All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gold alloys

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
AndrewM
Fri Nov 18 2011, 08:39AM Print
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
When making small quantities of gold alloys in a crucible, will the metals mix naturally upon melting (like pouring water into alcohol or acetone) or does it require stirring to properly mix the alloy?
Inducktion
Fri Nov 18 2011, 05:23PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
As far as I know, gold does not oxidize, and shouldn't need mixing...but, I don't know too much about precious metals, and that's just a wild guess!
Conundrum
Fri Nov 18 2011, 10:24PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Gold might not, but the other metals will.

Best bet is to add some suitable flux to de-oxidise the alloy metals while melting, and melt it in an inert atmosphere.
AndrewM
Sat Nov 19 2011, 01:51AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
I'm trying to make some DIY white gold, which depending on the alloy is gold and palladium plus some combo of silver, copper, or zinc.

I don't believe palladium oxidizes, at least.

So thats the issue, then? - if it oxidizes I'll need to stir and skim, but if it doesn't then it'll probably alloy readily?
Conundrum
Sat Nov 19 2011, 08:35AM
Interesting.
I have some here, if I can find it...

On an aside, does anyone know where to get small amounts of gold? I wanted to try doping Sn4In superconductors with Au nanoparticles to see what it does to the Tc and Jc

-A
Steve Conner
Sat Nov 19 2011, 01:20PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yeah, I always wanted to try that too! Erm, wait, no I didn't.

Anyway I'm sure your local jeweller's shop would sell you a small piece of scrap gold. The trade price for the stuff is some tens of pounds per gram.

I guess the problem would be that you don't know if it's pure, but refining it is probably easy compared to making the room temperature superconductors! wink
Nicko
Sun Nov 20 2011, 11:30AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Getting pure (24 ct) gold is unlikely from a jeweller - they'll probably have 9, 14 or 18 etc. 24ct is bullion and unusual in the West.

I bought a quantity of 24ct Au from a gold mine & refiners in Borneo some years ago - people in that part of the world like 24ct as an investment, but buy it as jewellery, typically chain etc. - it's sold by weight - even the clasp etc. is 24ct. Much deeper yellow, and so soft you can easily mark it with a thumb nail - wears & marks easily, so pretty useless for day-to-day use.

Best bet is to buy a small bit of bullion, either as a small ingot or bullion coin (i.e. certified purity) and then to work with that.
Conundrum
Sun Nov 20 2011, 01:50PM
Thanks!

Fe contamination is especially problematic..

Interesting thought, could a material that superconducts at room temperature actually exist in nature?
Would be cool to have "floating rocks" like on "Avatar" or "Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3-D"

-A
Ocean Waves
Tue Nov 22 2011, 02:34PM
Ocean Waves Registered Member #4181 Joined: Thu Nov 03 2011, 02:39PM
some gold alloys like sky blue and deep purple gold have to be created in an argon furnace, but you can make green gold and red in an electric kiln but i prefer to flood the kiln with hydrogen or propane just enough to deprive oxygen from the mix or use a borax flux ( 20 mule team from walmart in the laundry section)

many variations of these exist these are the basic............

green=79% gold 1%copper 1%iron %19 silver
red = 70% gold 30% copper
sky Blue= 75% gold 5% indium 20% iron
blue= 95% gold 5% iron
white= 50% gold 50% nickel
purple= 50% gold 50% aluminum (purple poison)

iron can be removed completely by adding silica to a borax flux this rapidly forms iron meta slilcate, which is also why you have to use a zrconia crucible or machined graphite when making blue gold

I have always wanted to make a quantity of purple poison, but have never had all the required equipment in one place at once at any given time......

though I might have made a quantity of blue gold electrolytically once when experimenting with potassium ferro cyanide solutions in lixivating gold, using a small electrolytic cell for recovery I was getting a nice light blue crystals with a bright luster plating out on a carbon cathode.......a bit of tweaking to the solution by adding a surfactant might have yielded a smooth bright finish
Conundrum
Sat Nov 26 2011, 08:02PM
Heh, machined graphite.
Not a bad idea.
Just a thought, but would a homemade fire cement crucible work at all?

On an aside, can anyone confirm or deny the conspiracy theory that possessing any quantity of certain specific gold alloys can get you a visit from the MiB's?

Something to do with nuclear weapons but am not aware of the exact use.
Perhaps to do with the initiator, AFAIK polonium-beryllium but plated with this special gold alloy to alter the pulse generation to sharpen the "spike" so the yield goes up.
Without this particular trick the yield of a typical nuke is down in the 500T range instead of the high tens of kilotons.

I know that "FOGBANK" was to do with fusion devices, as it helped control the X-ray pulse that initiated the fusion (aka hydrogen bomb) reaction and was an aerogel doped with beryllium and some other elements which acted like an X-ray equivalent to a laser's Q-switch.
Obviously the specifics are not public but this is extrapolated from the few papers which are.

-A
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: