminium alloy in enamelled cooking pots before, melting point 600-800°C).

As for how long it would take to melt, you'd be much better off building some sort of furnace of kiln, eg using fire bricks or something to contain the heat. I regularly use the bricks from inside old storage heaters, with fireclay, for this purpose.

You can buy ceramic crucibles, etc. for this purpose. you may even have some lying around. What kind of quantities are you planning to melt?

Hmmm, i would love to conduct this experiment: Link2 and connect the end of the test tube to a steam engine that needs at least 5 psi. And i hope to run the engine for more than 3 minutes with high speed. So, do you know about how long it takes to melt potassium chlorate?
Conundrum
Fri Nov 18 2011, 08:38AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Well sodium chloride (very similar) does melt.

-A
Ash Small
Fri Nov 18 2011, 09:53AM
Sophie Amelia wrote ...

Hmmm, i would love to conduct this experiment: Link2 and connect the end of the test tube to a steam engine that needs at least 5 psi. And i hope to run the engine for more than 3 minutes with high speed. So, do you know about how long it takes to melt potassium chlorate?

Well, it looks like that's a pyrex test tube he's using to melt it in.

As far as how long it will take, you just need to heat it up to the melting point, or a bit further. It depends on how much you are melting, how much energy (heat) you put in, and how fast it is cooling down, but it shouldn't take long to melt a small amount in a test tube.
Sophie Amelia
Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:40PM
Conundrum wrote ...

-A

Thanks for the idea :) But i think its sodium chlorate instead of sodium chloride. It has a lower melting point of 248 °C which is better i guess. Hmmm... but i will have to check if my country allows me to buy it.
Sophie Amelia
Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:42PM
[/quote1321609764]

Well, it looks like that's a pyrex test tube he's using to melt it in.

As far as how long it will take, you just need to heat it up to the melting point, or a bit further. It depends on how much you are melting, how much energy (heat) you put in, and how fast it is cooling down, but it shouldn't take long to melt a small amount in a test tube.
[/quote1321620053]

Oh ok thanks. I will check out pyrex test tube but i think the reaction still damages the test tube itself. Do you think your previous suggestion of using ceramic material still applies?
GluD
Fri Nov 18 2011, 01:26PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
Conundrum wrote ...

-A

Sodium chloride, NaCl, contains no oxygen. Sodium chlorate, NaClO3 does contain oxygen.

The presence of oxygen is rather crucial if you are attempting to burn gummy bears.

Thus I rather doubt there would be any particular combustion of the gummy bear if the chloride were used in place of the chlorate.

bonus infomation: chlorates are 'controlled substances' in most western countries.
Conundrum
Fri Nov 18 2011, 10:31PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Aaaand... I can think of a nice way to make chlorate from chloride, but for obvious reasons I am not posting it here smile
Ash Small
Sat Nov 19 2011, 10:50AM
Sophie Amelia wrote ...

Do you think your previous suggestion of using ceramic material still applies?

I'm no expert, but I would assume so. As for stainless steel, chlorides attack stainless steel. molted chlorides will attack it more severely, chlorates would presumably attack it even more. (eg, strangely, HCl causes inter-granular pitting, etc, where as HF just 'cleans' it.)

Maybe experiment with different ceramics/ceramic coatings?

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: